The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MalFet said:
Right, but that's my question. Assuming that the overwhelming majority of humanity is now zombified or completely dead, what kind of timeframe are we looking at before the zombie population collapses.

Just getting to that in the comics, they finally released Compendium 2. If something concrete comes out I'll let you know.

bobbrews said:
How? Stating the obvious about you being sensitive is not being condescending.

Claiming your degree allows you to "get" a fictional character represented on comics and adapted to television is condescending.

Just chiming in to say I have a PhD in psychology. I/O and leadership to be exact and Laurie is an albatross around Ricks neck and only furthers to endanger the group. Her character is specifically written in this show to get viewers angry. Never read the graphic novel.

Since we are flashing our degrees around and whatnot. I started brewing as a hobby to get me through the arduous process that was my dissertation. :) cheers and yeah dude you were being condescending but we should all have a brew and root for Rick to save what's left of the day.

Using big words on the internet does not mean you have a degree. But cheers Mr. Arduous Albatross Chimer :)

I do. But I'm doing what I do best... being condescending. Don't you "get" it??? :)

You guys really need to calm down.

Using big words on the internet does not mean you have a degree. But cheers Mr. Arduous Albatross Chimer :)

you are right. But these 3 pieces of paper in mounted frames do.

I know. you'll just say that isnt me, but eh. whatever. it is:) Im done:mug:

WTF? You bunch was chattin' up Zombies. Thought i'd give a little insite seeing as i'm as close as you'll likely find on this site. Must have entered a **** fight. Beg pardon. (butting out)

This has turned from a thread about a great tv show into a penis swinging contest about who knows who on the internet...and how can I prove to you that I'm actually a smart man...

Rifraf and Malfet "get" that better than you because they "know" me. ;)

I know. you'll just say that isnt me, but eh. whatever. it is:) Im done:mug:

I never said anything about me being a smart man. I just wanted to say not all psychologists were condescending. But maybe I was being condescending by saying that. Eh I dunno anymore.

Airborneguy said:
If there's one thing I have in common with the zombies, it's being unable to be sensitive. Rifraf and Malfet "get" that better than you because they "know" me. ;)

Haha you can take the brewers out of the debate forum, but you can't take the debate forum out of the brewers!

WTF? You bunch was chattin' up Zombies. Thought i'd give a little insite seeing as i'm as close as you'll likely find on this site. Must have entered a **** fight. Beg pardon. (butting out)

To a zombie? Mayhaps you can tell us, and this is one of my hang-ups on a genre I actually do enjoy, if they need to eat people to continue their existence, or at least need to eat brains, and damaging the brain is what "kills" zombies, how the hell do zombies biting people make more zombies to the extent it does? Wouldn't the zombies be eating so much of their prey that there is not enough left to create a completely mobile zombie? Especially when a pack of zombies gets on one or a few people.

I get that not everyone bitten gets killed on the spot. Some people get away and turn later on. But this happens by the million. Billion, even. It's like the zombies really just want to take a bite. Just one bite. As a result, we get all these fresh zombies. This is one of the places the zombie mythos falls apart.

How long a zombie lasts depends on what kind it is.

Magic or otherwise supernatural zombies could last hours or eternity. It's magic. The rules are even more made up than our own.

Medical zombies, which these probably are, weeks to 5 years is a popular belief. Even then, there's all these stipulations, mainly environment and what kind of affliction has turned them.

Drug induced zombies die, or sometimes turn back, once the drugs wear off.

Zombies turned by biological means, where a living organism has infected them, can last much, much longer. The organism responsible for zombification can reproduce itself and may be able to sustain it's host for varying amounts of time.

The big problem for me is muscles rotting to the point that they are mechanically useless. Based on my extensive experience with dead bodies (unfortunately serious), this happens within days. What suspends rigor mortis anyway? I understand the zombie jumping right up, but shouldn't they be taking a break during the rigor period? Hey maybe that's what was up with the one that bit pops. He was taking the required 'rigor nap'. ;) I'm so happy I 'get' dead bodies more than you people.

Could be. Or they could be fast turn zombies that don't go into rigor.

The rate of decay is determined by the type of infection. The infection, what ever it is, usually slows decay, slows metabolism (one reason they move slow) and reduces the need for energy. And, once the zombie does eat fresh meat, the virus feeds on that instead of feeding on the zombie.

Pretty much. But no. :drunk:

There's so many variations and stipulations. Most say the body, and you have to go by "in universe rules" as Malfet said, most say the brain is controlled by the virus which controls the body and the body really doesn't need the essential organs and functions a "live" body does. The body is dead, sort of. It's the brain kept alive by the virus or the virus resides in the brain. Either way, the virus somehow or another spreads out control of the body, independent of normal requirements.

The body is further kept from decay because those things normally responsible for decay are warded off by the virus. The virus does a lot to preserve itself.

When you deal with "in universe rules", it's all kinda magic, but not magical. It's just the rules of that universe, even if it is set in our own.

Just realized I was drinking a beer out of one our wine glasses! Get you some of that!

image-1687955219.jpg

From what I remember of the in-series explanation of this particular virus, it only re-animates the baser parts of the brain--what is sometimes referred to as the "lizard brain"-- that control the functions of breathing, heart function, coarse movement, and the base/primal instinct of hunger. I don't think that the walkers need to feed on flesh as a means of survival, more that this virus uses that instinct to propagate itself.

An easier way for me to see it is:
Imagine your body is similar to a computer. What the virus does is power down the entire system and reboot into safe mode, to an extent. And after booting back up, the virus makes connections to other computers and spreads...lather, rinse, repeat...until it has infected "all" of the computers in the world.

Does anyone have anything to add to that or want to refine it?

I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but does it seem weird to anybody else how there are no fat zombies? Unless the series takes place in the 80s or 90s, I'd say at least half the zombies should be fatties. :D

The zombie trapped in the well in season 2 was a bloated fatty. But in truth, they're eating whatever brains and flesh they can find. High in protein... not so much sugary carbs that pack on the lbs. Also, these things are decaying day by day, so I wouldn't expect half of them to be fat... quite the opposite.

Another plausible explanation for 'no fatties' is that the zombies are extras trying to break into film or modeling and most of those folks are not fat because they know being slim will increase their chances of getting work.

Frankly, I don't want to see a buncha fat zombies on TV. I see enough of that at the mall.

The comic has fat zombies, but a recent interview with the head of makeup and effects talks about how they have to use skinny, gaunt, thin people because makeup is an "additive process". The amount of makeup and applications they have to use to make them look as good as they do would look really bad and cheesy on normal/fat extras.

Could be. Or they could be fast turn zombies that don't go into rigor.

Well, rigor takes a couple of hours to set in. So, if they turned within the first hour or two they would be fine as long as there's something to continue the production of ATP, or replace it with another mechanism. If not, even the quick turn zombies would go through a dormant phase (rigor lasts 48 or so hours).

I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but does it seem weird to anybody else how there are no fat zombies? Unless the series takes place in the 80s or 90s, I'd say at least half the zombies should be fatties. :D

Agreed, there should have be some fat zombies, or at least chubby zombies (chumbies?). Aside from that one in the well, there haven't been any noticeable ones in series. Also, he was shirtless and most of the other zombies have been fully clothed, so it's harder to tell.

Frankly, I don't want to see a buncha fat zombies on TV. I see enough of that at the mall.

haha! Well that feeling being put aside, one of the most annoying/hated zombies from the L4D series for me was The Boomer. Nothing like rounding a corner and blasting one in close range, getting covered in zombie bile and then being swarmed by other zombies/infected.

Just realized I was drinking a beer out of one our wine glasses! Get you some of that!

View attachment 80878

Uh-huh. Mason jar and moonshine is what I see, but you go on with your refined wine line.

From what I remember of the in-series explanation of this particular virus, it only re-animates the baser parts of the brain--what is sometimes referred to as the "lizard brain"-- that control the functions of breathing, heart function, coarse movement, and the base/primal instinct of hunger. I don't think that the walkers need to feed on flesh as a means of survival, more that this virus uses that instinct to propagate itself.

An easier way for me to see it is:
Imagine your body is similar to a computer. What the virus does is power down the entire system and reboot into safe mode, to an extent. And after booting back up, the virus makes connections to other computers and spreads...lather, rinse, repeat...until it has infected "all" of the computers in the world.

Does anyone have anything to add to that or want to refine it?

That would explain only biting instead of eating people. It could be further explained by saying the virus doesn't care / doesn't know / hasn't evolved the consciousness so much about fueling its present vehicle as it does spreading itself to another.

Has anyone paid attention to the flashes that occured just before Shane, Jim, and a few others, were reanimated? They have the same exact flashes of the same slimy, blood covered goblin looking dude (I don't think it's just a random zombie)... Almost like the virus comes from one source, and the memories and visions of that source are then implanted into everyone who contracts the virus. Sort of like the vampires in the Underworld movie tasting blood and seeing the past memories of other vampires, except in this case the zombies are then controlled by those memories to act as puppets for the host source -- like a hive mind. The converted living all the same hazy eyes with the red ring around the iris even though nothing traumatic happened to injure their eyes...as if they're receiving the same vision feed. Zombies also tend to travel in herds so this entire idea makes some sense.

I can't wait until we see that redneck who had to saw his own hand off again. THAT boy is gonna kick some @ss!

This series has come VERY GOOD potential. I hope they don't just screw it up like LOST.

Back