The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Horrible first half ...... I have tickets to the UMSNT vs Bolivia on Saturday.

I would say horrible first 25 minutes. Once the back line settled in things improved. US looked much better when Beckerman left the game. And even better when Wood moved more centrally. Wood's so on right now I think he has to be the 9. Clint is the talisman for the USMNT, but maybe modify the formation a bit. Like a 4-3-3 attacking. Have the same general starters but pull out Beckerman and have Dempsey basically be a support striker in the middle.

Downside is that it removes the ability for Nagbe to play that role, but the upside is that it gives Dempsey more ability to be in the middle getting the ball and moving it around and playing off of Wood, Zusi and Zardes. But it keeps someone up top challenging the centerbacks.

I also think Pulisic did really well and may wind up pushing Zardes who played well aside from that horrific first touch on what should have been a goal. Zusi is a horse. He puts in shifts and makes things happen, tons of value in that.

After the start of the game, Brooks really settled in, BIrnbaum as well. Yedlin did quite well against Jefferson Montero, and Fabian wasn't seemingly challenged much and when Nagbe came in he really was effective coming up the flank and connecting with him and Bradley.

There's a lot of good to take out of this game, and realize we did it against a really good team.

And I am glad Jurgen has Acosta in camp if Beckerman did pick up a knock as was hinted by the broadcast crew. I wanted him on the roster over Beckerman anyway.

Both teams were largely healthy and fit for the game. US was missing Cameron, Ecuador was missing Antonio Valencia. But it was a good trial for BIrnbaum who overall did pretty well. JK can't be mad at how anyone played really. Especially considering Ecuador is a better team than us typically. Last time we played them we lost, this time we out played them and won.

First half was rough overall but the defense and Guzan got the job done when they needed to and eventually things settled down and the US was the better team for the last 15 or so minutes of the half. Second half arguably the perfect half. It was exactly the kind of game Klinsmann has wanted the USMNT to play. Proactive and possessive.

Christian Pulisic is the Brightest & Best US prospect I have ever seen - If he can keep this up, he will surpass Landon Donovan's start of his career
Christian-Pulisic.jpg

Generally speaking I agree with your assessment hippo, though I'm not so sold on the 4-3-3 I could see it working well with Nagbe at the top of the midfield as CAM. I have to say John Brooks deserves a round of applause for tonight though, he's vastly improved from the last time we saw him. Brad Guzan looked positively sharp, being freed from the stress of the Aston Villa nuclear fire seems to have improved his game 100%; if I were him and I can pull off a good tournament, I'd look to get as far away from AV as possible because it seems to be hurting even his national team form when he's mid season.

As far as the possible injury to Beckerman, Klinsmann can pull someone else in at this stage of preparation for the Copa America from the 40 man roster; assuming he replaces a midfielder for a midfielder that means some interesting, mostly attacking pieces could come through,Mix Diskerud, Danny Williams, Alfredo Morales or Lee Nguyen. Personally, while I like Mix he doesn't seem to be getting his head in the right place with MLS megaclub NYCFC, I'd rather see Danny Williams make the cut.

Surprising news out of Houston, Owen Coyle and the Houston Dynamo have "parted ways"; the official statement says because Owen Coyle wanted to move back to England to be closer to his family, but I suspect it has a lot more to do with their abysmal form since he took over from Dominic Kinnear. My suspicions are even stronger given that assistant coach Sandy Stewart has departed as well. Coyle's bizarre decision to not get much use out of designated player Erick "Cubo" Torres has to be a big factor here but I think it could be overlooked if it got results. It's possible Coyle has also found a new, better job in England...but who would look at the Dynamo's situation and say "Yeah, we want that guy coaching us"? Midseason sackings are rare in MLS, in no small part because teams with a more solid coaching situation tend to do better, so this is a bit of an unusual situation in MLS. A few possible replacements jump to mind though:

Mike Petke
Top of the list is probably Mike Petke, after being chased out of his job by Jesse Marsch, Petke has been an analyst for the tiny "One World Sports" network that mostly gets all of the leftover soccer scraps that the big sports networks don't want. Petke's hard-nosed, no nonsense approach could work well in Houston, where money is too tight for anything other than results.

Jason Kreis
A lot of Houston fans (other than celebrating Coyle's departure) shouted for Jason Kreis and it's true that his name should be near or at the top of the list...but that doesn't mean Kreis wants the job. My suspicion is that Kreis is waiting for the "right" coaching offer to come along and going back to a western conference minnow doesn't advance his career much for a guy with ambitions to be coaching top flight footy in Europe. If he does take the job, it would be a major coup for Houston as some suspect the Sounders could be a likely landing for Kreis next season assuming Sigi Schmid is gone.

The Crappy Ones
Frank Klopas and Frank Yallop are still floating around, both of whom are coaches of a similar sort of staid, defensive style. Their teams are ugly to look at and they suck, but you know, they have MLS experience.

Look to Europe
Both of the franchise's coaches in their history have been foreign-born, it wouldn't be that crazy for Houston to continue to try to tap the foreign markets for a coach and I would say it's worth it for MLS teams to try from time to time, some of them do work out. But maybe Houston shouldn't try to go to the same well right now.

Brian Ching
The former Houston Dynamo legend is currently what could best be described as "general manager" of the Houston Dash, the Dynamo's women's team sister organization. It's possible they could tap the local boy for coach, if nothing else as a means of improving their image in Houston.

Let It Ride
It's not entirely true that Houston's season is done just yet...but it's pretty close, they're 9 points out of the closest playoff spot, which in the tightly contested western conference is a bigger hill to climb than you might think. Letting it ride would be suicide for the season, but it would give them a top draft pick and would let them fully evaluate their options, the three remaining assistant coaches are coaching by committee right now according to their statement, but you could probably designate one of them interim coach and give them a chance to turn it out around without it being a big loss.

So I'm gonna just put this out there, guessing what Jurgen should do given health of players and whatnot for when we face Columbia

I'm thinking of a 4-2-3-1

GK - Guzan
RB - Yedlin
CB - Brooks
CB - Cameron
LB - Johnson
CDM - Bradley
CDM - Jones (though I'd probably rather see Kitchen win this job, he hasn't really seemingly succeeded at that yet)
RAM - Bedoya/Zusi
CAM - Dempsey
LAM - Zardes/Pulisic
ST - Wood

I put the slashes in it because for me Zusi and Zardes get another game to protect their spots. If they fail and their subs come on and outclass them, then they should be replaced.

Eh, no. Dempsey at CAM in MLS has been underwhelming, to say the least; really he's done his best work of the season while ignoring his supposed position and playing as a striker (the Sounders have basically been running a 4-2-4). Dempsey does his best work as an underneath striker, he's done well (at times) playing on the left. Personally I'd put Nagbe in at CAM in a 4-3-3 with Wood in center, Dempsey on the left and Zusi on the right. Pulisic would be an offensive sub while Kitchen or Beckerman would be a defensive sub. Otherwise I like the lineup.

I feel like our best performances over the Klinsmann era have come when he used the diamond midfield & 2 strikers. Obviously the players in form & available have changed, but I think i'd like to see it tried again for a run of games.

Timmy Chandler is a scratch apparently as his quadriceps strain is too severe for him to play, Edgar Castillo is his replacement.

Timmy Chandler Out

I can't say I'm particularly sad to see Chandler go, sometimes he's brilliant but sometimes he's terrible.

I just checked out a Documentary of Nottingham Forest called, "I believe in Miracles". I came away w/ two things after watching that movie. First, How did England not appoint Brian Clough as their gaffer? I am sure this guy is the Best Gaffer that England has ever witnessed
I-BELIEVE-IN-MIRACLES-Documentary.jpg

Secondly, IMHO Mourinho is trying to emulate him. I know of a skinny chicken fan that wouldn't like the style that Clough was using. Build a strong defense & have an effective counter-attacking scheme.

Great to see the USMNT pick up a win against Bolivia to get them some confidence heading into the Copa America, even if we were/should have been favored to beat that team. Zardes had a truly excellent game, and Bedoya made a strong argument to stay in the starting 11. Nagbe to Pulisic needs to become a thing in the future of the USMNT. My only real gripe is that we gave up a bit too much possession in the first half to Bolivia.

Wish I would have watched the friendly instead of the CL final. Of course I'd planned to watch both, but the CL final literally put me to sleep shortly into the second half. And then too much to do when I woke back up. Oops.

For me, beer and a lack of sleep might mean I wind up taking a little post match early sleep...

Great to see the USMNT pick up a win against Bolivia to get them some confidence heading into the Copa America

Same here - crazy to think that Bradley is the Captain of this team - Great Veteran leadership from both Jones & Deuce, but what really stands out is the Youth. I hate to hear all of the criticism I hear about Nagbe, especially cause he doesn't score goals. IMHO his greatest strength is creating opportunities. Then we have both Zardes & Pulisic on the flanks & getting the job done - I am starting to look forward to June 3rd & I hope Team USA Shocks The World!!!

The week before the Copa America break held plenty of drama in MLS, a few observations:

Toronto Could Be in for a Big Slump
Toronto lost 3-0 to the NYRB Saturday, but of bigger concern was the injury to Sebastian Giovinco. The Italian striker came off early in the match and apparently suffered some sort of adductor injury, which no doubt added to the woes of the Canadian powerhouse team against New York. Giovinco's injury looks to be light, but if it's not it could be a perfect storm of problems for the reds. USMNT striker Jozy Altidore is supposed to be out until late June or early July and depending on how team USA do in the Copa America Michael Bradley may be out until July, if Giovinco can't get back by Toronto's next game on June 18th the team could struggle without their three biggest stars. There may bigger, long term concerns about Altidore too, in 8 games played and 6 starts the usually prolific striker has 0 goals and 2 assists; last year Jozy scored 13 for the Reds and was a big part of their first ever playoff season. For the Red Bulls it seems everything is golden though, they've scored 10 goals in the last 2 games and are back towards the top of the east.

Can Houston Save Their Season?
Houston fired Owen Coyle this week, though technically they announced that the team and the coach mutually parted...it's hard to not see it as a sacking, particularly given the second in command also left. With Coyle out Houston may bring in a new coach to try to salvage their season...but can it be salvaged? Houston has the second lowest point total in the league at 12 in 13 games and the lowest points per game (PPG) at 0.92 (second worse is the Chicago Fire, who have 12 in 12 games...). There's still roughly 2/3rds of the season to be played, but it's hard to see Houston digging their way out of this hole even if Jose Mourinho was hired tomorrow; despite Coyle trying to instill a more attack-minded style in the team they've shown precious little tendency to score aside from an early season spike and the only man who legitimately scares defenses is sitting on the bench. Houston tied 1-1 against Vancouver, but a tie at home is nothing to celebrate, especially given that Vancouver looked the better team for much of the match. Personally, I don't think there is a way to save this season, but if Houston is going to try they need to make changes immediately during the Copa America break.

Speaking of Chicago, How's that Rebuild Coming?
A lot of hype surrounded the new coach and "new look" of the Chicago Fire this year, after having a good draft and selling off some high priced/overpriced players to other clubs the Fire seemed to be on track to build again from the ground up. But so far, the rebuilding effort has seemed to be more of the same, the Fire have had their worst start in club history while playing ugly and quite frankly unattractive soccer. The Fire haven't won a road game since 2014! (Holy crap that is so very bad, even blind dumb luck should have let them win at least one in 2015!) The longest streak without a road win in MLS history. A tie against the champion Timbers gave them a point this week, but a tie at home is nothing to cheer about, especially since the Timbers are struggling themselves. The Chicago Fire appear to be still stuck sliding down a hill and it's hard to see how they can get things into gear.

I just checked out a Documentary of Nottingham Forest called, "I believe in Miracles". I came away w/ two things after watching that movie. First, How did England not appoint Brian Clough as their gaffer? I am sure this guy is the Best Gaffer that England has ever witnessed
I-BELIEVE-IN-MIRACLES-Documentary.jpg

Secondly, IMHO Mourinho is trying to emulate him. I know of a skinny chicken fan that wouldn't like the style that Clough was using. Build a strong defense & have an effective counter-attacking scheme.

I loved Clough, and count myself lucky to be old enough to remember what an absolute dick he was :) He ruffled way too many feathers for the FA to make him England boss and it would never have worked either, back in those days the England manager didn't even get to pick his own players ...

Good news for the USMNT, Costa Rica's top keeper will be out for the Copa America. Apparently he injured himself while playing for Real Madrid in the Champions League finale.

Also, a rumor of note: Galatasaray may be trying to get Gyasi Zardes:

Zardes Rumor

If true, Galatasaray would certainly be a step up and could be a great stepping stone for the young player into Europe.

Is it a step up though? it's not like they're going to be playing in Europe. I guess it would be cool for him to go there and try to learn some things from Lukas Podolski, but I can't imagine it being (at least next year) a massive boom in talent. I'm a little shocked he isn't getting some interest from Germany given his industrial capabilities.

Turkey is where a good deal of talent used to go as they left the Premier League. I would much rather see Zardes play in the Netherlands where there is a competitive dynamic amongst youth focusing on development than Turkey.

I wouldn't say it's a huge step up, but I do think it would get more European eyeballs on Zardes. It would have been better if it was last year when they were in the Champions League, but if they can make it back to the top this season then in one and a half years he could be playing in the top club tournament in the world, which certainly gets European scouts to look at you (if nothing else so they can counter you). I'd personally like to see him somewhere in Europe proper, but Turkey is a lot shorter plane trip than LA is and at least he might start for Galatasaray.

A disappointing loss for the USMNT, 0-2 to Colombia...but it's not all bad. I felt the USMNT deserved a draw in the game, and were it not for a fluky penalty the game would have ended 0-1, not bad against the team ranked #3 by FIFA.

That Penalty Call Sucks
The Fox "rules expert" can say whatever he likes and so can resident blowhard Alexi Lalas, but that was a bad penalty call. The deflection barely influenced the play and even if it had, there's little else Yedlin could have done. 9/10 of the time in any league in the world, that isn't called.

The USMNT Maybe Found Their Offense
Klinsman has been preaching offensive soccer for years and the USMNT may have finally found it, with Bradley in a traditional CDM role with Jones and Bedoya as two way midfielders in a 4-3-3 the USMNT looked downright dangerous at times and kept the majority of possession in the first half. This should be the plan against both Costa Rica and Paraguay, who will likely look to defend and counter even more than Colombia did.

Despite the Initial Corner Kick Goal, This Should Be the Back Line
Yes, Cameron lost his man on that corner kick, but that shouldn't discourage the USMNT from this back line! Cameron and Brooks looked absolutely great together and Yedlin should be the #1 man at right back for the foreseeable future. The only weak link was Fabian Johnson, who normally plays as a LAM for his club, but even he only struggled because Colombia has such a great and fast right winger.

Overall, there's a lot of positives to take from this, and it's not over by a long shot. If Colombia and Paraguay tie, all team USA has to do is beat both of them to get to the next round.

That Penalty Call Sucks
The Fox "rules expert" can say whatever he likes and so can resident blowhard Alexi Lalas, but that was a bad penalty call. The deflection barely influenced the play and even if it had, there's little else Yedlin could have done. 9/10 of the time in any league in the world, that isn't called.

sorry but that was a legit call - it was a handball - also there was a pretty good pk shout by the US in the first half when Wood was taken down in the box

Overall, there's a lot of positives to take from this, and it's not over by a long shot. If Colombia and Paraguay tie, all team USA has to do is beat both of them to get to the next round.

What I am grateful for is that Colombia won only 2-0 & not by more - IMHO The Yanks looked clueless & lost - also way too much passing backwards - The US players can't make precise enough passes & it's easy for a give-away to happen - hoping for a better result in the next match, but right now we are looking at 3 & out :(

Unlucky and harsh, but legit is what I'd call the penalty. He did get with his arm, and it wasn't the most natural of positions. Definitely the make up call type though, and I agree, in any normal league type scenario, no penalty. Missed the second half as I needed to be asleep to be at the airport at dumb 30 o'clock this morning. But I'd seen all I needed.

I'm more upset at Yedlin for putting himself in a position to concede a handball. Just keep your arms down, feet grounded, and face the ball.

By the letter of the law, that handball was not a penalty. According to FIFA's own rules it has to "deliberate", I know we and the refs like to use little clues to call it deliberate, but "making yourself bigger" is not against the rules of the game; I don't think there's anything deliberate in Yedlin's actions there.

I don't know how people can see this result as being a bad loss. We were facing a top 5, both by FIFA rankings and by ELO rankings, team in Colombia and yet we had a lot of positive possession and 4 (by my count) really good chances to score that were either blocked, saved by the keeper or just a touch off (that Dempsey shot off his left foot was so very very close). Not only that, Colombia was the more physical team and they should have seen more yellow cards. The only other legit chance Colombia had on our goal was that ball off the crossbar. If we can play that way against Costa Rica and Paraguay we'll do just fine in the group stage of the tournament.

By the letter of the law, that handball was not a penalty. According to FIFA's own rules it has to "deliberate", I know we and the refs like to use little clues to call it deliberate, but "making yourself bigger" is not against the rules of the game; I don't think there's anything deliberate in Yedlin's actions there.

I don't know how people can see this result as being a bad loss. We were facing a top 5, both by FIFA rankings and by ELO rankings, team in Colombia and yet we had a lot of positive possession and 4 (by my count) really good chances to score that were either blocked, saved by the keeper or just a touch off (that Dempsey shot off his left foot was so very very close). Not only that, Colombia was the more physical team and they should have seen more yellow cards. The only other legit chance Colombia had on our goal was that ball off the crossbar. If we can play that way against Costa Rica and Paraguay we'll do just fine in the group stage of the tournament.

Making yourself bigger in such a way that the ball strikes your arm when it otherwise wouldn't have IS deliberate. That's why the question of "was that a natural position of the arm" is so important in these calls.

usatsi_9309903.jpg

that picture says it all for me what I felt about the USNMT's performance

Even when we had loads of possession in the first half, it never felt like we were in control. Also I don't think Colombia got out of 2nd gear. As many times their defense came forward, The Yanks did not make them pay for that. IMHO Colombia showed no respects to the US & it showed to me. It was frustrating cause the US is the Host nation & we played like amateurs. I am hoping for the best, but I won't get my hopes up.

A disappointing loss for the USMNT, 0-2 to Colombia...but it's not all bad. I felt the USMNT deserved a draw in the game, and were it not for a fluky penalty the game would have ended 0-1, not bad against the team ranked #3 by FIFA.

That Penalty Call Sucks

The USMNT Maybe Found Their Offense
Klinsman has been preaching offensive soccer for years and the USMNT may have finally found it, with Bradley in a traditional CDM role with Jones and Bedoya as two way midfielders in a 4-3-3 the USMNT looked downright dangerous at times and kept the majority of possession in the first half. This should be the plan against both Costa Rica and Paraguay, who will likely look to defend and counter even more than Colombia did.

Despite the Initial Corner Kick Goal, This Should Be the Back Line
Yes, Cameron lost his man on that corner kick, but that shouldn't discourage the USMNT from this back line! Cameron and Brooks looked absolutely great together and Yedlin should be the #1 man at right back for the foreseeable future. The only weak link was Fabian Johnson, who normally plays as a LAM for his club, but even he only struggled because Colombia has such a great and fast right winger.

1. I understand the penalty call, I also disagree with it. This isn't akin to throwing your arms out and stopping the ball. It to me was part of his natural running and jumping motion. I wouldn't give it, but it's grey area stuff like that, that makes sports frustrating.

2. I don't really disagree, but Jones can't play against a team like Columbia again. He looked terrible because he's not a one touch player. That's where Nagbe would be a better start. Of course it depends on the team and the level of midfield pressure they bring. ALso Bradley cannot play that bad, we're way too reliant on him to have him play that bad.

3. I totally agree on the backline. Cameron ****ed up, and he should feel bad, but he also made several fantastic clearances and headers and many other great plays. Yedlin and Johnson deserve credit for holding Cardona and Cuadrado at bay the whole game. Really strong overall performance from the back line aside from the corner and questionable handball. Which given that COlumbia is a much better team than us. I can live with.

TO add my own. It's fitting that Rodriguez got hurt on a dive. And I was so proud of John BRooks for bitching out Cuadrado. Dude was diving and flopping all day and when Brooks stood over him you could see the "Oh ****" reaction in full effect.

What do you see the USMNT going with? Assuming Dempsey will have to start, here's what I switch to.

Same back 4
CDM -Bradley
CAM - Bedoya
CAM - Nagbe
LW - Dempsey
ST - Wood
RW - Zardes.

Dempsey would basically be a supporting striker as well and Bedoya would help a bit on covering for him.

I'd love to see Nagbe in for Jones, but I feel like Klinsmann might not yet trust him enough. Then again, Jones was supposedly pissed off at Klinsmann for being subbed out, so maybe Jurgen has him chill out a bit.

Klinsmann basically said that there would be some lineup changes. I think Pulisic, Zusi and Nagbe will get starting consideration. As coudl Castillo, given Fabian was just pretty recently hurt.

USA 4-0 Costa Rica​
:mug:
Now that is what I am talking about. None of that passing backwards crap. Moving forward & putting the ball into the back of the net. BTW, the US had the same starting line-up as they did vs Colombia. Even Klinsmann was more animated off the bench & the scoreline showed.

So...I said it in my initial post last time: This is a good starting lineup, who doubts me now? That was a really good win, if the USMNT can do this against Paraguay, we'll cruise into the next round.

Dempsey Was The Key
Dempsey, despite his age, is still the single best offensive player in the USMNT lineup. He doesn't always fit into a single, defined role, but Dempsey is the man; he can shoot, he can provide a good pass, he can do it all.

This Lineup Looked Better with Practice
Part of the improved result was due to more practice, this is the first time that Jurgen Klinsmann has played the same two lineups in two games since the World Cup, and this team looked vastly improved because of it. Their understanding, particularly offensively, was much better.

A Flexible Formation
After going 2-0 up, the USMNT switched almost effortlessly to a 4-4-2, giving them a better defensive shape, which eventually led to Bobby Wood's goal. The fact that this lineup is so flexible is another huge positive, when necessary they can go to a more defensive shape to protect a lead.

This Won't Work Against Better Teams
As much as I love this formation, it quite frankly won't work against a better team like Colombia. This is, I think, the sort of attack minded play that the USMNT should move to if we want to get to a higher level and actually threaten to win a World Cup, but against a top 10 team like Colombia they will outplay our players on talent alone. This is a recipe for exciting soccer, but not necessarily a recipe to pull out unlikely wins against dominant world powers.

Anyone else pumped for Paraguay? I am!

A gritty result today from team USA, but there are some problems on the horizon...

That First Yellow on Yedling Was BS
I agree that the second yellow was legitimate...but the first? Come on now! Either way, Yedlin needs to learn that if you foul someone you cool off...even if it hurts you defensively in the short term, and wait at least 5 minutes before fouling again. The red card means that Michael Orozco, the fairly terrible understudy, is the man vs our next opponent, which will probably be Brazil; not good.

We Advance!
Regardless of anything else, team USA advances! That said, unless Colombia somehow fumble it against Costa Rica or Brazil somehow lose to Peru, the USMNT will face off against Brazil; who we'll probably lose to. Brazil brought their A-/B+ team, but even then they're still formidable, chances are good the USMNT Copa America dreams end next week.

Still, Enjoy It!
Who knows, things may bounce the way of the USA and the home field advantage may work out. Go, go USA!

Back