Cream Ale The Honey Cream Ale Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drinkerbell

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going in. (AKA: My first post)
Still a newbie, and haven't got a handle on water quantities yet, but I smelled a honey malt and immediately had to turn it into a cream ale.
Going from a mish-mash of recipes and opinions, but here's what I'm going with:

(1-Gallon BIAB)

1# Marris Otter
.5# Honey Malt
.25# Flaked Corn

Hallertau Hops
Safale S-05

Wish me luck!
(Should I have added Nekkid Oats?)
Will report back - unless it's embarassingly bad.

Good luck but you probably should have waited until this was brewed and evaluated before posting here. This is the recipe database for tried and true recipes.

Report back. A little honey malt is said to go a long way. I’ve used it at 5% and liked it but never at almost 30% like you are.

So to follow up...
The beer came out pretty good. I'm going to try again with 2-row and some rice. The MO gives it a strange finish.

Attachments

• Honey Cream Ale.jpg
    Honey Cream Ale.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 0
So to follow up...
The beer came out pretty good. I'm going to try again with 2-row and some rice. The MO gives it a strange finish.
Probably not the MO - which is just an English variety of barley kilned to to about 3.5 Lovi.

It's probably the Honey Malt which is Gambrinus' version of Melanoidin malt which is like a very, very, dark Munich and imparts a very strong flavor even in small quantities. Some brewers like it and some don't.

Supposedly, Melanoidin malts impart flavors you would obtain from decoction mashing. However, from my experience, I have not found this to be accurate as while it does have a distinctive flavor, it does not provide the amazing flavor profile found in two beers that are triple decocted - Pilsner Urquell and Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Probably not the MO - which is just an English variety of barley kilned to to about 3.5 Lovi.

It's probably the Honey Malt which is Gambrinus' version of Melanoidin malt which is like a very, very, dark Munich and imparts a very strong flavor even in small quantities. Some brewers like it and some don't.

Supposedly, Melanoidin malts impart flavors you would obtain from decoction mashing. However, from my experience, I have not found this to be accurate as while it does have a distinctive flavor, it does not provide the amazing flavor profile found in two beers that are triple decocted - Pilsner Urquell and Sam Adams Boston Lager.
Thanks! I'll try different hops to more closely match Genesee Cream clone.
One gallon batches - both a blessing and a curse.

Back