There are many brewstands but this one is mine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_cad

Reaction score
This is my brewstand. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My brewstand is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My brewstand, without me, is useless. Without my brewstand, I am useless.

Spent the last couple of days building a 3-tier wood brewstand. I am tired of all the lifting especially with 10 gallon batches.

I did not take pics every step of the way but here you can see I was just checking height.

IMG_20110421_173318.jpg

I placed some durock on burner platforms.
IMG_20110424_175137.jpg

Adjustable shelving for propane tanks or storage. I have not stained the shelves yet.
IMG_20110424_175059.jpg

Side view with propane shelves and burners in place.
IMG_20110424_175039.jpg

I added some storage underneath using adjustable shelf bars so I can drain washed kegs on them.
IMG_20110424_182614.jpg

Here it is with HLT on it.
IMG_20110424_182820.jpg

Here it is pretty close to finished. I wanted it to serve a dual purpose and provide storage for all my stuff so it is probably a little bigger than needed.

IMG_20110424_191242.jpg

I spent about $125 total so I am pretty happy with it. It sure helped me organize the garage and hope to break it in next weekend.

Dude, shouldn't you be painting the house and not playing with your toys?

Seriously, looks pretty good. The caster look on the small side for that much weight. Just something you might want to check. You easily put some safety blocks under the bottom frame when in use, for peace of mind if nothing else. The thought of accidentally dumping a large volume of scalding water makes me nervous.

yea the house is a work in progress, I been scraping and priming the back and replacing windows as you can see. Its hard to keep up with old houses. I been scraping together to build this stand. I would much rather have made one of steel but it was out of the budget. :( Those are 3" casters rated at 200 lbs a piece. I hope they hold up!

Dude, that looks like my idea of a brew stand and one that I could handle given my 10 thumbs. Do you have specs on the stand, I want to simplify my process. I am looking at the Cart System or the Transformer from these guys, but its a bit pricey (www.cajunshoppe.com) and I like the idea of gravity feeds. Their system has a dual burner, one propane tank set up.

Thanks,

Sheldon

It was pretty easy to build. A helper would be nice but I was able to use a few clamps to hold things while I fastened them. The bottom base is made of 2x6 and I made it 6' long x 2' wide. For the base I used wood glue and screws to make sure it was a strong foundation. The 2x4 legs on the tallest platform are close to 4' tall. I just took an 8 foot 2x4 and cut exactly in half. Each platform is 2'x2' with 1/2" plywood on them. I did add extra support in the middle platform since the weight of the mash tun is concentrated in the middle. The burner platforms have durock cement board on them just to be safe. I just started from the bottom and worked my way to the tallest platform constantly using my equipment as a check to make sure I had the heights right.

My burners are a Bayou Classic SP10 for the boil kettle on the bottom and a Bayou Classic SQ14 for the HLT on the top platform.

Dude, that looks like my idea of a brew stand and one that I could handle given my 10 thumbs. Do you have specs on the stand, I want to simplify my process. I am looking at the Cart System or the Transformer from these guys, but its a bit pricey (www.cajunshoppe.com) and I like the idea of gravity feeds. Their system has a dual burner, one propane tank set up.

Thanks,

Sheldon

thanks, I have a brewing buddy that make his own metal rig coming over tonite to brew and will consult, but yours seems the simplest and cheapest.

Good luck on ur dry run.

thanks, I have a brewing buddy that make his own metal rig coming over tonite to brew and will consult, but yours seems the simplest and cheapest.

Good luck on ur dry run.

There's nothing inferior about a wooden rig. There is also nothing that says you can't build a wood/steel hybrid rig.

Looks great John. Ready to see it at Big Brew. Should have our shipment in by Thursday hopefully. Ready for something else on tap.

Hopefully starting on my stand this week, just depends on Brian's schedule. His pops has a nice metal working shop. Saves me from having to run 220 to my shop right now.

Back