The (im)patience game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigrbuk

Reaction score
Hi.

First time brewer, Cooper's stock lager recipe to the book. 7 days in now and the gravity reading has dropped 1 point in last 3 days to 1009, none in last consecutive days. I'm assuming first fermentation has completed but I've read it's beneficial to wait a little while, which suits me, I'll have more time on the weekend.

Couple of things.

I assume waiting another 3 days is ok?

There are still a few remaining bubbles on the surface, do they all disappear when it's finished? Is it brew dependent? A sign still some slow ferment taking place?

Quick taste test at today's reading and it tastes like warm flat beer, seems right to me.

Cheap fridge purchased for fermentation chamber, other bits on the way for next brew :)

If the gravity is stable, it's safe to bottle. There is certainly nothing wrong with waiting a few more days though. In fact, I think most people would recommend it.

A few lingering bubbles and/or some yeast rafts are completely normal.

I'd recommend at least 2 weeks fermenting. And at least 2 weeks after bottling. Even tho it's probably done fermenting after a week yeast is going to clean up your beer even more.
Plus an extra week in primary is easier to hold back on then the full bottles in your closet.
When I first started the most important thing I think I learned my first few batches was patience

When I first started the most important thing I think I learned my first few batches was patience

Amen. The "impatience" factor is why you can determine most noob brewer's first few batches are not so great.

Thanks folks, will leave it alone for a few more days to clean up. Hopefully prevent any bottle rockets too, which could curtail my brewing career as far as the other half is concerned!

Thanks folks, will leave it alone for a few more days to clean up. Hopefully prevent any bottle rockets too, which could curtail my brewing career as far as the other half is concerned!

Right you are. I still find beer in my closet from when an airlock blew-off many years ago. And yes, SWMBO still reminds me of this event...

I love brewing my own beer. I've become completely engrossed in this hobby. The worst part for me is the waiting. My patience is tested with every brew I make. If you can find the patience, use it. You'll be glad you did.

I usually find the thing that helps to pass the time is brew more! And it also helps build up the pipeline and once that's done it helps with the waiting part.

I've got my next kit ready (keep it simple to start with), just measured out the fridge and the bucket is too big with an bubbler on it. Blanking grommit on order and will just not fully seal the lid.

I've got my next kit ready (keep it simple to start with), just measured out the fridge and the bucket is too big with an bubbler on it. Blanking grommit on order and will just not fully seal the lid.

If you want you can just put the lid over the bucket. Don't snap it down or the pressure might blow the lid off. It would be fine without the airlock (seal the airlock hole though) as long as you bottle soon after reaching final gravity.

I usually find the thing that helps to pass the time is brew more! And it also helps build up the pipeline and once that's done it helps with the waiting part.

Yep. For the first time in my 2 years brewing, I've ordered multiple recipes at once. Now I have to decide on what to brew next. Probably Dunkelweizen, maybe a SMaSH. I love the choice.

Another great way to keep patience, is to always have homebrewed beer on hand. If you run out, you're more likely to rush the batch you just brewed.

Latest posts

Back