The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed, there was some mad zombie killing going on. Long may it continue while they try to clear the prison.

This episode has renewed by enjoyment of this show for sure. Last season got way boring while they settled in at the farm. All of them look worn down and dirty like they should be, I am going from watching the show because I like the genre to watching the show because I like the show.

Not too many shows get better as the seasons go on, I hope they can keep it up.

Lol. I just "get" the story and the characters a bit more I think. I have always analyzed people quite well. Part of having a psychology degree I guess. But I've also read the comics so I know kind of where the producers are going and what the original writer intended.

Pretty condescending way to justify your differences with us. Couldn't just be because we have differing opinions, right?

That's not being sensitive, it's catching you being high and mighty. Your opinion is your opinion, it's not you 'getting' more than we do. As a matter of fact, now I 'get' why you sympathize with Lori. ;)

I didn't read the comics, so I don't know if zombie baby is in it.

But how would that work? I get they are all carriers. Is zombie fetus satiated so long as it's on the umbilical cord? Even if, zombies don't typically grow or regenerate or have any time in their undead life sequence where they advance to a peak of physical being. Fresh zombie is as good as it gets. It's all down hill from there.

However, they did have that scene in town where the zombies were working together to bait the humans. Or was that a different show?

bobbrews said:
Lol. I just "get" the story and the characters a bit more I think. I have always analyzed people quite well. Part of having a psychology degree I guess. But I've also read the comics so I know kind of where the producers are going and what the original writer intended.

Wow. Now I hate Lori even more, just because people act like you.

I know everyone here hates the zombies, but I think that's misplaced. It's not your fault...I just "get" the zombies better than the rest of you I think. Part of that is probably my degree in brainology. I have always analyzed flesh-eating abominations pretty well.

I love the zombies. Hell, zombies in general. They kill people who aren't smart enough, strong enough, or resourceful enough to not get eaten by something that moves 2 feet per second. Since I mostly have no use for people, the zombies are doing me a huge favor.

:tank: So,

I'm watching this for the 1st time and I make the comment, "The leader is going off the deep end, he's chopping off his friend's legs, hacking people in the head he just met, and letting friendlies die a horrible death. Look he even hates his wife!"

And my two kids who have been watching this from the start, lambaste me. "Oh, he's the hero. His wife's a POS! Those guys were trying to kill him. You're so wrong!"

:p OK........................ I didn't know! Wow! Some folks are passionate about this show!

Slyko said:
:tank: So,

I'm watching this for the 1st time and I make the comment, "The leader is going off the deep end, he's chopping off his friend's legs, hacking people in the head he just met, and letting friendlies die a horrible death. Look he even hates his wife!"

And my two kids who have been watching this from the start, lambaste me. "Oh, he's the hero. His wife's a POS! Those guys were trying to kill him. You're so wrong!"

:p OK........................ I didn't know! Wow! Some folks are passionate about this show!

Yeah well if you throw a zombie on someone then you deserve a chop to the head.

I'm just waiting for the episode where Carl loses his ****e on Lori...and how things are going to develop in general.

This episode is a perfect example of why I don't like Lori. Carl has done some stupid **** before but the difference between Rick and Lori is that Rick does it separately, away from the group and explains and talks it out with him. Lori chews him out in front of everyone. Rick is treating him more and more like an adult, or at least recognizing the world they live in and Lori seems to be clinging to the idea that nothing had changed and he's still a kid.

She gets a couple points for the CPR but still...

I love the zombies. Hell, zombies in general. They kill people who aren't smart enough, strong enough, or resourceful enough to not get eaten by something that moves 2 feet per second.

Speaking of slow moving zombies, how about the zombie that bit Herschel playing possum? I don't remember any other zombies in the show lying still while ten people march past, only to 'spring' on someone moments later.

What do you think it was - sloppy writing or a development in zombie behavior?

Speaking of slow moving zombies, how about the zombie that bit Herschel playing possum? I don't remember any other zombies in the show lying still while ten people march past, only to 'spring' on someone moments later.

What do you think it was - sloppy writing or a development in zombie behavior?

I wouldn't say the zombie was playing possum. Remember, the one prisoner was fighting with a baseball bat, not a sharp spear.

We have come to expect scenes like this in almost every suspense-thriller... Just when you get too close and think something is dead, it's not. That's why Zombieland was so cool. The "Double-Tap" rule ensured the damn thing was dead. With that said, Big Tiny won't be coming back any time soon.

bobbrews said:
I wouldn't say the zombie was playing possum. Remember, the one prisoner was fighting with a baseball bat, not a sharp spear.

We have come to expect scenes like this in almost every suspense-thriller... Just when you get too close and think something is dead, it's not. That's why Zombieland was so cool. The "Double-Tap" rule ensured the damn thing was dead. With that said, Big Tiny won't be coming back any time soon.

Different episode, he's referring to when Hershel gets bit before they meet the prisoners.

I think that was just bad writing. There have definitely been some zombies that take a minute or two to wakeup but they never snatch/jump that quickly. They telegraphed that one pretty bad. The first time they walked past that particular corpse my wife said "why don't they poke that one in the head to be safe?". Exactly like Double Tap!

True but even the members of the group were fighting with different weapons. Not all of them had spears and crossbows. It is possible that they did not fully spear/shoot a few in the head for a direct kill. Plus, not everyone who is shot in the head dies from it. So try not to get caught up on the details. These types of scenes are not new to the show. There have been more than a couple zombies since season 1 which appeared dead but were not. It's predictable but at the same time you don't fully expect it. Horror flicks do stuff like that all the time. I don't see the big deal and wouldn't equate it to bad writing. They just know the audience falls for it and it still does the job of startling you.

This one wasn't fought, it was a random corpse they stepped over. What I'm getting at is that if you know everyone who dies eventually comes back, why wouldn't you have one of the guys with a spear poke every corpse you walk by in the head just in case?

Either way, this is beside the point. No zombie in this show up to this point went from "asleep" to snatch and bite that quickly. I understand that it's standard horror movie/show thing but that doesn't mean it isn't still inconsistent in the show or bad writing. I mean... He was about to look around the corner, they could have had a normal walker laying on the ground that bites him. Having Hershel step right in between the legs of corpse they didn't fight and have it snap to life that quickly was cheesy, something this show has for the most part avoided.

I'd be shanking every corpse of everything.

And what's with trying to lead the zombies away along the fence when what's-her-name stabbed the one to practice a C section on? They could have just shanked them all right there. Damn. They stand in one place and let you do it.

They're getting way too comfortable with letting easy to kill zombies loiter around the fence, and it looks like that will come back to bite them.

I'd be shanking every corpse of everything.

And what's with trying to lead the zombies away along the fence when what's-her-name stabbed the one to practice a C section on? They could have just shanked them all right there. Damn. They stand in one place and let you do it.

They're getting way too comfortable with letting easy to kill zombies loiter around the fence, and it looks like that will come back to bite them.

I have to agree.. There is no way I'd let my guard down no matter how slow these things seem. Every one would get a blade to the head. Speaking of which.. I feel like the best short-range set of weapons would have to be double machetes. In and out quick and swing them fast.

Also, I have to mention the funniest real life solution to zombies that I've ever heard which is to surround your house with tread mills side by side. Zombie treadmills FTW!!!

A machete is a great anti zombie weapon. Thin, light, fast and pointed with decent reach. I'd like a long machete or even a ditch bank blade.

If I went archery, a recurve bow. Exceptional skill aside, I think it'd be faster to use than a crossbow and has less parts.

For a gun, any semi-auto rifle with high capacity and detachable magazines. Hell, a Ruger 10-22 seems like it would do. No kick. Light ammo. Not as loud as bigger rifles. And given all the .22s out there, the chances of finding ammo are better than some odd ball caliber.

And you could conceivably carry an almost ridiculous amount of .22 ammo. But I would probably pick either the 10/22 or an AR22 or converted M4/AR15. And just to add a little spice a bayonet with some good optics and a masterkey for good measure.

I just started watching this show amid just have to laugh at the military "blockades" that got overrun.

I thought that zombie was taking a short nap. Didn't you see the way his eyes were only half open, I thought the actor channeled the content of the script and comic series perfectly. Maybe that intro to acting class I took in high school makes me more attuned to it, but I'm surprised you guys don't get it.

You know who aren't perceptive? Zombies. Because they don't have degrees in psychology.

Random in-universe-physics question: I seem to recall that part of the lore includes the idea that these zombies are eventually going to run out of gas. With no energy being added to the system, there's only so long that they'll continue to move. Is there any indication of what kind of timeframe we're talking about here? Months? Years? Decades? Longer? (Apologies if this has already been asked. Scanned through the thread, but might have missed something.)

You know who aren't perceptive? Zombies. Because they don't have degrees in psychology.

Random in-universe-physics question: I seem to recall that part of the lore includes the idea that these zombies are eventually going to run out of gas. With no energy being added to the system, there's only so long that they'll continue to move. Is there any indication of what kind of timeframe we're talking about here? Months? Years? Decades? Longer? (Apologies if this has already been asked. Scanned through the thread, but might have missed something.)

My thought has always been since they sre rotting corpses eventually they will all just decay away or be eaten by scavengeing animals like crows, buzzards, ect.

My thought has always been since they sre rotting corpses eventually they will all just decay away or be eaten by scavengeing animals like crows, buzzards, ect.

Right, but that's my question. Assuming that the overwhelming majority of humanity is now zombified or completely dead, what kind of timeframe are we looking at before the zombie population collapses.

There are still a lot of corpses that were never zombies laying around that are in a lot better shape than they should be, especially after a summer in Georgia...

Looks like about 10 months or so based on Lori's pregnancy status...

The prisoners said 292 days if I remember correctly, so yeah right about 10 months.

Speaking of timing, I felt like they messed up time tracking right from the get-go. Rick started off in a hospital bed. How long could he have possibly survived with no one attending to him? Any IV would have run out in hours, at which point he'd need water in no more than a few days. So lets say he sat there for three days before he woke up. From the time he woke until he linked up with the group, only a few more days passed, maybe a week. Let's go on a big limb and say 2 weeks.

Now, you're telling me it only took Lori maybe 3 weeks total to go from mourning a husband who had been shot and then probably killed by zombies, to face-down ass-up sex in a tent in the middle of the day with his best friend and partner? This is why I've hated her from the get go.

But, as someone who knows from experience the bond between cops when they work as partners, maybe I just 'get' it more than everyone else, who knows. ;)

Back