The need for a secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBulldogg

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot on this board how people move beer from the primary to the secondary before bottling, but I haven't been able to figure out the benefit of this extra hassle. Admittedly, I'm a beginner just starting out with simple kits, but the book I have, the kit instructions and the Zymurgy introductory issue all only talk about bottling right after the initial fermentation (about a week after the boil). Is the secondary merely an issue when brewing specific types of beer?

Secondary is not required, but having just popped my first batch switching from 1 to 2 weeks in the secondary, I can 1st hand tell you it makes a noticably cleaner tasting clearer looking brew.

My "house beer" goes from two weeks in the primary right to bottle, and it comes out clear and tasty. But some beers do better in a secondary, and if you are fussy about clarity, they will help.

El Pistolero said:
Here's a good read by Ray Daniels on secondary fermentation. You can decide for yourself whether it's worth it or not, but personally I think it makes better beer.

I secondary that secondary:tank: If you read throughout the forum you will come across many who notice a lot of yeast in the bottles. After it is said and done it is usually seen that they did not rack to a secondary. Not always, but a secondary certainly has its advantages... one being to make your beer a bit more clear.

Ahh... Ok, that explains things. Thanks. Sounds like I'll have to prepare some arguments for my wife on why it's really, really necessary to buy a glass carboy for my next batch. BTW what's the proper way to pronounce it -- like car and boy together or quick "car" and more emphasis on the "b"?

MrBulldogg said:
Ahh... Ok, that explains things. Thanks. Sounds like I'll have to prepare some arguments for my wife on why it's really, really necessary to buy a glass carboy for my next batch. BTW what's the proper way to pronounce it -- like car and boy together or quick "car" and more emphasis on the "b"?
CAR-boy
good luck with SWMBO

Latest posts

Back