The rise of the beer snob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the 60's to the mid-00's, I announced myself as a beer snob. I sought the best bars; talked bars and stores into buying cases by guaranteeing sales and was snooty about lite/light beers (I'll have water without ice).
While I still do all these things, I no long call myself a beer snob. I have been surpassed. And when I have been surpassed in Macon, Georgia, then the times have changed.

LOL, reminds me of something that happened a couple days ago ....was sitting in the sauna after a workout with several men and one says , "did yall hear that they renamed Budweiser to America?" . A couple of them remarked on it as being a marketing ploy, etc., and when they looked at me , I said " I don't care what they call it, it still tastes like pi$$ to me, Do yall like that kind or beer? ". Then one of the older guys says " they payed my salary for 35 years, so yah, I do like it ."

:smack:
oops
I recon I was branded as a beer snob right there. :p

My parents lived on the lake outside Darwin! Lake Washington!

gal-road-mn-twine-ball-jpg.jpg

Who can argue with that? :D:D

I see a lot of beer snobbery at beer events. It's starting to seem like a wine crowd to me. A lot of sniffing, swirling, eyeballing, and mouth swishing going on. Plus, they have the need to constantly rinse their tasting glass between samples. Mostly guys with long beards, short hair, glasses, ear spacers, and neck tattoos.

To each his own.

In a few years, they will have moved on to something else.

We'll still be here talking about beer. :D

I am glad I don't care what this dude thinks, that's part of being confident in what I like, what I don't like, and no a beer is not just a beer. Is a burger a burger? a taco a taco? a steak a steak? Is Chicken Parm just any old Chicken Parm? The list is endless and there is a real dedication to craft in beer. And yes dedication to a craft means any number of strong opinions. There is more change coming from the US markets. Finally people thrive on quality not market control. Should McDonalds be the source of the only meal in the world? Breakfast Lunch and dinner? Nope, I will 'Snob' it up. Day after Day I will go for quality.

My parents lived on the lake outside Darwin! Lake Washington!

Beautiful area!
The famous Darwin "ball of twine" is a great motorcycle day trip.
That is.... if you're into that kind of corny stuff like I am.
Just livin' life in the fast lane....:p

I am glad I don't care what this dude thinks, that's part of being confident in what I like, what I don't like, and no a beer is not just a beer. Is a burger a burger? a taco a taco? a steak a steak? Is Chicken Parm just any old Chicken Parm? The list is endless and there is a real dedication to craft in beer. And yes dedication to a craft means any number of strong opinions. There is more change coming from the US markets. Finally people thrive on quality not market control. Should McDonalds be the source of the only meal in the world? Breakfast Lunch and dinner? Nope, I will 'Snob' it up. Day after Day I will go for quality.

Where I disagree is when people turn their nose down at McDonald's after trying a gourmet burger they deem to be higher quality. I probably have McDonald's once a year so it isn't what I prefer, but I appreciate it for what it is. And I won't trash someone who likes McDonald's over my favorite gourmet burger.

They key is attitude. If you look down on something because you think it's mass produced and you look down on those enjoy it even with other options, then it's hard to come up with a more accurate term than snob.

I could be called a coffee snob because I buy my beans green and roast them at home at least twice a week to keep them fresh. The taste difference is astronomical IMHO. But when visiting others I will gladly drink instant coffee if I need to and I won't glare at host giving it to me thinking they have no taste or that they are some kind of mindless slave to marketing.

I went out to dinner last Friday night at a local cafe. I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich and with it, a Labatt's Blue (Pilsener). Enjoyed it. Thoroughly.

OMG... That's funny! Thanks for posting Homercidal. I had no idea Weird Al did that.
That about sums up me and Minnesota. The only item omitted in that clip is Minnesota "hotdish"....
And we're not even off topic! See part at about 3:30

I had some friends (one a HB, one not) tell me they spit out some beer at one of the last brewfests we were at. Dont remember the reasons and dont care. I bluntly told them I wouldnt have done that. In my opinion it is uncouth. So its not a over the top hoppy IIPA (which I feel most people put judgement on, hop-forward beers). Get over it. Ive had my fair share of lack of hops beers that were proclaimed as much, but still drank it. Maybe talked with the brewers, got the recipe/water profile/etc and used it as a learning experience. I pass this info to my buddy I have gotten into brewing for notes.

I feel it gets one dimensional when people (not HB) overly judge beer bc 99% of the time its a hoppy beer they are trying to critique. I see it all the time at breweries and fests. Give them a malty beer and cat has their tongue.

Im not snob and appreciate all beer, but the greatest satisfaction is putting someone in their place (ie "This stout has subtle roasted/coffee notes yet retains a great amount of hop flavor, though not typical to style....") Well, it's a Black IPA so.... (true story)

I don't know anyone who would make a show of spitting out a beer they didn't like.

Taste is subjective. One man's trash is another's treasure, but I've been known to pour some very sub-par commercial beers tried out of curiosity down the sink and never buy the brand again - EVER.
When you find something you like, you stick with it and maybe even try to duplicate it on your own.

Life's too short to drink lousy beer, but you never know it's bad unless you try it and allow for a few mistakes.

Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good. It just means a lot of people admit drinking it.

Before I knew what it was, I decided to give the Dogfishhead brand a try. I don't like hoppy bitters, but that's what I ended up buying simply because I wasn't informed enough to purchase the right style. My taste runs to malty wheat beers with mild hops simply because I like the German styles.

Will I drink an American IPA? Probably not willingly, but I'm not going to tell everyone else how their beer should taste or even how to drink it.

'Taint right or polite.

HBT is the living proof that there is no snobbery amongst homebrewers. I've never seen a community so passionate, open and friendly. We all started somewhere and needed help and advice at one point.

Actually I'm sure this guy is not a homebrewer and is the snob himself. When people actually brew they understand the complexity of brewing a Helles, a Kolsch or any other German beer and not just IPAs.

For+anyone+that+wants+it+_ccd0dfc8f420be7430933e660728effe.jpg

We should be able to poke fun at ourselves. Likewise, we should be able to admit that our hobby has it's share of *****ebags, like all others.

But the author can't claim there's a "whole point" to beer and that he has cornered the market on it. What I find most obnoxious about the article is his characterization of beer snobs as a sausagefest of dorks. That is closed minded. It's equivalent to lumping any group into one stereotype.

Back