The Peg Leg - Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nameless

Reaction score
This is the first recipe that I've conjured up on my own and also my first barrel-aged beer. So far I've done 3 batches, a 5, 10, and just recently a 15.5 that will be going to a charity event. I'm pretty critical of the beer I make, but the first two have been pretty tasty, and the third one is still conditioning.

The story...one of my buddies had his leg blown off overseas a little while ago but has made a fantastic recovery and is about to run a half marathon. He's a beer fan, so I only thought it would be appropriate to brew one for him and go the whole nine yards.

Recipe...

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
2 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Warrior [16.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Liberty [5.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop
1.00 oz Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min

Wyeast 1764 (Pacman) or 1056 (American Ale)

1.071 Predicted OG
1.015 Predicted FG

1.055 Actual OG
1.010 Actual FG

(Absolutely terrible efficiency, but I've since improved)

Single infusion at 150F with a 168F batch sparge. 60 minute boil. I did about 6 days in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, and then 2 days in the barrel. The barrel was fresh and there was definitely no need for it to be in there longer the first time. My second batch stayed in the barrel for about 1 month, and I think the third batch will be in for about the same time. I'm conditioning to taste. The hops varieties are more for novelty than anything.

I started off with 5 gallons in the primary and wound up bottling a little bit over 4.

The barrel is from Corsair Distillery in Nashville and was used for their Triple Smoked Whiskey. I highly recommend stopping by for the tour, the guys there are great and they make some good stuff.

Tasting...

It's definitely a full-body beer, but at the same time not syrupy and feels lighter than I expected. The whiskey taste and aroma are extremely distinct, but only last for a second on the palate before giving way to a sweeter vanilla and ever so slightly roasted flavor. I had planned on adding some vanilla to it, but I got plenty from the barrel. The first batch was around for about a year and I didn't try much as it wasn't intended for me, but it did mellow out quite a bit. I enjoyed it fresh and aged, just a different taste.

This is one that I'm definitely keeping as a regular, so any critiques or comments are welcome!

peg_leg.jpg

Back