The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must have missed that...
I was watching the World Cup where they were in 2 different groups and Australia had no wins. Australia beat Germany in a friendly back in 2011 2-1, but I don't think they've played since. Last World Cup, Australia and Germany were in the same group, but Germany won 4-0.

your right i was thinking wrong group they tied ghana after beating down Portugal it was the diving dutch that almost lost to australia after they beat down spain.

Well... that escalated quickly yesterday...

Hope todays game is much more competitive.... it has to be...right?

I'm pulling for Argentina..... with Messi having a great game.... I want to see Germany v Argentina in the finals.

Buddy just this texted to me:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404916782.541464.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen, Jim Ross...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VOJPOWk_ojU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

City Players Beating down Manchester United's Coach

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/M6FA9vXOXKg/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Louis van Gaal better get used to it

City Players Beating down Manchester United's Coach

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/M6FA9vXOXKg/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Louis van Gaal better get used to it

I don't think vine's work here.
Have you decided who you're supporting this season?

The most historic result in WC history, and I missed it due to work :(

Can I assume that chants of "It's like watching Brazil" will have a new meaning in the future? ;)

I'm actually glad they were finally found out to put to bed the myth that they are still a great side. I had always suspected that they fixed the final against France in '98 based mostly on the fact that they played so poorly........Now I have seen that they can do it when they are on their home ground when a win is the only acceptable result.

I don't think vine's work here.
Have you decided who you're supporting this season?

City of course hopefully I can watch some NCFC games. Hopefully City make a run in the Champions League. I'm not a front runner either I root for the Dodgers, Raiders, UCLA, and the LA Kings. Don't be bitter bro maybe you'll finish in the top 4 again. :)

The funny thing was Gervinho was Arsenals best player at the World Cup or I mean former player.

The funny thing was Gervinho was Arsenals best player at the World Cup or I mean former player.

I'm really not even sure what that is supposed to mean, or how it relates to you supporting city this year, or not being a front runner :)confused:).

Wait.....are you a teenager? Cause if so, sorry for picking on you so much.

I root for the Dodgers, Raiders, UCLA, and the LA Kings..

Well for the love of Zeus and all that is holy, why the hell aren't you supporting the Galaxy?!?!?! AARRRGGG it's so frustrating.

Hell, it would be cool if you decided to support whatever Chivas USA rebrand the new owners go with. You live in an MLS city but you support a team that you'll probably never see live....

Well for the love of Zeus and all that is holy, why the hell aren't you supporting the Galaxy?!?!?! AARRRGGG it's so frustrating.

Hell, it would be cool if you decided to support whatever Chivas USA rebrand the new owners go with. You live in an MLS city but you support a team that you'll probably never see live....

I root for the Galaxy & the Clippers also. I miss Beckham though, he could put the ball any where on a dime he was are Andrea Pirlo. Maybe Pirlo will come play for us in a couple years that would be awesome.

I root for the Galaxy & the Clippers also. I miss Beckham though, he could put the ball any where on a dime he was are Andrea Pirlo. Maybe Pirlo will come play for us in a couple years that would be awesome.

Oh. Okay, you're good. :mug:

Sanchez to Arsenal doesn't make too much sense. He's a similar player in position to Podolski, Walcott or if you play him centrally he's more like Ozil except he shoots more. Arsenal would have been better saving up their pennies to attack Radamel Falcao, Edinson Cavani, or if he moved quicker Mario Mandzukic.

Sanchez to Arsenal doesn't make too much sense. He's a similar player in position to Podolski, Walcott or if you play him centrally he's more like Ozil except he shoots more. Arsenal would have been better saving up their pennies to attack Radamel Falcao, Edinson Cavani, or if he moved quicker Mario Mandzukic.

Squad depth maybe?

He's pacey, he can score (something we lagged behind in) and he can assist. Makes perfect sense to me.

He's certainly a great player. An improvement for Arsenal for sure. But JMO they could have gone elsewhere. They need someone to couple with Giroud. Even if it's just a bench player. I would personally think Klose would be a great sub. Shouldn't cost much I think he'd be happy being a frequent sub/occasional starter at his age. Another option could be buying an out of favor ST on the cheap. Fernando Torres comes to mind.

I would like to think that my prayers for Robben getting cleats to both his achilles kept him his usual flopping BS, but I have to give all credit to Pope Frank. Finals Pope Frank against the Nazi Pope. Go Argies.

Vamos, vamos, Argentina,
vamos vamos a ganar...
que esta barra quilombera
no te deja
no te deja de alentar...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE1I6k6oaik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE1I6k6oaik[/ame]

I think he'll be a fabulous signing.
They'll have lots of options at Striker this season. Joel Campbell returning, a bid for Loic Remy is rumored, probably will see Theo Walcott there quite a bit once he is fit, and there is always the option of playing Alexis as a #9.

We finally look to be getting the squad depth we so badly needed last year.

It's a long season with a lot of games... adding Sanchez was a very good move for Arsenal...he certainly makes their squad better and should be a regular starter.

as usual, it always comes down to this quote.....

Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win.

Gary Lineker

(I will be rooting for this not to happen..:mug:)

as usual, it always comes down to this quote.....

Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win.

Gary Lineker

(I will be rooting for this not to happen..:mug:)

I'm conflicted.

The number of Arsenal players on Die Mannschaft has me rooting for them, but I really like Messi as a footballer and think he deserves a world cup so....

The rational part of me says it doesn't matter. Germany have too many weapons.

I'm conflicted.

The number of Arsenal players on Die Mannschaft has me rooting for them, but I really like Messi as a footballer and think he deserves a world cup so....

The rational part of me says it doesn't matter. Germany have too many weapons.

Hope you're right!

Game analysis:

Germany Players To Watch
Thomas Müller: The new, weird-looking face of German soccer

Manuel Neuer: Neuer will be looking to bounce back after being the only German player not to register a goal against Brazil in the semifinal

Miroslav Klose: At 36 years old, Klose will have to run purely on adrenaline to get through the last 80 or so minutes of the match

Philipp Lahm: Arguably the best holding midfielder in the world, Lahm will undoubtedly be one of the 11 most dangerous players on the field for Germany

Argentina Players To Watch
Lionel Messi: Based on his YouTube highlights, expect Messi to dribble through the entire German team and score a goal every time he gets the bal

Javier Mascherano: Mascherano will need to be incredibly disciplined while marking the blurry German players coming in and out of focus in front of him

Sergio Agüero: The 26-year-old forward demonstrates amazing balance and poise whenever being carted off the field

Ángel di María: He’s not Lionel Messi, so he isn’t important

Another game where I hope both teams lose 6-0.

I won't know who I want to win until the first goal is scored and I see how I feel about it.

Seems like a good way of going about it.

I think I might root ever so slightly for the Dutch. The Brazilian shaming online has been pretty damn funny.

Seems like a good way of going about it.

I think I might root ever so slightly for the Dutch. The Brazilian shaming online has been pretty damn funny.

I was talking about the final. The 3/4 place tie I want the Dutch to win.

Southampton have a new Dutch coach in Ronald Koeman, and there is a possibility that there is a signing or two for us in the Dutch team. He seems to be signing players he knows well so far. Pelle and Tadic, both from the Dutch league.

Ugh... sadly it is WOrld Cup final day.... meaning, after today, we have another four years until this glorious madness....

Good news.... qualifying is never that far away...

Hope today is a great game.... rooting for Argentina, but hard to imagine them getting past the German machine.

Back