The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DC might be a good option eventually, but I think it is too soon. I would imagine any highly populated place (populated with by people or walkers) would be unsanitary to the point it would be deadly, thus keeping a new supply of skin eaters to deal with. What would survivors do with their trash, dead people and dead zombies? Just pile it in the streets? Burning would be an option, but the constant smell of burning flesh doesn't sound appealing, and the act of doing it means you probably have to leave the confines of your secure area exposing you to danger. What do you do with sewage? Surely the treatment plant and plumbing isn't functional.

After a few years when all the Lurkers have fallen off cliffs or impaled themselves DC might be a place to repopulate. In the meantime,I'd lean toward an island. Living inside of a fortress like a Prison or Military base would feel like living in a Prison...or Military base. Gulf Coast islands get a ton of rain, it should be easy enough to collect and store. Also, as someone else posted you could fairly easily distill salt water. Many Gulf Coast islands aren't heavily populated (even unpopulated) making clearing them relatively easy. Also, as someone else posted you could fairly easily distill salt water. Preserve fish/meat with the salt. I would lean toward an island with a bridge. Knock out 3-4 foot span that the biters would fall through, but is easy for an able bodies person to cross...or maybe a drawbridge. Plenty of seabirds(and their eggs) fish, even deer on barrier islands. Oysters are plentiful and don't put up much of a fight. Most importantly barrier islands should be relatively clean. Trash, sewage, dead people and meatbags could be dumped in the Gulf(easy there Greenies, its a survival situation) Also on the coast you typically get a steady supply of "trash" washing ashore...bottles, nets, rope, string would become a necessity.

The only problem I see with a barrier island is questionable soil quality...it might be hard to grow food. But I don't see that being easy in a major metropolitan area either. Can't grow corn on asphalt.

Oh crap did I misread what he said?

Did he mean untimely demise ala the show, or in real life.

If it was real life, dude I'm sorry.

Hahaha no, his character's untimely demise, not my brother's.

His death is actually presumed because it wasn't explicitly shown. The character he played was supposed to be Eric. Apparently in the comic books, his character sneaks off to take a leak in the woods when the black lady (Michonne?) sneaks up behind him and cuts his head in half with a sword. In the show, he presumably died in a scene that was filmed but ended up getting cut.

I've actually never really watched the show. Those are the facts as best I can remember my brother telling me. There were some preliminary plans to bring him and some others back for the next season (they were told to leave their schedules open), but the writers took a different turn and his character was left dead.

This is him: http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Eric_(TV_Series)_Gallery

Ahh, so he was one of the Waterbury-ites, correct?
Funny, did any of the people who came back with Rick and the gang ever become regulars? I remember there were a bunch of people welcomed in, and then they vanished.

Funny, did any of the people who came back with Rick and the gang ever become regulars? I remember there were a bunch of people welcomed in, and then they vanished.

only Tyreese & Sasha (don't think she's in the main credits, still just a guest star); all the rest were lost in the battle at the prison or the aftermath

think there was a bus accident which killed a lot of them.

any other survivors must have been dinner in Terminus, because the current group are the only ones who made it to the church, then through Atlanta

except for Bob & Beth

Michonne technically "started" in Woodbury. But if you mean people that came back with them on the bus, that would be (at this point) only Sasha. Tyrese is dead, and his girlfriend (can't remember her name) got barbecued in the first episode of the next season.

I dunno. And why only a party of two? And why didn't they have a time limit on Aaron coming back the same as Rick had on his people? And how did Rick's group not notice a Cadillac and a Winnebago following them? In a world with hardly any engines running, you'd hear any near you that were.

Will there be a gay angle or is it just happenstance? I mean, in these kind of times, it could be written that people put that kind of thing aside and you survive with who you can because because petty social differences can no longer be dividers, or people become extremely polarized and sharply segregated.

And why, after Woodbury especially, did they just walk into that compound? Seems they'd want to meet a few folks a little ways off first.

I dunno. And why only a party of two? And why didn't they have a time limit on Aaron coming back the same as Rick had on his people? And how did Rick's group not notice a Cadillac and a Winnebago following them? In a world with hardly any engines running, you'd hear any near you that were.

Will there be a gay angle or is it just happenstance? I mean, in these kind of times, it could be written that people put that kind of thing aside and you survive with who you can because because petty social differences can no longer be dividers, or people become extremely polarized and sharply segregated.

Well, the Cadillac and Winnebago weren't necessarily following them, that might have been something they brought over later (they did say they drove them over after the storm). Since 23 and 16 seem to be parallel, maybe they drove up one, parked and found a nice spy perch, and then drove up again as the group moved? Hard to know, exactly. As for why a party of two, that gives you one person to help the other person out or run for help if someone is injured or you run into something that could threaten the area; and it's harder to spot two people moving about than a larger group. Maybe they did have a time limit, but it was measured in days instead of hours.

And why, after Woodbury especially, did they just walk into that compound? Seems they'd want to meet a few folks a little ways off first.

There's a portion earlier in the episode where Rick talks about what they heard outside of Woodbury, nothing. When Rick gets there, he rolls down the window...and he hears children playing and having fun. At this point, it could be a trap still, yes, but this would have to be an extremely elaborate trap, replete with two lovers on the scout team and one just happens to get injured and happens to set off a flare that sends the other guy racing over to save him which just so happens to be what is needed to convince the group that these guys are all right.

I also thought maybe they should arrange to have Daryl and Carol change their mind about going in at the last minute .The writers had Rick hide that gun for a reason .If this place is all cotton candy and tea cozies where does the story go then? I don't think they can be trusted but who knows.

I think the mauraders will come into play here soon. It's either this group which is still possible or they find the town like that found that one kids town and it'll go down from there.

The gay Aaron angle is directly from the comics.

Okay here's my predictions.

I think Rick and crew come into our new town with people who are actually, well, people still.

Rick's weary group of road warriors cause some sort of ruckus. At least some of them do. There are disagreements among the group. A lot of heart to hearts. Maybe a fist fight.

At some point, Rick and possibly a few other are either exiled or decide on their own to split. It may even be on a supply run or something, but somehow Rick ends up separated from his group.

While he's out doing stuff and thangs, the Wolves that took out Noah's little town will come into play. Rick will either run into them or hear them attacking. I'm guessing he runs into them and they disarm him. He'll somehow manage to escape and that's when his blender Glock he left behind will be reunited with Rick.

The season will likely end before Rick can get involved. Either before the Wolves attack, or perhaps after leaving Rick to figure out how to save the day.

I'm probably completely wrong.

I think this new camp turns out to be safe and boring.

They use it to introduce new characters to replace some that will get killed soon. Likely by the group that killed Noahs town.

My guess is that the new camp already knows about the marauders and is actively recruiting people to defend against them.

Ultimately the stay in this place will be short lived, I can't see anything happening in the town or with the people being the driver of the rest of this season.

I need some help with understanding the geography of where they are.

Where was the hospital? I thought it was still in Georgia. That's where they were at the start of this season. Then Rick took Noah to Virginia, I thought and the rest stayed around the hospital that's why the Walkie talkies had the 500mi range. Now where is this town, and was that DCs skyline they saw in the rv?

I need some help with understanding the geography of where they are.

Where was the hospital? I thought it was still in Georgia. That's where they were at the start of this season. Then Rick took Noah to Virginia, I thought and the rest stayed around the hospital that's why the Walkie talkies had the 500mi range. Now where is this town, and was that DCs skyline they saw in the rv?

I think the hospital was in Georgia still. During the mid-season break they finally left GA and traveled to Virginia, where Noah's family lived. The rest of the group I think stayed on the road away from the subdivision. They regrouped after Tyreese's death and decided to head on towards DC. Then they met Aaron, who is now taking them to the Alexandria Safe Zone. If they are referring to Alexandria VA, it's a suburb directly outside of DC, hence the Washington Monument on the horizon.

Thanks. I was trying to determine how far they are going from Noah's town, and how close to their goal of DC. I would think they would try to distance themselves from whomever ripped through Noah's town, and if they're that close to dc I wonder when they plan to go check it out or at least ask these new characters about it because they are so close.

Does anyone else bother to read any episode-in-review articles around the Internet?

The amount of "OMG THIS EPISODE WAS GOOD UNTIL THE MAN-ON-MAN KISSING WHY DOES EVERY SHOW NEED A GAY CHARACTER NEVAR WATCHING THIS SHOW AGAIN" butthurt is pretty amusing.

Ha ha .Get over it. It's post apocalypse .There's bigger issues to worry about than homophobia.Hell if Maggie turned and was strapped to a gurney I might go all Dead Girl on her.

Glenn grew a pair this week. 'Bout time.

My wife kept saying all episode, "there's something going on. The town is too good to be true." I don't know that there is. I think this time, the town really is safe, but Rick's group is so PTSD'ed and paranoid (and justifiably so) that they're going to be their own worst enemies as they try to settle back in.

Tonight's show was flat retarded. Group has learned nothing. At least prior to Terminus, Rick stashed some weapons. This time he hid 1 gun - which is already gone.

They are way too comfortable and way too dumb. Let's split the group, they don't post guards, they surrender their guns.

I know what's coming - and if this is how they're going to act, they deserve some Lucille.

I think that they were at the end of their rope outside. They would not be so quick to move in if they had any physical or mental reserves. I do think that there will be more conflicts with the community and within the group. Daryl was never at home in peaceful society, it's going to be very hard for him. The others have combat fatigue, but they are battle hardened too. That changes normal social rules.
I found the episode very compelling. I loved the interview segments.

I think the leadership of the town are aware of the group that destroyed Noah's camp and are also aware that they can't defend themselves so they brought in some badasses to help with that situation. I dont think they bring the group in if there wasnt an agenda.

That's a good point. There also may be factions within the community that will seek strength from the newcomers. Maybe the ex-congresswoman needs some help keeping her cowboy son in line. I also wonder why we haven't met her husband.

That's a good point. There also may be factions within the community that will seek strength from the newcomers. Maybe the ex-congresswoman needs some help keeping her cowboy son in line. I also wonder why we haven't met her husband.

I hope he isnt chained up in a back room like the Governor's daughter because I will so disappointed.

Totally agree that the town wants the group for protection. They've been isolated from the fray since the beginning. I don't think they have the ability to defend themselves if things go south. Daryl was an outcast in polite society.In zombie world he is an asset and a valued friend .Pretty sure he's not staying in town. You can tell he feels like an outcast again.

The most disappointing thing was Carol's outfit. Just by changing clothes, she went from being a force to recon with back to her prior self when her worthless husband was alive.

Back