The quest for Fuggles (SoCal)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm in the OC area wondering if there is any local growers willing to sell me a few Fuggle rhizomes. I have a few already on pre order but I think it would be awesome to grab some locals.

FYI, all hops of a same variety are essentially clones. Grabbing "local" won't be of any advantage with the exception that if you see them when they are growing you can verify that they don't have any systemic problems.

What's of more value is finding out what varieties have done well for others locally. There is great variation from one region to the other based on the different climates.

Good luck in your search.

A friend of mine tried unsuccessfully to grow Fuggles over several seasons in Socal. I don't think it's well suited to our environment. Despite my best efforts, I cannot get some varieties to grow well down here (i.e., Tettnang, Willamette) but other varieties--Cascade, Chinook, Centennial, Nugget, and others--grow great.

I'm sure you could source some Fuggles in the spring from mail-order to try yourself but the fact that they're hard to find locally might be telling in their potential for success.

Hello all. I'm in the OC area wondering if there is any local growers willing to sell me a few Fuggle rhizomes. I have a few already on pre order but I think it would be awesome to grab some locals.

I've noticed people on the internet selling different Fuggle types like Fuggle H. Do you know what type of Fuggle you ordered? I live in Paramount which is near Cerritos when my plants mature and I can pull rhizomes we should do a swap. At the moment I only have Centennial growing.

A friend of mine tried unsuccessfully to grow Fuggles over several seasons in Socal. I don't think it's well suited to our environment. Despite my best efforts, I cannot get some varieties to grow well down here (i.e., Tettnang, Willamette) but other varieties--Cascade, Chinook, Centennial, Nugget, and others--grow great.

I'm sure you could source some Fuggles in the spring from mail-order to try yourself but the fact that they're hard to find locally might be telling in their potential for success.

A general reason why most European varieties do not grow well in the states is that they are acclimated to our lower latitudes. They require greater daylengths in order to flower, a daylength which we could only provide with supplemental lighting, which most people in commercial production are not going to do.

This is an unfortunate biological mechanism that some breeders should take into account, but won't because they're only concerned with their specific growing conditions.

Latest posts

Back