The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i

Not sure the source, but what appear to be US viewership numbers for the EPL this season are fascinating.

Surprised that City is so high, Chelsea so low (below West Ham?), and what I regularly see as the most popular side in the US (Arsenal) being below Spurs is odd but awesome.

Presumably there's some influence on competing matches, other competing content, match times, channels, etc, because these seem to fly in the face of data I normally see (most popular in order Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Spurs, IIRC, less sure past Arsenal and Man U).

Either that, or it's fake. My money is on fake.

View attachment 1495415221250.jpg

Not sure the source, but what appear to be US viewership numbers for the EPL this season are fascinating.

Surprised that City is so high, Chelsea so low (below West Ham?), and what I regularly see as the most popular side in the US (Arsenal) being below Spurs is odd but awesome.

Presumably there's some influence on competing matches, other competing content, match times, channels, etc, because these seem to fly in the face of data I normally see (most popular in order Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Spurs, IIRC, less sure past Arsenal and Man U).

freshprince_2017EPL_zpszatqyzm8.jpg

Enjoy it while you can. Figure next year you make a deep UCL run, but finish mid table, and a new manager for the '17-18 season.

Spurs are likely to end up Pot 3 for the Champions League group stage. This is not an enticing prospect.

Hoping some results elsewhere in Europe go our way and we join City in Pot 2 and get to dodge some bigger guns early on.

Enjoy it while you can. Figure next year you make a deep UCL run, but finish mid table, and a new manager for the '17-18 season.

laughs_zpstdxtgcie.jpg

or we can **** around & win us a Treble - Don Antonio is a Genius
pure & simple - btw good luck trying to keep your team together - we all know that Mr. Levy is a business man & no deal is taboo - I can see Kane going to Real Madrid & Poch coaching at Inter

laughs_zpstdxtgcie.jpg

or we can **** around & win us a Treble - Don Antonio is a Genius
pure & simple - btw good luck trying to keep your team together - we all know that Mr. Levy is a business man & no deal is taboo - I can see Kane going to Real Madrid & Poch coaching at Inter

Until Costa and Fabregas are playing only every 3rd match because they keep getting 2 match bans for diving.

Also I'm sure you thought the same of The [Not So] Special One and we all know how that turned out.

Kane ain't going anywhere. And neither is Poch. Thus far only person whom I'd rather keep that seems likely to leave is Walker, and it seems he wants out anyway.

Small news from my tiny football neck of the woods

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/10/13/former-mls-coach-and-mvp-preki-hired-coach-st-louis-fc-usl

Our minor league team has gotten a hell of a new head coach.

so are you happy w/ Saint Louis FC? I see that Saint Louis FC advanced in the US Open Cup & will host the Chicago Fire. There were a few players from Sac Republic that rejoined Preki at St Louis FC. One that sticks out to me is Octavio Guzman. He was a solid performer w/ Sac-Town. Suffered an injury from a bad tackle & really didn't regain his form that he had when Sac-Town won the USL in 2014

so are you happy w/ Saint Louis FC? I see that Saint Louis FC advanced in the US Open Cup & will host the Chicago Fire. There were a few players from Sac Republic that rejoined Preki at St Louis FC. One that sticks out to me is Octavio Guzman. He was a solid performer w/ Sac-Town. Suffered an injury from a bad tackle & really didn't regain his form that he had when Sac-Town won the USL in 2014

They are leaps better this year from last. Still some work to do, but considering the amount of changes that the team has undergone Im pretty satisfied.

This is also the now ONLY option for higher level soccer entertainment (our indoor team blows) as the stadium proposal was shut down thanks to ****ing idiot city dwellers not understanding it.

Its unfortunately a hell of a drive for me to make games there so I cant really get there as often as I have no real direct highway route.

thankfully they stream on youtube free and are starting to get local over the air coverage for some games as well.

Ill actually be going to the game vs the fire.

So the first real tests for Arena are coming up. With a truly must get 3 points vs. a solid side in T&T and a truly challenging road test in Mexico. If Arena is better than Klinsmann and that firing did nothing more than placating ignorant masses, we get 4 points. As we should beat T&T and Mexico is possible to draw.

I want to start with what I consider the USMNT best XI.

GK - Doesn't matter. Howard and Guzan are interchangeable parts. Howard is the better big play keeper, Guzan is the more solid keeper but sometimes makes headscratchers. If you want someone to make highlight saves but sometimes be out of position, that's Howard, if you want someone to be in position but sometimes make boneheaded plays, that Guzan. PErsonally I pick Guzan but it's gonna be Howard.
LB - Villafana. While I think Garza could pass him, and I really think this is a position where we are severely lacking in terms of talent and would ideally play FabJo or Chandler here and deal with the absence of a MF or wrong footed LB.
CB - Cameron
CB - Brooks - Thought Brooks may not be fit, if that's the case it's Gonzalez, though I'm tempted to go with Hedges to see what he has, Gonzalez and Brooks are relatively similar styles of play so it's a clean swap.
RB - Yedlin - One of the easiest roster decisions. Yedlin is your RB. Pulisic and Cameron have questions about where they would be the best for your team, Yedlin is slotted in.
LM - Pulisic
CM - BRadley
CM - Nagbe
RM - FabJo - Midfield overall is basically taking the 4 best players you have.
ST - Wood
ST - Jozy

Now I'm sure someone will rail on me for not picking Dempsey, and that's fine. But first Jozy has to play, he kills T&T. He's the US's all time leading scorer vs. them. Not to mention that in MLS Jozy has been muhc better for TFC than Dempsey has been for Seattle. THen it comes to Wood vs. Dempsey. FOr me while Dempsey is a legend, there's no doubt in my mind that Bobby Wood is the better player right now. I would sub Dempsey on for one of them. The threat of Dempsey off the bench is immeasurable. The only other way I see Dempsey playing is in place of Nagbe, but then he'd occupy the role that Pulisic has right now, and I don't want that as Pulisic is in the discussion for the USMNT's best player for club and country (with Brooks, Wood, and FabJo)

There is a scenario where I can see the US playing Dempsey and it not hurting the team. it's basically going with a 4-2-4 backline of Fabjo, Brooks, Cameron, Yedlin, MF of Bradley and Dax RW of Wood, LW Pulisic, and Jozy and Dempsey starting, but it would leave some huge gaps in the defense and really force Yedlin and Johnson to be at their peak levels.

Vs. Mexico though I do things differently.

GK - Howard - Here I think is when Howard is better for Guzan, hard road games. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's what I think.
Defense the same unless Brooks or Cameron pickup a yellow and are suspended or are hurt. Then my ideal CB or der goes Gonzalez for Brooks (Gonzalez and Brooks do not pair welll so he can't sub for Cameron, Besler for Cameron (Beteran experience si a thing when you deal with a team like Mexico) and Hedges and Gonzalez and pray if they both can't go.
CDM - Acosta
CM - Bradley
CM - Nagbe/Bedoya (really depends on if you want goals or defense, I'm not sure, I'd probably pick Deboya though and then bring Nagbe on for Bradley or Acosta and move Bradley back.
LW - Pulisic
ST - Dempsey
RW - Wood

Where this leaves you is Dempsey up top frustrating Mexico's CBs, maybe drawing some cards, winning some FKs, etc. Jozy isn't very good at that game and he tends to lash out. Mexico is gonna take it to the US strikers and this is where a vet like Dempsey could shine and get calls that Jozy or Wood would not. When Dempsey tires out you bring on Jozy to face a tired mexican back line and Jozy runs all over them. Downside is it forces Wood off the striking position but with the way the midfield is aligned he'd stay pretty far forward overall.

The difference between T&T and Mexico is that T&T will not pose half the build up threat. WIth Mexico you'll need 2 CDMs on that field to clog up lanes.

How is Salcedo on the field still?

Yep, Mexico could have easily been given TWO straight reds in the first three minutes of the game.. and should have been given two straight reds.

Ref doesn't have the balls being in Azteca. Didn't even give a yellow for the HORRIBLE Chicharrito flop in the box trying to draw a penalty. I can't wait for them to start retroactively giving yellows to players after watching replay of games in the future. Worst part of the sport.

Still a fun and exciting game.

I won't lie...I am very happy w/ that point - I could have sworn I heard Angels sing when Bradley scored from 40 out :D

I wasn't happy with the point. White the reffing was bad, in terms of play we were outclassed.

I guess it's the reverse though, we didn't deserve to lose to mexico in November, we should have won or drew. And we didn't deserve a point. Seriously we had like 2 real chances and one of them was Bradley making the play of his career.

Looking at the US 23 man roster for the Gold Cup, a few things kind of stick out.

First, why bother bringing in players who play for the Senior squad regularly like omar, Villafana, etc.

But I am excited that Rowe finally got a callup. I've thought he's been one of the more underrated players in MLS for sometime.

The Bradley goal was world class, it really was. Love the USA! Greatest fans evah! Great to see Beasley, he used to play his soccer in Glasgow :)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpfauY7frrI[/ame]

Looking at the US 23 man roster for the Gold Cup, a few things kind of stick out.

First, why bother bringing in players who play for the Senior squad regularly like omar, Villafana, etc.

But I am excited that Rowe finally got a callup. I've thought he's been one of the more underrated players in MLS for sometime.

I hope Matt Miagza can get some run & have a productive tournament.

I hope he goes with Miazga and Hedges for the CB pairing.

Infact this would be my main lineup.

GK - Johnson
RB - Lichaj
CB - Miazga
CB - Hedges
LB - Acosta
LM - Salef
CM - Rowe
CM - Roldan
RM - Zardes
ST - Agudelo
ST - Dwyer

Introducing Henry Romero

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGVLA4ntVg0[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmaMRLMKHFs[/ame]

"My girl is mad at me. She’s mad at me, she’s mad at Romero. She’s like ‘Only I can bite u, only I can grab your nipples.’"
-well played, Jozy

Chelsea defeated the gooners 3-0 in a friendly match played in Beijing. Now the #WengerOut hashtag is trending on twitter :D

The first 20 minutes of the PSG/Spurs ICC match has me worried about our defensive depth. Walker-Peters and Carter-Vickers were horrid. The second half with more seasoned players was much better. Trippier looked decent, so did Wimmer. And Toby is Toby. Although with Trapp's horrible performance and straight red early in the second half, woulda been frustrating to NOT win as we did.

Dembele and Dier are f***ing gods.

Also Neymar to PSG for a quarter billion? Wow. Will see if it actually happens.

Not only that, Messi isn't getting any younger, and can't stay in the spotlight forever. Of course PSG isn't China and there's still the chance for UCL silverware. But they're not Barca. Going to China would be the worst thing he could do.

After a day to digest it. The Gold Cup win was unsatisfying. I just was not happy with the play. The result was amazing, but this massively pales in comparison to the 2013 Gold Cup where the only regulars were Landon and Beasley, though Landon was in the process of winning his position back and Beasley was trying a new position. Aside from them the team was basically Eddie Johnson and Onyewu attempting to prove they have quality, and a handful of guys trying to earn their spot with some talent like Beckerman, Wondo, Mix, Besler, Gonzalez, etc.

This squad was much more first team talented. Again established first teamers from that GC roster were Beasley and Landon, that's it. Others became established like Bedoya, Beckerman, and Besler, but overall they weren't the first team picks. In the final we had Bradley, Acosta, Gonzalez, Arriola, Jozy, Nagbe, Zusi, Howard, Besler, Dempsey, Dax, Morris, and Hedges who were all on the roster for both the Final and our last WCQ. You can't call it a B team when you have so many players carrying over. If you count Guzan going home it would make 14 out of 24 players on the CONCACAF Gold Cup final roster who were also on our most recent WCQ. Add in that Villafana has been the first choice LB and it's 15 out of 24. To me the results just weren't good enough. No one aside from Rowe to me made a significant stock move up. If anything some of our young (or youngish) promising guys like Acosta, Hedges, and Villafana likely saw some stock drop. I honestly can't imagine Acosta partnering with Bradley after watching the massive improvement the team had with Bradley and Nagbe in the middle.

our last sub whos name i cant remember... guy has some SERIOUS speed. had the bleached braids. dempsy is devastating as a setup guy.

altidor if he whined less and played harder would be world class... seriously you outweigh your opponents by 50lbs... stop crying about fouls.

Sadly the world of soccer if you don't cry you don't get calls. Dempsey is probably the best example of that.

Gyasi was the fast sub, he's athletically gifted but kind of technically inept.

Well that was deflating after a 10 hr drive. At least I got to see the boys again and our section was standing and in full song for 90 minutes.

Woulda be nice if Spurs had bothered to show up, horrific officiating aside. Dismal show.

USMNT Roster announced

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; WCQ Caps/Goals)
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 14/0), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids; 36/0), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (9): DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo; 34/6), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City; 11/1), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/ENG; 22/2), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca/MEX; 15/0), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas; 0/0), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 0/0), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 5/0), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 3/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City; 18/3)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; 4/0), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 3/1), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union; 9/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 35/7), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 16/1), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers; 7/0), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 9/5), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 0/0)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 38/16), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC; 39/18), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 3/0), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Bobby Wood (Hamburg/GER; 10/4)

Aside from a surprise in Roldan it's not a shockign roster. I don't get the purpose of bringing Wondo, Rimando, and beasley around, they're all old and not likely to contribute to much of anything. Also picking Zusi over Chandler is a mind****.

Given that Arena is unlikely to consider something fun like a 3-4-3 I'm hoping the lineups for the outfield are

LB - Villafana
CB - Cameron
CB - Gonzalez
RB - Lichaj
RM - Fabjo
CM - Bradley
CM - Nagbe
LM - Pulisic
ST - Jozy
ST - Wood

It would almost play into a 4-1-4-2 with Fabian running the wing play and Pulisic and Nagbe being more focused on attack.

did anyone see this horrid tackle by the Uruguayan chupacabra in the match vs Argentina the other day?
43C4933700000578-4841944-image-a-9_1504227459532.jpg
Otamendi is lucky not to be injured on that play.

Arena needs to go. I know he won't because we can't fire another coach during this cycle but he was outclassed the last 2 matches and that's unexceptable. These 2 games were much worse results than the 2 losses that cost Jurgen his job. And I see a tactical regression. It's old school US game, which isn't what we should be doing. We shouldn't be playing route 1 ball all game.

Back