Thermal wire RIMS tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HERMS is archaic to me. Not sure where "direct fire" got a bad rap. Think about it. With HERMs you heat liquid to heat liquid. With RIMs you head liquid. Pretty clear which makes more sense.

AD's design is technically best IMO. Good power properly transferred. I can't personally employ it but I also can't help but think if the big vendors here had a similar solution, HERMs would suffer the fate it deserves (death). Again, my opinion.

Would not copper be the better choice? 401 W/(m K) for copper vs 16 W/(m K) for stainless.
That 25 times better thermal conductivity!
Yes stainless is easier to clean but its a straight length of tubing and cleaning should not be that big an issue
I'm was surprised to stumble across this thread as I'm looking to do something similar to this. Great thread.

Would not copper be the better choice? 401 W/(m K) for copper vs 16 W/(m K) for stainless.
That 25 times better thermal conductivity!
Yes stainless is easier to clean but its a straight length of tubing and cleaning should not be that big an issue
I'm was surprised to stumble across this thread as I'm looking to do something similar to this. Great thread.

Copper better than stainless? Absolutely. SS might be cheaper, tho, and it'll make the LODO people happy too.

Please don't.

I've been designing my electric brewery and I'm thinking about going with something like your RIMS tube. I never would've known about the heat rope without this thread.

I agree.. Why would you delete it..???
Gave me all kinds of ideas and took me to the Iherms thread ( I never knew what a band heater was ).
I was working on a tube based on induction heating but kinda ran into a dead end not being able to find 420 stainless ( Ferritic Stainless ) tubing... At least cheaply.. I'm still toying with it maybe using round 420 bar stock.

Thanks for posting

I was being facetious guys :)

There's always room around here to rediscover and rework old subjects. And there's nothing wrong with people pointing out their similar work from before either.

As was stated, some have been doing an external Rims (eRims?) for quite some time. On my old system I had 3/4" copper pipe for recirc, and I used band heaters for the heat source on the exterior of the pipe. They performed flawlessly.

I have been building a new system now for 2+ years (but not done yet), and will once again be using band heaters.

Band heaters are great because they come in a variety of ID and watts/voltages and if you shop around, you can find them very inexpensive on ebay. My first time using them I picked up 8 x 300w heaters for $32 shipped. Pretty cheap eRims in my book.

I highly recommend this style of Rims-- I personally cannot think of, nor did I ever experience, a drawback. Easy cleaning, cheap, easy to procure/install, stable temps, step mashing is easy, no scorching, etc...

Unfortunately I have no pics of my old set-up on copper pipe, but here is a mock-up pic for my new system (new system piping is 1" sanitary tubing).

img_1425-68086.jpg

:mug:

Dug out the cooler for mashing, until I buy a new second pot.

2r7o6bo.jpg

Costing this out..maybe $125 for everything, including pump and itc308 controller.

Back