The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE! Viva Chile! You bastards might have taken the ocean from Bolivia, but you can make it up to me with a win here.

What's with the spray paint on the free kick spot and the wall? Is that new?

(Yes, I know it's for the distance rule, just don't remember them being so formal about it before).

I am one who likes the PK at the end of the game after 120 minutes.
The dramer(my best Ian Darke) after an exhausting game, someone is going to make a mistake. Something so simple as a PK that year in and year out, defy even the greatest players.

Netherlands dude just about ripped the back of the net out with that one!

Mexico gave up WAY too many corners in second half. It's a numbers game with the set pieces: eventually one will go in, and it did. Sneijder had an easy shot from the middle, but yeah he absolutely ripped that sucker.

Robben's flopping is killing me. I know he's a super attacker, but I don't like the guy for the dives.

There is a big difference between "selling the foul" and taking a dive. Robben was fouled (no doubt on it, the guy missed the ball and got the legs) and Robben sold it fully to the ref.

There is a big difference between "selling the foul" and taking a dive. Robben was fouled (no doubt on it, the guy missed the ball and got the legs) and Robben sold it fully to the ref.

Eh, I don't view them as all that different. Diving = going to ground when you didn't have to. Whether you were fouled or not doesn't change if it was a dive, at least not in my use of the word. But going along with that is the fact that just because a player dove doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't fouled.

In a way, the "selling the foul" version is somewhat understandable, given that a lot of times fouls go uncalled if the player doesn't go down.

All that having been said, it's all annoying and I love watching players who are willing to play through any and all contact that they possibly can.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

We'll have to disagree. Mexico shouldn't have had a leg in there, dumb for sure, but it was a dive. Robben was doing it all day. Robben was denied a clear foul earlier in the match, so I'll assume this was a make-up call.

robben-dive.gif

Plus, he had played the ball too far, so even without any contact, it was a turnover.

Should've been a "play on".

(Netherlands probably still wins in extra time - Mexico was tired)

Yeah, Clockwork Orange would probably still have won, but that was a BS way to decide the game.

Anyway, what's done is done. Vamos Ticos!

Plus, he had played the ball too far, so even without any contact, it was a turnover.

Should've been a "play on".

(Netherlands probably still wins in extra time - Mexico was tired)

That's what makes it a stupid foul, but it doesn't make it not a foul. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Hopefully Robben follows his coach to Manchester United with Nani, Young and Robben they'll have the diving dream team.

He should of got a penalty in the first half so I guess it all works out.

Robben certainly embellished that last one but Rafa Marquez did make contact with his foot. It was very weak but it was contact. Robben did flop earlier in the game and was legitimately fouled and not called so in the end it's pretty much a wash.

Hate Robben, but also hate Marquez. Too bad they weren't injured in that challenge to insure one of them would be out the next match.

Robben did flop earlier in the game and was legitimately fouled and not called so in the end it's pretty much a wash.

Perhaps, but if the Dutch has scored halfway through the game, instead of at the very end, it would have given Mexico some time to do something about it. Their second half game would have most likely been very different.

Perhaps, but if the Dutch has scored halfway through the game, instead of at the very end, it would have given Mexico some time to do something about it. Their second half game would have most likely been very different.

True, but against a team who feasts on counters that could have bitten Mexico in the ass.

True, but against a team who feasts on counters that could have bitten Mexico in the ass.

Oh, no doubt. Mexico looked sharp on defense the whole Cup, but it was a game of attrition against a team like NED. Plus, they seemed to have difficulty dealing with their speed and routes. And height. And, well...you get the picture. Still, at least the game would have been decided by some honest football instead of a PK call by the ref.

Who, me? Where did bulging in the onion bag, or whatever that dude's catch phrase was, get introduced? I must have missed it.

Yeah, I remember that guy. Ugly and annoying.

In the Mexico game all you can do is ask the referee to be consistent. Something that is not a foul in the first ten minutes should not become a foul in the last ten minutes. Players will adjust to a referee and a good game can be had as long as the ref stays consistent.

The ref in this game was not consistent.

I'm glad Mexico went home... even if the penalty was questionable. Everyone keeps harping on about how it decided the game, but Mexico didn't seem to offer much else going forward after they scored. Perhaps they could have gone on and got another so they weren't at the mercy of a questionable Robben foul in the box. Of course that would have exposed them more defensively, but you gotta make a choice and they chose to try and weather the storm.

That being said, Robben admitted to diving in the first half, but insisted the one that won them a penalty was a legitimate foul. FIFA needs to do a heck of a lot better at policing diving. Supposedly it's a yellow card offense, but how often do you see them give a card for it? The most you usually see is an admonishing stare from the ref as he signals for the player to get up.

If you dive in the box, even once, it should be a yellow. Outside the box you should get a warning and then a yellow. The only way they can eliminate it is if it has real consequences and those consequences are enforced...

Diving and refereeing decisions will always be debatable, but that late penalty decision was far from a scandal and is being over-blown. It was really a call, good or bad that is made in many games.

Back