The hopefully not obnoxious wood fired brick oven build thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have to use some type of special mortar between the bricks, or is the heat-insulating stuff over and done with?

There hasn't been much progress on the oven, I got shanghaied by SWMBO into a bathroom project. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402858770.524740.jpg

We had a small bathroom and a very small bedroom next to it. I built a new walk down the middle of that small bedroom and turned one half into a walk in closet. Then I tore down the existing bathroom wall and enlarged the bathroom. But that involved tearing up the floor to move the plumbing. I'm no plumber but it all works and no leaks. So finishing that will be the priority. I'll still work on the oven but progress will be somewhat slower.

I DID get something done on the oven project, yesterday I bought myself a wet saw. I got a 10" Harbor Freight saw for a good price. I know HF stuff is mostly junk but it doesn't need to last a lifetime, just a summer.

I bought a cheapo 6" (?) Harbor Freight wet tile saw for a tile job a decade ago. 2 bathrooms, a dining room, foyer, fireplace surround, backsplash, and countertop, and it's still functioning. No shame in that.

You should change the name of this thread to "Hey Everyone - Check Out The Random, Not-Interesting-In-Any-Way, Sht I Did Today"..

Either that or just get it over with and get a Facebook page.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew because it impresses people

It's a good thing this thread is already designated as Not Obnoxious or I might say something like "I hope you have a stroke," and that would be obnoxious.

Hey, you should come diving with us this weekend, we can find a nice deep spot and practice Emergency Out of Air drills. That would be fun.

I would hate to have to use that bathroom.

.... well... if you did, I know a great thread you could post the whole experience to.

Paul... What's on the old agenda for today?? (Please say getting the truck washed! please say getting the truck washed!).

The suspense is killllllllllling me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew because it impresses people

I LOVE my brick saw! It turned what could have been a day filled with agony, smashed fingers and miners lung into a walk in the park. At least it did once I made a half dozen trips to the hardware store to buy the various nuts, bolts and tubes the carton was missing.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403114379.283931.jpg

I got the floor all cut out and looking great. The secret to cutting a circle with a saw is to just slice off very small tangental cuts.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403114568.412999.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403114615.869196.jpg

Stopped for lunch, when I get back I'll start mortaring down the soldier first course.

Lookin good!!

Gotta love the HF special. That's why they are so cheap, they missing half the hardware ha!

I do love their stuff tho. Worth it to me !

Sent from myPhone

I could say that the mortar was getting tough to work. And I could say that I wasn't sure I had enough mortar to finish the course. And I could say that the grass was so long that you could lose a small child in the back yard and I needed to mow before people started pointing fingers.

And all of that is true. But mostly the heat kicked my ass and I stopped after mortaring in one half of the first course. That is harder than it looks!

After I mowed and had a few beers I went back over to the oven and tried to figure out the angles for the bevels. I think I'm pretty close. I don't know if I'll try to cut angles for the arch, I may just use wedges to set the arch then backfill the wedges later.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403131214.308966.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403131240.734824.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403131266.404920.jpg

They are fabric pots. They allow air flow which leads to air pruning. The root will actually stop near the edge and send out side shoots instead of just coiling around the pot like in plastic containers. This maximizes container space. I think they are called geo pots.

GeoPot

geopot_blackHandles_edit.png

Sub'd for inspiration. Just got a KettlePizza attachment for my Weber kettle to hold me over for a couple of years until I can build a brick pizza oven.

I haven't had much of a chance to work on the oven, my Dad had a small stroke last week and I've been running back and forth to the north shore since then. However, he's doing very well, he got out of rehab this moring and I drove him home to Mom. My sisters and I will be staying over with him and my mother for the next few nights just to keep my mothers anxiety level in check.

Oven progress will recomence soon.

Looking good so far! make sure you get that dome height and door opening correct.

Other than homebrewing pizza making is my other hobby. I been wanting to build a brick oven but funds havn't allowed that just yet. For now I am slumming it on a blackstone pizza oven, which I can get very very very close to wood fired ovens.

Let me know if you want any recipe input for your Neapolitan style pizza! I am sure you're already working on it though.

PS -- good get well vibes for your Dad

I haven't had much of a chance to work on the oven, my Dad had a small stroke last week and I've been running back and forth to the north shore since then. However, he's doing very well, he got out of rehab this moring and I drove him home to Mom. My sisters and I will be staying over with him and my mother for the next few nights just to keep my mothers anxiety level in check.

Oven progress will recomence soon.

We're all pulling for your pops and full recovery.

Back