The ORIGINAL Black IPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who wanted a recipe, there is a thread for Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/stone-xi-anniversary-clone-51521/

Stone 11th Anniversary Ale Recipe
Grain Bill:
90% pale malt
5% 60°L Crystal
5% Weyermann Carafa III Special

OG target is 20.5°P (1.082 SG) Terminal Gravity target is 4°P (1.016 SG)

Hops:
Bittering at start of boil: 100% Chinook
Flavor hops added at end of boil or whirlpool: 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo
Target 120 IBU’s.
Ferment with good ale yeast.
Dry-Hop with 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo.

For a 5 gallon batch I used:

13 lbs 8 oz pale malt
12 oz 60°L Crystal
12 oz Weyermann Carafa III Special
60 min 3 oz Chinook
0 min 2 oz Simcoe
0 min 2 oz Amarillo
dry hop 2 oz Simcoe
dry hop 2 oz Amarillo
Safale US-05

there was a link I saw somewhere that had the recipe's for all the stone beers....7-7-7,8-8-8,etc but I can't find it now. Help please...I know it was a link to Stones website butI can't seem to find the recipe's on there page

this has turned into a landmine!!!
word of warning:
Please-do-not-feed-the-trolls-mmo-online-humor-button.JPG

hope that's not too out of line.

It's not even about being nitpicky though. If you're going to make a blanket statement like that, you need facts, not conjecture, for it to hold any weight.

right, not about nitpicking at all.

But you hadn't previously, nor had I said anything about it, so it came off as a strawman as you're making it sound like I wouldn't agree with it being brought up in a discussion of Black IPA/CDA/ISDA/etc. or something. I never said they didn't or shouldn't come up in discussion, or that people don't label their beers something other than Black IPA when they fit the general guidelines of the so called style (such as Victory), so I'm really struggling to see your point.

as i am yours.

Obviously.

oh, ouch. i've been insulted by an internet troll. :rolleyes:

sorry for feeding the troll here, but you're a tool. not about nitpicking? you argue with the same logic as my wife, which is something i'd define as such. sorry if my list wasn't long or detailed enough for your liking, but i think my point is still the same, sorry my point wasn't in direct agreement with your's, and sorry my knowledge of beer doesn't live up to your standards. really tho, i think i know what i'm talking about here, and not saying you don't but it sure sounds like you're arguing for the pure sake of argument and have no real point to make.
like some other posters, i'm now unsub'ed to the thread, i'm gonna go enjoy some beer, including my CDA, which is obviously a sub par example when stood up to the ones brewed by the all knowing SPLASTIK..... now if only the judges who've tasted it were so enlightened, maybe then we could all agree with this guy. :fro:

I'm the tool? Haha. You're the one belittling your wife and attempting to patronize me over a simple premise... Stay classy.

I don't think he was the one being the troll.

and that's coming from a member with 58 posts in two years, undoubtedly many of them in the vein of ^this^ one. :confused: sort of seems like the pot calling the kettle black, doesn't it?

right, that's how i do, total troll. :rolleyes: i never contribute anything to the forums other than snide comments and '+1' regurgitation of other peoples posts. in fact, the PMs i get on a daily basis asking for advice or input are mainly asking me how i so effectively troll HBT and for ideas on how they can one day master the art of trolling.

I'm the tool? Haha. You're the one belittling your wife and attempting to patronize me over a simple premise... Stay classy.

actually, i was belittling you. my wife has every right to act like a moody little girl sometimes, you on the other hand.....
and yeah, i think you're the tool, the above ^comment^ not only shows that you don't understand analogy, but the definition of the word 'patronize' as well.

see, i too can nitpick and invalidate a point by saying it's not written to my standards.

Haha, a post count measuring contest now? We might as well start whipping out the rulers.

actually, i was belittling you.
By insulting your wife through comparison to me... Classy.

and yeah, i think you're the tool, the above ^comment^ not only shows that you don't understand analogy,
Oh, I understand it quite well.

but the definition of the word 'patronize' as well.
Yeah, that one was probably the wrong word choice, but I still haven't even read the paragraph past the wife sentence, so I was kind of winging it and guessing what the rest was about... Didn't seem a good use of my valuable time since it was straying from the topic at hand, paragraph be too wordy :D

see, i too can nitpick and invalidate a point by saying it's not written to my standards.
That's nice? You might want to leave out the too part though.

nordeastbrewer77 said:
right, that's how i do, total troll. :rolleyes: I never contribute anything to the forums other than snide comments and '+1' regurgitation of other peoples posts. In fact, the pms i get on a daily basis asking for advice or input are mainly asking me how i so effectively troll hbt and for ideas on how they can one day master the art of trolling.

+1

WELL... (as JZ likes to say)

I am currently reading Gordon Strong's Brew Better Beer, and among other controversial statements, he calls the style Black IPA quite a few times in the first chapter about styles. Looks like this one is fairly well wrapped up. Sorry "Cascadians". :)

I am currently reading Gordon Strong's Brew Better Beer, and among other controversial statements, he calls the style Black IPA quite a few times in the first chapter about styles. Looks like this one is fairly well wrapped up. Sorry "Cascadians". :)

I wonder if/when it will become part of the BJCP since he's the head and has kind of dismissed it in the past...

Are a significant number of people entering them into competitions yet? As the style has grown in the commercial world, I'd think so, but I haven't really seen too many of them placing in the catch all category it would be entered into I'd think.

Good point about the comps. Honestly I have no idea since I don't enter many. I have noticed that very strange beers tends to win category 23. Overall, black IPA really isn't a "strange" beer, especially considering it is still "reinheitsgebot approved".

i just did a quick search on the interwebs, and one of the top hits was this thread on the AHA forums. it seems that Gordon Strong doesn't object to the Balck IPA name. :mug: although he says to enter it into cat. 23.
i still stick with Black iPA not being the best descriptive name for the style, but it is a common one. and until it is recognized as a style, it's all just opinion and conjecture. even though i'm partial to CDA, i still refer to mine as a Black IPA sometimes when talking conversationally. it seems that term's more easily accessible to the casual beer drinker.
when they get this into the BJCP styles, i'd like to see CDA, but it does seem it's far more likely to end up as and IBA, or maybe even black IPA.

Are a significant number of people entering them into competitions yet? As the style has grown in the commercial world, I'd think so, but I haven't really seen too many of them placing in the catch all category it would be entered into I'd think.

i think it's more and more common for them to be entered. i have a couple times, first in cat. 10, don't do that. and in cat. 23, seems they score better there. hopefully they'll have a category of their own even if it's called something like Hoppy Black American Style Ale, a category would be nice.

I have noticed that very strange beers tends to win category 23. Overall, black IPA really isn't a "strange" beer, especially considering it is still "reinheitsgebot approved".

it does seem like a weird way to get it into a comp., but it seems to be the place. it's way out of style in any of the American Ale categories, so it makes sense. i can't remember where i read it, either here or in a mag (i'm thinking here), but i read to enter in cat. 23, and describe it as American Style IBA. makes sense since when it has been accepted as a style in comps, that's been the name. :mug:

CDA will never happen because of the backlash it clearly would create. Conversing with the brewer/owner at Rock Art really opened my eyes to how contentious of an issue it was with professional brewers. Its one thing to name a style after its country of origin, but to use a made-up region to describe a beer that wasn't even invented there just because the local brewers and beer drinkers are the loudest ones yelling about it would really cause problems. How would the BJCP deal with other parts of the country refusing to use the name? And more importantly, since the BA has already decided, why would the BJCP use a different name? Remember, the BJCP is really just for hobbyists. The BA is commercially driven and far more important in the grand scheme of things. Based on Gordon's own comments, and the BA already calling it American Black Ale, I'm fairly confident that CDA is last on the list if even still being considered at all.

CDA will never happen because of the backlash it clearly would create. Conversing with the brewer/owner at Rock Art really opened my eyes to how contentious of an issue it was with professional brewers. Its one thing to name a style after its country of origin, but to use a made-up region to describe a beer that wasn't even invented there just because the local brewers and beer drinkers are the loudest ones yelling about it would really cause problems. How would the BJCP deal with other parts of the country refusing to use the name? And more importantly, since the BA has already decided, why would the BJCP use a different name? Remember, the BJCP is really just for hobbyists. The BA is commercially driven and far more important in the grand scheme of things. Based on Gordon's own comments, and the BA already calling it American Black Ale, I'm fairly confident that CDA is last on the list if even still being considered at all.

oh, i'm sure you're right. it's obviously a hot topic for debate. and what you said about naming it for 'Cascadia' is totally true, many folks would be offended by that. i really just like the ring of it, and it makes sense since that region is the hops growing region of the US. but it makes more sense to categorize it as an American ale style, and to give it a name that describes it's style. American Style Black Ale does just that.
either way they do it, i'm hoping to see it as an actual style in comp soon. it's obviously a popular style that many folks brew, it's definitely not a specialty beer by definition, and it's definitely an American original. 10D would seem the place, no matter what they end up calling it. :mug:

I agree with you about the comps. Even a VERY hoppy version would be face an uphill battle in category 23. I just made a black saison, and if I wanted to enter it, I would put it in the saison style and deal with the small hit for color. The difference though is that other than color, saison allows for a wide-range of characteristics in the style; IPA doesn't. Now enter the BIPA in category 23, and you're up against A chocolate caramel whiskey margarita vanilla pineapple porter (one beer) and other nonsense like that. I'm sure there will be a new category for it whenever they get around to the revision.

I think it's naive for anyone in general to claim they were the first to make a black IPA. The inconceivable notion that a single person was uniquely responsible for the creation of something with that simple of a combination, is ridiculous. We get people on these forums who believe that they have created something new, only to find that there is another person who has tried it or even that there is a commercial version of it. The odds of finding the actual creator, are as slim as finding the person who originated the Sandwich. I believe that instead of touting a brewery as the originator, we should be praising them on the merit their beer instead.

That's just ridiculous logic, right there! What kind of world would we live in if people set aside their egos and sought truth. Bah! I prefer to live in a world full of petty squabbles over classification and origination of beer.:D

PS My grandfather invented the sandwich!

I am jealous, I really enjoyed their beer a few years ago. I still have a bottle of Vermonster in the Cellar I should think about drinking.

Hell yeah, every beer there rocked, no pun intended... hehe. I hate that Vermont has that stupid 4 sample limit. My wife is pregnant right now, I have a designated driver!!! I spent almost $100 there on bombers to bring home.

Back