The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hometown Bristol City (that I normally can't be bothered with) bested another EPL side in the League Cup.

Spurs play Wet Spam tomorrow.

Meanwhile holy f*** Wolves are holding their own against a now mostly first team Manchester City. This is going to penalties.

spuds just lost to West Ham at Wembley in the League Cup
trollface1.png

I have no clue who to go with for the USMNT Next coach. I know sadly in some ways the squad coming into this friendly is better. Imagine Danny Williams, John Brooks, Matt Miazga or CCV, and Kelyn Rowe on the team would probably have been nice.

Anyway right now Tata Martinez is the name tied with USMNT I like the most. But I would love to see Ramos have a shot with the senior team as well.

I have no clue who to go with for the USMNT Next coach. I know sadly in some ways the squad coming into this friendly is better. Imagine Danny Williams, John Brooks, Matt Miazga or CCV, and Kelyn Rowe on the team would probably have been nice.

I know a guy.........
& his name is El Loco
_97271248_marcelo_bielsa_gettyimages-2.jpg

I know a guy.........
& his name is El Loco

Bielsa is a name I've heard but money is an issue. Realize the US Soccer people hated on Klinsmann for making like 3M to be manager and technical director. Biesla rumored to want 4M and to change the start of the MLS season

I'd want Biesla simply to enjoy him taking rips at MLS and Garber and to hear Garber's responses.

Germany is going to take the FIFA Cup again! Undefeated thus far!

Probably not, it really lines up well for Brazil. They'll actually have keepers, and maybe David Luiz won't wreck their chances

That plus I'm betting on Belgium, it's their peak of the golden generation, With Courtois, Hazard, Kompany, Alderweireld, Vermaelan, Vertonghen, De BRuyne, and Lukaku all in that great age, they could be a force to be reckoned with. They lack the depth that the Germans and Spanish have, But they have individual talent that only Brazil and Argentina rival.

Looking ahead for the USMNT here's what needs to be addressed before we go into 2022 qualifying.

1. Left back. Villafana is 28 and not good enough. I don't think in 3-4 years he'll be any better. There is another option here I'll tag on in the next point.

2. Sorting out the Centerbacks. US has already 1 great young CB in John Brooks. They have a few interesting prospects including Tottenham's Cameron Carter-Vickers, Chelsea's Matt Miazga, and Manchester City's Emerson Palmer-Brown. Which leads to a potential LB solution, which is the US doesn't go with a traditional 4 man back and goes with a 3 man back. Especially since all those CBs are athletic.

3. Get hyped about potential in the midfield. Here's where things look most interesting for the US. Already with a talented young guy in Acosta, add in McKennie, Gonzalez, Adams, Hyndman, Gooch, and many more interesting options. But that's not factoring the winger/attacker types in Pulisic, Carleton, Perez, Wright, and more. Or the potential guys who may need a club move first to regain some shiine like Zelalem and Green. Or the who knows like De la Torre. The point is that there's a very good chance we could actually have an issue with finding places to play guys in the midfield and I'm really looking forward to thatafter the disaster of our midfield this year.

4. Sort out goalkeeping. Odds are 1 of Gonzalez, Horvath, or Klinsmann amounts to something. Add in a chance that someone like Steffan could turn it around after a relative fail in Europe. Hamid looks to be moving to Europe this winter and he has all the ability to be a quality keeper and maybe a trip to Europe will enhance his game. 31 isn't old for a keeper so he could be the one next WC.

5. Letting Pulisic play with Wood/Sargent/Morris etc. They'll be our attacking force going forward. We need to figure out who'll be attacking with Pulisic.

Looking ahead for the USMNT here's what needs to be addressed before we go into 2022 qualifying.

1. Left back. Villafana is 28 and not good enough. I don't think in 3-4 years he'll be any better. There is another option here I'll tag on in the next point.

2. Sorting out the Centerbacks. US has already 1 great young CB in John Brooks. They have a few interesting prospects including Tottenham's Cameron Carter-Vickers, Chelsea's Matt Miazga, and Manchester City's Emerson Palmer-Brown. Which leads to a potential LB solution, which is the US doesn't go with a traditional 4 man back and goes with a 3 man back. Especially since all those CBs are athletic.

3. Get hyped about potential in the midfield. Here's where things look most interesting for the US. Already with a talented young guy in Acosta, add in McKennie, Gonzalez, Adams, Hyndman, Gooch, and many more interesting options. But that's not factoring the winger/attacker types in Pulisic, Carleton, Perez, Wright, and more. Or the potential guys who may need a club move first to regain some shiine like Zelalem and Green. Or the who knows like De la Torre. The point is that there's a very good chance we could actually have an issue with finding places to play guys in the midfield and I'm really looking forward to thatafter the disaster of our midfield this year.

4. Sort out goalkeeping. Odds are 1 of Gonzalez, Horvath, or Klinsmann amounts to something. Add in a chance that someone like Steffan could turn it around after a relative fail in Europe. Hamid looks to be moving to Europe this winter and he has all the ability to be a quality keeper and maybe a trip to Europe will enhance his game. 31 isn't old for a keeper so he could be the one next WC.

5. Letting Pulisic play with Wood/Sargent/Morris etc. They'll be our attacking force going forward. We need to figure out who'll be attacking with Pulisic.

It's nice that you have the enthusiasm for WC 2022, but that is a long ways away from now. I can't get that excited for anything from the USNMT.

It's nice that you have the enthusiasm for WC 2022, but that is a long ways away from now. I can't get that excited for anything from the USNMT.

Eh, this was gonna be a bad world cup without bombing out. Only fun thing would be seeing Pulisic play against the best in the world. Rest of the team aside from him and Brooks isn't good enough. Most of the rest are prospects who need another year or two or in the case of Wood who knows where he winds up in a year or 2.

Carlo Ancelotti on managing Arsenal: “As far as I’m concerned there’s only two teams in London, Chelsea and Chelsea reserves”

The Best quote I read today :D

Carlo Ancelotti on managing Arsenal: “As far as I’m concerned there’s only two teams in London, Chelsea and Chelsea reserves”

The Best quote I read today :D

He may be borrowing that one.

“I always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside… Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.” - Bill Shankly

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/christian-pulisic-usmnt-world-cup/

Seeing far and away the best American player point out the same flaws in the US developmental system that Jurgen harped on is refreshing in a way (it means the players don't have the wool over their eyes) and also disconcerting because it highlights the biggest failure of firing Jurgen, that we had the right person to make the big long term changes and fired him to replace him with a coach who failed at his one job. Add in that there's been little noticable movement with the TD.

Not a good Champions League draw for Spurs (Juve). Worse for Chelsea (Barca). The Northern guys get it much easier (Basel, Sevilla, and Porto for City, ManU, and Liverpool).

At least we didn't draw Bayern.

PSG vs Real Madrid will be tasty though.

Also I watched the latter half of the MLS Cup as I assume everyone else did. I guess Seattle didn't feel like showing up.

Also Northern Derby Day was hilarious. In Merseyside Everton drew level late on a COMPLETELY undeserved penalty (Toffees put in even less effort than Seattle) and Klopp justifiably furious after the final whistle. And in Manchester apparently a full on brawl in the tunnel afterwards.

I suppose it's best to let Pep run with it, and in that light good that Jose dropped 3 points.

"You gotta beat the best to be the best."

Everyone said we had no chance against Dortmund and Real Madrid.

Just that between easy now and hard later, and hard now AND hard later, I'll always opt for easy now.

In any event we thrashed Juventus in pre-season, no doubt we can do it again.

Back