The ultimate heat exchanger????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff_H

Reaction score
Hey all...

I've gotten both sideways looks and open eyed gapes of wonderment from my "controversial" technique but hey....it works, so I figured if it could do anyone else some good, it might be worth throwing out there....

I use my swimming pool to cool my wort.

I live in FL and have an inground pool (about 12,000 gallons) in my back yard. After the boil, I turn on the pool pump and put my brew kettle directly in the path of one of the returns while I hold it and stir...I go from boil to pool water temp...about 84 degrees right now in the heat of summer...in about 8 minutes.

Obviously, it requires care so as not to dump the contents of the kettle in the pool but the water volume and flow makes for serious heat transfer....

:D

I will say it's a little crazy but being from the pool industry I'm a little biased. I think froma thermodynamics standpoint it makes perfect sense (huge body of water and lower temperature). I would suggest that you take a return fitting and modify it so it runs through a counterflow chiller or immersion chiller and (shameless plug) purchase a Pentair Heat/Cool heat pump to get the temp in the pool down even more ;-)

Seriously though, let it rock. :mug:

Latest posts

Back