The Joys of Brewing... In a New Environment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarborTownBrewing

Reaction score
I just moved to a new place and today I tried my first brew there. At my last place I had a fantastic routine and lay out. With a new place though, today I had to reinvent everything.

I had a lot of issues but the worst was when I realized I had to carry my wort down stairs to the basement to cool it. Wasnt able to connect my wort chiller in the kitchen (I didn't really plan this one well).

With a last second thought that maybe I should put on my grilling apron (Oh yes, and I love it) I slowly began carrying my 5.5 gallons of 210 degree wort down the steps. It was all fine until I apparently got some sloshing at the very end - I only found out when I heard a noise and then felt. .. extreme heat throughout my, well, lower torso.

The pic shows the apron caught some of the wort but you'll have to believe me my shorts and under-area took the majority of the wort.

Plus I missed my target OG. Brewing in a new place - it's not my fav.

View attachment 1464384936840.jpg

Happened to me. But i just disconnected my sink faucet and ran my chiller from the connections under the sink. I did it that way for about a half dozen brews before I got myself to home depot for the right part. Carrying that wort dowstairs at that temp was pretty brave. Good luck in the future. :mug:

There were a lot of flaws. Heck, I went to put my thermometer away and it slid into the case, popped out the plastic stopper on the other end, and shattered all over the floor. On the bright side I learned it didn't contain mercury.

Next time I brew I'll have my new faucet installed and a proper connection for the wort chiller. At least that's the goal

I feel your pain brother. I bought a new home in Colorado and sent the majority of my brew gear there with the understanding that I could brew at a friends place with his equipment until I make my move out west. Brewed today and I have never felt so lost....not to say it was terrible but it certainly was not comfortable or smooth....and since I am not leaving the beer at his place, I had to transport my wort home where I could pitch the yeast.

I'll tell you tomorrow. Just moved a few weeks ago. Taking the gear for a spin tomorrow.

My neighbors love my kegerator though.

So it went really well actually. Everything is closer and less carrying if heavy/hot items is always a plus. Only downside is my new sink is a bit narrower than my old which made cleanup a little messier.

Looking forward to many more batches here

Glad to hear, Doc. The sink is a kicker for me - at the old place I had a really large basin sink but this new place has a noticably smaller one. Makes it a little more difficult for washing some of the stuff.

I went out of town immediately after I brewed and left my wort alone until three days later. Fortunately I hooked up a blow-off tube because the thing went nuts and filled the blowoff basin (growler with some star san) with beer and some yeast. Looks like it worked anyways! :rockin:

I just went through the same thing moving into a new house. The upside is that I no longer have to haul my carboys up and down stairs since I have a sink in the basement in the new house. The bad news is that each and every brew day has been a slight evolution in setup as I figure out what should go where. Also during the move I temporarily misplaced some equipment and bought some unneeded replacements. Either way, we're now homeowners so I've got plenty of time to work out the kinks.

Good luck to you and happy homebrewing in your new location.

Back