THE perfect food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tacos, Pho, oysters..... I might have to re think tonight's dinner.
If the store at the cannery is open I might have to see what's fresh. Sturgeon, halibut or cod sound good tonight.
Some fresh fry's, maybe some coleslaw.
Mmmm......

I like to take a thick tenderloin steak and slice a pocket into it, fill that pocket with diced habaneros, blue and Swiss cheese and grill. Goes great with some grilled asparagus, sautéed mushrooms, rice pilaf or mashed potatoes and corn. Remove some of the habanero seeds to decrease the hotness.

Ok so im going to show my redneck side here.
Venison steak butterfly and stuff with a pinch ground juiniper and bround bacon, braise in homemade pyment at 300, serven on top of smashed red potatoes with butter, a touch of milk, sourcream, and chives. Make a gravy out of the pyment and drippings. Serve with a nice robust porter

Or rabbit and squirrel stew fortified with bacon drippins and redwine. Onions celery carrots and cooked lentils for a base of the stew

I like to take a thick tenderloin steak and slice a pocket into it, fill that pocket with diced habaneros, blue and Swiss cheese and grill. Goes great with some grilled asparagus, sautéed mushrooms, rice pilaf or mashed potatoes and corn. Remove some of the habanero seeds to decrease the hotness.

That sounds awesome! I prefer to grill my habanero alongside the steak, put bleu chz on top after the steak is flipped (side 2 still grilling) I eat my steaks so rare that the cheeze and hab would still be cold inside (nothing wrong with that, but I prefer the hab and cheese warm).

*No PROPS for my homemade taco shells???????;) You guys are clueless!*

Smoked pork butt. Sliced, pulled, chunks, whatever, with or without BBQ sauce, it's awesome no matter what you do to it.

Smoked pork butt. Sliced, pulled, chunks, whatever, with or without BBQ sauce, it's awesome no matter what you do to it.

Had some really good the other day Against the Grain local brew pub. Awesome view of their tanks 3 stories up.

Pulled pork had a decent bit of "front row seatage" ie; BLACK bits, but what made it awesome, were the 5 custom sauces.

Ghost chili suauce = WIN!!!!!!! Waitress warned me it was too hot. Had to ask for more of it and her eyes almost fell out.;)

Why did I stumble on this AFTER I had started cooking dinner.

Although I'm going to throw in my favourite autumn ( or fall if you prefer) soup.

I roast off a pumpkin or butternut squash with some sweet potatoes, add in a diced habanero, 1/2 a can of flageolet beans and then purée with some milk, paprika, oregano and cumin.

Return to heat and add a couple of diced chorizo sausages ( the soft kind) as well as the other 1/2 can of beans then serve with dried chilli flakes sprinkled on top.

Soup that actually counts as real food....

image-1130101439.jpg

Although I'm going to throw in my favourite autumn ( or fall if you prefer) soup.

I roast off a pumpkin or butternut squash with some sweet potatoes, add in a diced habanero, 1/2 a can of flageolet beans and then purée with some milk, paprika, oregano and cumin.

Return to heat and add a couple of diced chorizo sausages ( the soft kind) as well as the other 1/2 can of beans then serve with dried chilli flakes sprinkled on top.

WOW. Awesome.

CreamyGoodness said:
Easy to do, just keep your hands submerged in the oil and hold in place during frying! :ban:

Don't tell me stuff like that, I have a history of touching welds to see how smooth they are whilst still glowing!

LOL!!!

After I got through laughing at Creamy's suggestion, mcspanner made me spit my beer!

Awesome.

In truth I use chop sticks to hold the tortilla this way and that. I usually get 1 useless one for every 4 "good" ones. The flavor is AMAZING when you fry them yourself.

They are just fine heated up in a toaster or skillet but still soft though, probably better for you.

cheezydemon3 said:
LOL!!!

After I got through laughing at Creamy's suggestion, mcspanner made me spit my beer!

Lol I hope you didn't waste too much beer as a result!

Just out of curiosity, do you have a recipe for the tortillas you'd like to share? One of the very few breads I haven't got round to trying out.

Two words: Pork Belly. Bacon is but one of the countless delights you can create with Pork Belly, the greatest of all foods.

I like making fry bread to use for tacos & the like. Great flavor.

Details my good man....DETAILS!!!

Lol I hope you didn't waste too much beer as a result!

Just out of curiosity, do you have a recipe for the tortillas you'd like to share? One of the very few breads I haven't got round to trying out.

Corn meal and water!;)

I have to admit that I just buy the soft corn tortillas in a big log from the grocery. I'd like to get a tortilla press but haven't gotten around to it.

mcspanner said:

That sounds incredible

Seafood eggs Benedict. Regular eggs Benedict with shrimp, salmon, and Dungeness crab over it. Sooooo good. That or a regular prime rib dip with grilled onions, cheese, and fresh au jus. It's a toss up.

Seafood eggs Benedict. Regular eggs Benedict with shrimp, salmon, and Dungeness crab over it. Sooooo good. That or a regular prime rib dip with grilled onions, cheese, and fresh au jus. It's a toss up.

That reminds me!!

Sharp cheddar omelet topped with shrimp, fresh salsa, and fresh avacado!

Late-night snack perfection-

The Midnight Tomato

Heirloom and/organic tomato of any variety, size, or color (including grape or cherry)
A healthy pinch of salt
A few grinds of black pepper
A little "italian seasoning" (usually bottled with oregano, basil, bay, etc)
A dash of finely minced garlic
A drizzle of good quality olive oil

All proportions to taste

Heavenly, easy, quick, and healthy to boot.

Note that you should bring a nice piece of bread or a spoon to the party. After the tomato juices, spices, garlic and oil start to hang out together you have about a tablespoonish of soup at the bottom of the bowl.

Late-night snack perfection-

The Midnight Tomato

Heirloom and/organic tomato of any variety, size, or color (including grape or cherry)
A healthy pinch of salt
A few grinds of black pepper
A little "italian seasoning" (usually bottled with oregano, basil, bay, etc)
A dash of finely minced garlic
A drizzle of good quality olive oil
Fresh Mozzerella

All proportions to taste

Heavenly, easy, quick, and healthy to boot.

Note that you should bring a nice piece of bread or a spoon to the party. After the tomato juices, spices, garlic and oil start to hang out together you have about a tablespoonish of soup at the bottom of the bowl.

Toast round
slice of tomato
balsamic vinegar
fresh basil leaf
salt&pepper

Pastrami and ham cuban w/ mustard, cheddar and swiss and perfected on the panini press. Now we're talking. (you purists can comment on the lack of pickles, they make my stomach hurt just thinking about them).

Of all the posts so far I would have to try that squash soup, with bacon in it. Maybe trade habenero for serrano.

meadmazer said:
Of all the posts so far I would have to try that squash soup, with bacon in it. Maybe trade habenero for serrano.

It works great in so many variants, I only stick habanero in because I found milder chillies got lost a bit against the squash and sweet potato sweetness so it needed a big boy to hold its own.

I've got some friends coming over for curry night in a bit. I'll try and post some pics.

Now that is one thing I have never gotten into strangely enough. I love stews and goulash, but always go for the other things on the menu than curry. I have also never made a curry.

Maybe I just need the right recipe.

curry is good, and fun to make - but it will stink up your house like nothing else.

for weeks.

Possibly, I learnt curry from a Bangladeshi family I knew through one of my classmates so its generally hot.

Is it something you've tried and didn't enjoy or just never liked the thought of? I think that whilst some foods pair well with wine, nothing goes with beer like a good traditional curry.

Possibly, I learnt curry from a Bangladeshi family I knew through one of my classmates so its generally hot.

Is it something you've tried and didn't enjoy or just never liked the thought of? I think that whilst some foods pair well with wine, nothing goes with beer like a good traditional curry.

Honestly some of the curries I have seen weren't visually appealing (kind of like a slick, shiny gravy), and I developed a prejudice for them from my father. I'm definitely going to have to make one soon, this won't do ;).

Garam Marsala or another curry powder is great in butternut squash soup, incidentally.

I've made scallops with a dusting of crushed cloves and tumeric over braised red cabbage... you'd think I'd make the mental leap.

Latest posts

Back