The rise of the beer snob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Along the way, the beer snob was born. He — and it’s usually a he, although craft-beer demographics are expanding — is picky about glassware. He makes a show of spitting out beer that doesn’t meet his standards. He has turned a drink that once symbolized camaraderie into a vehicle for one-upmanship

Who "makes a show" of spitting out beer that doesn't meet their standards? Who's "one-upping" each other over craft beer? Did this guy even TALK to any craft beer enthusiasts? Most of my socializing revolves around beer! Going out to craft beer festivals, meeting up with fellow home brewers, studying and tasting styles with my BJCP study group... this article doesn't even have a coherent message. It just sort of ... ends. What was the point/thesis of this article?

dQd.jpg

I'm not going to waste my time reading it...Thanks Kombat.

As in all things..some people think there opinion or their likes/tastes are the cats meow. Its their way of feeling important.

"In the movies, a guy would walk into a bar and say “gimme a beer” — any kind would do."
Yeah, because in real twentieth century life there are bars and lounges selling only one type of beer... Film isn't real. Am I a beer snob? I don't think so. If someone loves a Bud that's their prerogative. If I taste a beer that I don't like fine I'll just have one. Spit it out? No. SMH.

The guy who went to Germany looking for IPA is planning a series of articles. Next will be "Tequila Tour of Canada." Then "Wines of Saudi Arabia."

Looking forward to those. In other news, a buddy of mine went on a beer tour in Portland last year and couldn't find a decent Munich Helles to save his life!

Author takes a VERY slim portion of the craft beer drinker populace and writes a rather exaggerated description of them. Most craft beer people I know will gladly talk about beer if you like. It's a hobby and can be interesting. I don't know anyone who would make a show of spitting out a beer they didn't like. Lots of them shop for rare releases, but that doesn't make them a snob. They might simply be enthusiasts, who gain pleasure from doing something relatively unique (not unlike a mountain climber, or someone who collects other objects...)

I'm sure there are some Aholes out there, but they are very rare. I wouldn't be inclined to warn the world about them unless I was desperate for something to write about.

The comparison to "Sideways" is the worst. If I were to go So Cal and plan a day trip with my wife to visit all the great breweries we can't get to out East, then your right, "I'm not drinking and f#$%@ Blue Moon. Because the whole point is that I'm there to get something other than what is served at literally every single restaurant or bar. There is nothing snobby about that at all. That's like calling someone a snob for planning a trip to Disney and then saying, "I'm not wasting an F@*#&@ day going to the world's largest ball of yarn."

When I go out with my friend's I will have a Blue Moon, well probably a Miller High Life because they are buck a pint, but regardless; a hobby is not snobbery and the extreme cases of snobbery he brings up have got to be such a small level it ridiculous.

Having an enthusiastic appreciation for beer, or knowledge of beer doesn't make someone a snob. Looking down on some who doesn't have as much appreciation or knowledge of beer is what would make someone a snob.

I think the author is just hating on beer enthusiasts in general. He probably doesn't have as much appreciation for beer in general.

I not only agree with the author I also have been saying the same thing for a few years now. The only thing that really irks me on the topic is the hypocrisy of the Beer Advocate co-founder sounding off when his business fostered and bred the snobery to the levels we have now.

Before craft brewing started the wine snobs were the only game in town but at least wine has a history of exclusive ingredients and exclusive products via long term aging. Beer has almost the opposite history which is why wine snobs disliked those who drank cheap wine and despised those who drank beer. Today I'm so tired of the critical beer drinker who tries to hide behind the guise of just being a person with an appreciation for beer all the while being critical of not only an entire brewery but even entire styles of beer.

I'm to the point where I have more respect for my friends who only like something like Coors Light. To me they are easier to deal with than the beer fan who isn't happy unless their taste buds are totally crushed by an obscene amount of hops in their 2x IPA. I'd love to try some of these rare beers I read about but I don't think I could stand waiting in line with some of these people who attend a release event.

Maybe my definition of "fan" or "snob" is different than most. I was never much into wine but I can't imagine there were many debates with wine snobs over a person who only liked to drink a certain style. But if you are a beer drinker who only likes light lagers there are plenty of "fans" who will immediately judge you. I'm not a huge fan of sours but I will gladly try a sample. I don't think I will ever order a full pint but I have said several times "I don't care for this style but this one is really good". Too many of us chuckle at jokes about our light lager friends when the worst wine snob probably wouldn't even think to ridicule someone who only liked to drink Merlot.

Hopefully I'm the only one who runs into these types of people because I don't want others exposed to it. But it just wears me down to hear entire styles mocked. Probably the worst is when the entire brewery is bashed after it reaches a certain level of popularity. Disliking a beer that hasn't changed in taste just because the brewery expanded and others took notice just irks me to no end.

HBT is the living proof that there is no snobbery amongst homebrewers. I've never seen a community so passionate, open and friendly. We all started somewhere and needed help and advice at one point.

Actually I'm sure this guy is not a homebrewer and is the snob himself. When people actually brew they understand the complexity of brewing a Helles, a Kolsch or any other German beer and not just IPAs.

The only thing I get snobby at times about is people who have never brewed a beer trying to talk like they know everything about beer, just because they stand in line for some barrel aged beer rare release. Sorry but in my opinion brewers are on a completely different level of beer passion and knowledge.

The only thing I get snobby at times about is people who have never brewed a beer trying to talk like they know everything about beer, just because they stand in line for some barrel aged beer rare release. Sorry but in my opinion brewers are on a completely different level of beer passion and knowledge.

This.
The only kind of snobbery that bugs me are the people that call drinking beer their hobby. No, drinking is not a hobby. Brewing beer is a hobby. I don't claim to know everything about beer but I do know more than someone who doesn't brew, well because, I have to in order to successfully do this hobby. That doesn't make me a snob at all. It makes me a home brewer. I don't think I'd get the same level of satisfaction just from buying a rare beer that I get from making a really good beer to share with others. Most of the time, like KBS, I don't get the hype and I'm sort of bummed that it just tastes like beer. haha.

A lot of people i know write off my beer because it just couldn't be as good as the 4 pack they waited 5 hours for or the $12 12oz bottle they followed the truck to the shop for. It's pure satisfaction when I see their face after tasting my beer. The funny thing is though none of them are interested in brewing. They just want to drink and waste their time hunting and waiting in line to pay crazy prices for something they could make. IDK. Maybe it's the trill of the hunt or something... I just know I have better way of spending my time. Like BREWING!

In the end it's all beer and we all drink it the same way. Snobs or no snobs it's good for the industry and it's good for creating a demand for more jobs in our country.

This.
The only kind of snobbery that bugs me are the people that call drinking beer their hobby. No, drinking is not a hobby. Brewing beer is a hobby. I don't claim to know everything about beer but I do know more than someone who doesn't brew, well because, I have to in order to successfully do this hobby. That doesn't make me a snob at all. It makes me a home brewer. I don't think I'd get the same level of satisfaction just from buying a rare beer that I get from making a really good beer to share with others. Most of the time, like KBS, I don't get the hype and I'm sort of bummed that it just tastes like beer. haha.

A lot of people i know write off my beer because it just couldn't be as good as the 4 pack they waited 5 hours for or the $12 12oz bottle they followed the truck to the shop for. It's pure satisfaction when I see their face after tasting my beer. The funny thing is though none of them are interested in brewing. They just want to drink and waste their time hunting and waiting in line to pay crazy prices for something they could make. IDK. Maybe it's the trill of the hunt or something... I just know I have better way of spending my time. Like BREWING!

In the end it's all beer and we all drink it the same way. Snobs or no snobs it's good for the industry and it's good for creating a demand for more jobs in our country.

Well put sir! I couldn't have said it better myself.

I would say just drinking beer can/is definitely a hobby that a lot of people enjoy. Just like wine connoisseurs, I would venture not many actually make wine. I don't think brewing is a requirement to know a lot about beer and judging non-homebrewers is just as bad as the being a "beer snob".

Big difference between home brewers and craft beer fans. If your a home brewer ad want people to know you know about beer you hand them a cup of your beer and that's that. But if you are a craft beer fan the only way to let people know you know about beer is to tell them. Often at great length.

Seriously, read some random reviews on BA and see how long it takes before you want to smack someone upside the head.

Same goes with music, the fans are always more snobbish than the musicians or most any other hobby.

Big difference between home brewers and craft beer fans. If your a home brewer ad want people to know you know about beer you hand them a cup of your beer and that's that. But if you are a craft beer fan the only way to let people know you know about beer is to tell them. Often at great length.

Seriously, read some random reviews on BA and see how long it takes before you want to smack someone upside the head.

Same goes with music, the fans are always more snobbish than the musicians or most any other hobby.

You can also use a quicker comparison with home cooks and food critics. You don't have to be a chef to be a food critic but it does help. Many enjoy good food but have no interest in cooking, which is fine too.

I try different beers to find styles I like to then try to brew myself. Even if I have to choke down a 6 pack of nasty I drink it(Like the Lift Bridge Farm Girl Saison with the weird metallic aftertaste). If I still hate it by the 6th bottle I definitely won't be brewing it!

Have some of my home brews been less than drinkable? Yup, drank them anyway!

I love to drink the rarest of beers. Stuff that's brewed only once in a while and in exceedingly small quantities. It may not be perfectly to "style," but it is rare, and usually pretty drinkable.
But with that said, I'll share it with my friends as often as I can. Even if it means I don't get as much as I could.
Sometimes I think about getting twice as much of it, but the cost starts growing exponentially.
People think waiting in line for hours is tough? Try waiting for months!

"Beer Snob:

1. A slur aimed by those who would be perfectly content having an alcohol-spiked feed bag attached to their muzzles at anyone who is less than enthusiastic about consuming [alleged] beer that lacks a taste A) at all and/or B) that the consumer in question actually enjoys."
2. See 1."

Seriously, what's with the defensiveness? You shouldn't apologize for giving a damn what you're drinking, any more than you should apologize for pulling your pants up and washing your hands before stepping out of the restroom.

Re the original article: Kind of refreshing to see this sort of fretsturbation aimed at something other than "LIEK ZOMG U GAIS TEH YOUNGER GENERASHUN R DIFFRUNT D: D: D:" though.

I would say just drinking beer can/is definitely a hobby that a lot of people enjoy. Just like wine connoisseurs, I would venture not many actually make wine. I don't think brewing is a requirement to know a lot about beer and judging non-homebrewers is just as bad as the being a "beer snob".

Right, which is why I said that's my only snobby quality. And I wear it with pride.

Seriously, read some random reviews on BA and see how long it takes before you want to smack someone upside the head

It's not that I want to smack them on the head, it's just that I don't really get some of their reviews.

Most try to describe hop flavors using fruits and other stuff, instead of just naming the hops.

When i have a beer, I am thinking "wow the Columbus is really huge in this one", "nice Citra in the backround", "the Sorachi Ace caught me off guard on this one".

As if you were eating a cake and trying to describe the flavor of chocolate without saying the word chocolate. I feel like most are just trying to act like they know a lot.

Oops am I being a snob?

Rap is not played by real musicians..and blows....OH sorry, that was very snobbish of me. :D

Carry on.

"Beer Snob:

1. A slur aimed by those who would be perfectly content having an alcohol-spiked feed bag attached to their muzzles at anyone who is less than enthusiastic about consuming [alleged] beer that lacks a taste A) at all and/or B) that the consumer in question actually enjoys."
2. See 1."

Seriously, what's with the defensiveness? You shouldn't apologize for giving a damn what you're drinking, any more than you should apologize for pulling your pants up and washing your hands before stepping out of the restroom.

No kidding. I don't disparage other peoples' tastes in beer, but I will tell them what I like. I don't see that as being a beer snob.

I have poured more than one beer down the drain after just a few sips because I didn't like it though. According to that article this makes me a beer snob. Apparently if you're not an alcoholic willing to drink anything just because it can give you a buzz then you're a snob.

Pass me some mouth-wash fellas, I gotta get right! Anybody got any hand sanitizer?

Eh, that's a fun little article. Perhaps the author exaggerates a bit to make it more entertaining....but as a young professional woman in the Boston area, I would say it's quite likely she's run into plenty of guys who are half in the bag and blathering on and on about the complexities of Boom Sauce or something. There's a hint of truth throughout, covered heavily with the snarkyness, but what the heck, it's all good fun.

We are in a golden age for beer drinkers, and naturally there's going to be some writers who pick on some of the more outlandish aspects of it.

Thanks for posting the article link

There's a hint of truth throughout, covered heavily with the snarkyness, but what the heck, it's all good fun.

+1 Hint of truth indeed...Taking potshots at some of the craft beer antics is nothing new - and has been easy fodder for snarky writers for some time now.
Beer snobbery has been discussed at length and takes many forms.... I've seen a guy overreach to impress by taking a grandiose gulp, then loudly announcing the grain/hop bill to a group of people that could give a sh*t.
Some need to put down anyone who prefers bud, miller, etc.
There are countless examples whether we want to realize it or not.
However simply having a discerning palate because of our hobby does not a snob make.... It's interacting badly with others that creates the hob-snobbery..

Like any other hobby, if you can call beer drinking a hobby, you will get the know-it-alls and and the know nothings. I see it everywhere. Stereo/Audio snobs and know it alls that talk down to people, Car snobs that barely drive their vehicle, but know it's the best because either they paid through the nose or the salesman told them so.

Then there are the no nothings who sometimes blissfully coast through life happy as a clam because after all, ignorance is bliss. Sometimes they can be lumped into the snob category, but the true snob doesn't acknowledge them as an equal, but other no nothings see them as genius.

I prefer to ride the middle, I like beer, but not all beer. I can't choke down a Miller Lite without something to cover it's taste. I'll wrap it in a used baby diaper sometimes just to not offend the serving host.

I like to try new beers when out to eat. Here's my scale: Me not like, Me like, Me love. I don't try to pick it apart. So, last night I was having sex with Penelope Cruz and wow her aroma was awesome, but I found her finish a little bitter. Can I just be thankful to God for letting me try. :)

If I love a beer I never want to see the bottom of the glass. Beer makes me feel good in more ways than one. It's fun to brew and try to create something that tastes good and can make you feel good.

For some reason, while reading the article I kept getting the image of a beer hipster in my head. I also thought while reading it, I like to brew beer and drink beer, I am a beer lover, I am a beer lover. Thank God I don't like Vodka, then a whole new can of worms is opened over top shelf brands. it all tastes like kerosene to me unless it's mixed into a bloody Mary.

Bah that's I feel about the article.

Some need to put down anyone who prefers bud, miller, etc.

I see this in this forum and consider it the first stage of being a snob. I consider this forum to be one of the most friendly but even here you can see it. I think most consider it cute behavior but the fact is you are looking down on someone who doesn't share the same taste preference in beer.

Last week I took out a can of beer that I'd never tried before, poured it, had a few sips, and it was... OK. Not bad, not the best. But I'd had a long day at work, I only wanted to have one beer, and I wanted it to count. So, I dumped the beer and grabbed a different one that was indeed more enjoyable.

Ultimate *********: achievement unlocked!

Seriously though, to me, a "snob" is somebody who places "image" at equal or greater importance to the actual taste/quality of the beer. They won't be seen drinking -- or heard openly praising -- a beer unless it has some kind of "elite aura" surrounding it.

But there is also that person who is just curious and enthusiastic about exploring different beer brands and styles, rather than drinking the same fizzy, low-flavor stuff, 12 at a time, for years on end. I don't see why it is fair to apply a pejorative term like "snob" to somebody like that; in fact, to do so is to achieve nothing but sign-post one's ignorance and closed-mindedness.

LOL... I had this situation two weeks ago at a gathering. The host was a friend of a friend. He said, "I understand you brew beer but I'm sorry, all I have is Miller Lite." (He had been reading too many articles like the one posted and felt the need to apologize).
I told him I would love a Miller Lite.

It's not a matter of "choking one down"... they really have no flavor.

Or should I have gone into an oratory about his poor taste in disgusting pond swill and given him the breadth of my 'vast knowledge'? :confused:
What's the point of making someone feel bad.

Back