The Hunger Games is a horrible turd of a film.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest problem with the movie is that they toned it down to get the PG-13 rating, thus defeating the whole point of the book. The whole point if the book is that we as a country view war as a spectator sport. When you get rid of the brutality of the book, you lose the message.

yeah.. movie wasn't great the way it was, in that aspect.. they were quite graphic in some parts of the books and the movie just grazed over a lot of that stuff.. should have been more residentevil-like in some of the fight scenes

It's not that there wasn't enough blood on the screen. The story is silly from the ground up. It's a tween action movie for god's sake -- a melodrama about a world where parents let their tweens march off to be sacrificed because nobody really understands them anyway!!! Ugh. There are so many great movies out there in this world -- this kids flick ain't one of 'em.

bigbeergeek said:
It's not that there wasn't enough blood on the screen. The story is silly from the ground up. It's a tween action movie for god's sake -- a melodrama about a world where parents let their tweens march off to be sacrificed because nobody really understands them anyway!!! Ugh. There are so many great movies out there in this world -- this kids flick ain't one of 'em.

Their "tweens" are marched off to be sacrificed as a show of power by the central government. It's a means by which the ruling order retains absolute power and the citizens are broken down into castes and their spirits are suppressed. That is why the president tells the game-maker that some hope is good but too much hope is detrimental to their cause. That's the central theme of the book, a brave girl and boy who choose to step out of the bounds of absolute control and defy their rulers.

Their "tweens" are marched off to be sacrificed as a show of power by the central government. It's a means by which the ruling order retains absolute power and the citizens are broken down into castes and their spirits are suppressed. That is why the president tells the game-maker that some hope is good but too much hope is detrimental to their cause. That's the central theme of the book, a brave girl and boy who choose to step out of the bounds of absolute control and defy their rulers.

Sure, but where's the intimidation in the film? Where's the patriotic identity of the district? If you and your family could escape through a hole in the fence, why stay and watch your children get slaughtered? Why not strangle the red-dressed matriarch of district 12 in the baggage car? I just couldn't "suspend my disbelief" of the plot as presented in the film -- the group's actions didn't seem justified.

That's the central theme of the book, a brave girl and boy who choose to step out of the bounds of absolute control and defy their rulers.

Sounds like the whimpering scribbles from a mopey teenager's diary to me...
seriously. It's a tween epic.

bigbeergeek said:
Sounds like the whimpering scribbles from a mopey teenager's diary to me...
seriously. It's a tween epic.

All Im saying is the film had more substance than being a melodrama about slaughtering teens whose parents cannot relate to them. It wasn't a great film by any stretch and I definitely wouldn't call it an epic. I read the first book and have no desire to read the sequels. I don't think I would've been entertained even in my tweens. Just saying its had an actual central theme. As someone stated earlier in the thread, I wish they'd start making movies based on Heinlein books, they would appeal to a much broader audience. And they're awesome

My tablet balanced on your moms head as I rhythmically pounded her, we both found it thourghly enjoyable. To each his own...

Yikes. I though mother preferred men who read books written for grown-ups. Standards... are... slipping...

Both of my twenty something daughters loved the books and talked me into watching the movie. It was OK but not something I would watch again. I believe the recently released Battleship to be one of the worst modern science fiction movies.

If you and your family could escape through a hole in the fence, why stay and watch your children get slaughtered?

Because when you escape air ships come to track you down, then they cut out your tongue and turn you into a slave/servant.

Because when you escape air ships come to track you down, then they cut out your tongue and turn you into a slave/servant.

I don't fee the immediate threat of tongue-cutting or the omnipresence of the state in the film. In fact, the film opens with the main character going for a casual hunt, passing through the dilapidated electric fence in broad daylight and being joined by another escapee shortly thereafter. Sure, their "escape" is brief, but it completely undercuts the notion of the impossibility of escape or the absolute necessity of participation in the games.

I don't fee the immediate threat of tongue-cutting or the omnipresence of the state in the film. In fact, the film opens with the main character going for a casual hunt, passing through the dilapidated electric fence in broad daylight and being joined by another escapee shortly thereafter. Sure, their "escape" is brief, but it completely undercuts the notion of the impossibility of escape or the absolute necessity of participation in the games.

You're right, the movie handles this poorly but I'm pretty sure the movie covered Katniss recognizing her servant, who is mute because she has no tongue, as an escapee she saw in the woods once.

Basically, yes it might be possible to sneak out but once the capital finds out they have basically infinite resources that they can use to track escapees down.

Latest posts

Back