The "Mr. Beer goes horribly wrong" guy: Where he is today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
Just wanted to post something inspiring for you guys :mug:

Remember this guy?
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g09b17V4NWQ[/ame]

And here is him now (well 2013..)
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMvDPAKgkN0[/ame]

He went from an awful batch of mr. beer (not saying good beer can't be made with mr. beer) to brewing all grain! So remember no matter how bad your beer sucks you will get better :D

His all grain setup is quite unusual. Quite a creative mash tun. Looks like he's doing a no-sparge. I've never seen anyone pump that far to the kettle and then siphon it back so far. Looks like hes doing 15 gallon partial boil batches. Interesting. Sounds like his beer is good.

Omfg... the sheer joy, followed by utter disappointment. Been there.

Been laughing so hard.

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

His all grain setup is quite unusual. Quite a creative mash tun. Looks like he's doing a no-sparge. I've never seen anyone pump that far to the kettle and then siphon it back so far. Looks like hes doing 15 gallon partial boil batches. Interesting. Sounds like his beer is good.

Man...just goes to show we all do it a bit differently. Especially this guy!

Eh, I've done alot worse. Made metheglins that noone would drink and didn't even taste good as a chicken marinade and no amount of aging helped. This week did an expired Mr. Beer West Coast Pale Ale batch I added DME, mugwort, heather, honey and used nottingham yeast with. Thinking of adding some bourbon soaked oak chips too. Doing my 1st BIAB (Bourbon Stout) tomorrow.

Ok...this had me laughing so hard I had tears.
The dry coconutting was priceless!
But it also gves me hope! I also started years ago with Mr. Beer.
Hope to be all-grain by years end. Then I'll also take the keg plunge.....

@Premnasbiaculeatus, and everyone else: what are your opinions on the food safety on that eggcrate louver that's being used for the false bottom? All I can find on the stuff is it's either made from polystyrene or acrylic, and that I'm not sure of.

I had thought about doing something similar, only using a biab bag for filter and a modified kitchen cooling rack as the false bottom. I happen to have some of this eggcrate material laying around so this would be a good option as long as it doesn't give my future kid 3 eyeballs or anything.

Thanks for Posting this. I had no idea when I made this video it would be so popular. It didn't feel funny when I made it. My first video not about gardening... :eek:

I know this is a couple days late... but the hilarious thing about it is just the joy you had when you smelled it and it "smelled like beer."

Then you tasted it, and your dreams were dashed.

I've been there. It's highly relate-able, and I didn't even have the excuse of old ingredients when I brewed my first batch, which is slowly dying on a rack in my basement.

Don't have the heart to dump it all, yet. Glad to see you pulled through though.

@Premnasbiaculeatus, and everyone else: what are your opinions on the food safety on that eggcrate louver that's being used for the false bottom? All I can find on the stuff is it's either made from polystyrene or acrylic, and that I'm not sure of.

I had thought about doing something similar, only using a biab bag for filter and a modified kitchen cooling rack as the false bottom. I happen to have some of this eggcrate material laying around so this would be a good option as long as it doesn't give my future kid 3 eyeballs or anything.

The eggcrate I'm using is poly vinyl chloride, which is usually rated for up to 140 degrees (I'm exceeding this temp, i know) as far as PVC pipe is concerned. PVC is not known to contain or leech BPAs at any temperature although it could be leaching something, I doubt it's any more harmful than what's already in our tap water. That said it wouldnt be a bad idea for me to upgrade to something made from stainless or aluminum.

As far as plastic leeching substances that are a cause for concern; the primary issue that bpas and similar molecules pose is that they simulate the effects of estrogen in mice. So young girls drinking from number 7 plastic water bottles might have premature puberty, or teenage boys might develop breasts. Adult women could increase their risk of breast cancer or acquire irregular menstrual cycles or have fertility issues (according to the anti-plastic movement). Future kids having three eyes is not even something to consider.

I know this is a couple days late... but the hilarious thing about it is just the joy you had when you smelled it and it "smelled like beer."

Then you tasted it, and your dreams were dashed.

I've been there. It's highly relate-able, and I didn't even have the excuse of old ingredients when I brewed my first batch, which is slowly dying on a rack in my basement.

Don't have the heart to dump it all, yet. Glad to see you pulled through though.

Yeah I was super bummed. My philosophy though; drink it any way. Even if you have to cut it with bud light to make it swallowable. It's your child you have to love it anyway, because it came from you.

Adult women could increase their risk of breast cancer or acquire irregular menstrual cycles or have fertility issues (according to the anti-plastic movement). Future kids having three eyes is not even something to consider.

So what your trying to tell me is don't worry about mutant kids because I'm not going to be able to have kids anyway? Problem solved! :rockin: Man, birth control never tasted this good before.

(just kiddin around, I get ya)

This was really interesting. Makes me feel good. Thankfully I have had more success than failure but I have made that same face, pure excitement moments before opening a bottle to utter, soul crushing disappointment once it was in the glass.

The eggcrate I'm using is poly vinyl chloride, which is usually rated for up to 140 degrees (I'm exceeding this temp, i know) as far as PVC pipe is concerned. PVC is not known to contain or leech BPAs at any temperature although it could be leaching something, I doubt it's any more harmful than what's already in our tap water. That said it wouldnt be a bad idea for me to upgrade to something made from stainless or aluminum.

As far as plastic leeching substances that are a cause for concern; the primary issue that bpas and similar molecules pose is that they simulate the effects of estrogen in mice. So young girls drinking from number 7 plastic water bottles might have premature puberty, or teenage boys might develop breasts. Adult women could increase their risk of breast cancer or acquire irregular menstrual cycles or have fertility issues (according to the anti-plastic movement). Future kids having three eyes is not even something to consider.

Yeah I was super bummed. My philosophy though; drink it any way. Even if you have to cut it with bud light to make it swallowable. It's your child you have to love it anyway, because it came from you.

You just saved me from dumping 10 gallons of infected beer. I will drink it all regardless and get drunk. Thank you thank you thank you.

Latest posts

Back