Thermapen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nspaldi0

Reaction score
I was looking at the thermapen to measure the mash temps and sparge water, but I was concerned that the 4.5 inch probe wouldn't be long enough to go far enough into the mash to get an accurate reading. Am I wrong on this? I haven't done an allgrain batch yet, just extracts and partials but going to be finished with my stand soon and need a good thermo. The thermapen has high remarks. Also, will it work well with 10 gallon batches? Thanks for the help!

I usually brew bigger (abv) 5 gal (7 gal preboil) batches in a igloo ice cube MT. I figure the thermapen gets almost 40% into the depth of the mash - that is close enough to half- way. I check temps in several areas of the mash and often find a 1-2 deg difference towards the end of the mash. Remember, you are measuring the temperature of a fairly large volume of material so the accuracy is limited - think averages not absolutes.
The new pens are water resistant, so the steam and any splashes are not a concern. I just shove it in a few different places up to the hinge and go with those numbers. I know that the numbers I get will be accurate - no futzing around with calibrating dial thermometers, or watching your digital go 8888 at dough in.
Can't speak to 10 gal batches though. I would imagine it depends on the depth of your typical mash and if your measuring temps without a stir.
Highly recommended.
jason

I was looking at the Thermoworks site, and I plan on getting the TW8060 Two Channel Thermocouple and a couple of the PTFE/FEP Tip Probes with longer cables, which are waterproof. That way I can use them to drop into the kettle to check temps (and I could close the lid to keep contaminants out while cooling wort.) I could also use it immersed in two fermenters at the same time to monitor fermentation temps.

That's about $150 for a much more broadly useful thermometer, as opposed to $89 for the thermapen.

I have both the ThermaPen and Thermocouple with the k mount cable style probe. Get the ThermaPen. I find the Thermocouple not to be necessary and not nearly as handy. I mash in a standard 10 Gal cylindrical Rubbermaid water cooler. The ThermaPen is quick, accurate and unquestionably capable of probing deep enough into the grain bed. By using the ThermaPen, for the temperatures here by the beach in So Cal, I'm only getting 1 to 2 degrees of change in a 60 minute mash.

This is why I want to buy a thermapen....

thermometers.jpg

I am sick of the $20 ish thermometers not being accurate!

If you recirculate, then you can measure both the top of the grain bed and the runoff for temperature. This is how I do it, and it works well.

It is a fantastic product. If mine broke tonight, I would order another one within the hour. You will be very pleased with the purchase.

Back