The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some leftover smoked pork shoulder that I smoked this weekend so I went the BBQ route again and made a pie out of it. Turned out pretty fantastic

Thats my go to with left over pork shoulder. Love the cheddar. Did you grill the pizza?

Thats my go to with left over pork shoulder. Love the cheddar. Did you grill the pizza?

No. I was going to. I thought about it at least haha. This dough recipe I've been using seems to perform better in the oven. I don't think it's the dough fault though. I think my grill just isn't shaped right so it tends to get kinda chewy or kinda burnt. Great grill for grilling meat, not so much for the pizza

No. I was going to. I thought about it at least haha. This dough recipe I've been using seems to perform better in the oven. I don't think it's the dough fault though. I think my grill just isn't shaped right so it tends to get kinda chewy or kinda burnt. Great grill for grilling meat, not so much for the pizza

I miss grilled pizza, its our camping main dinner. Not that you asked but i throw the dough on and par cook the bottom. Then i flip it and sauce and cheese the half cooked side on the grill. My steel got super hot on grill, but didnt have oven effect, so bottom burned before top was done. There are some work arounds for this, but dough straight on makes a nice pie.

We had family come over for brunch today so I decided to show off my pizza and beer making skills. There were toddlers and preschoolers present so we had to go kid friendly yet refined. Went with a breakfast pizza with home smoked bacon and scrambled eggs (learned from watching Gordon Ramsay) and a margherita pizza with homemade marinara turned out fantastic

View attachment 1502660799236.jpg

View attachment 1502660805734.jpg

We had family come over for brunch today so I decided to show off my pizza and beer making skills. There were toddlers and preschoolers present so we had to go kid friendly yet refined. Went with a breakfast pizza with home smoked bacon and scrambled eggs (learned from watching Gordon Ramsay) and a margherita pizza with homemade marinara turned out fantastic

Can never go wrong with cheese fresh tomato and basil!

chorizo, salami, capers, mozarella, san marzano tomato sauce. Can recommend capers on pizza . The dough was frozen from previous batches and was still a little cold. Mozzarella was also defrosted

msCZm3Q.jpg

Bqn7ST0.jpg

HasFI4K.jpg

GMnxq0Z.jpg

Za night tonight
Got 3 doughballs, 4 days old
Pulling them out for one more push
I made a 50g/50g poolish with 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast 5 days ago, then add another 500g 00flour etc. Used cool water in main dough and cold bulk fermented for a day. Then punched it down and balled and cold fermented, aside from a small push today and yesterday.
This will be the oldest dough I've ever used at home.
My hope is that it develops more complex flavor and finer cell structure with the slower ferment.
Just hoping I didn't underpitch and it ceases rising.

View attachment 1503157106199.jpg

Oh man jwin cant wait to see the results.

Put a pep on a doughball for scale.
Went super thin with NY street style double bake. Came out nice and crispy. I really enjoyed the dough/crust. Definitely going to continue doing the small poolish into an extended ferment when I have the luxury. I may double the poolish next time(5% of the flour to 10%) to see the flavor difference. I'll decrease the yeast a tad to make sure I can still do the 5+ day ferment. I don't think I could go any higher than 10% and still have the long ferment times. I've done 20% poolish and there's no way it could get past 3 days. Fairly confident this dough could have gone up to 7 days.
The crumb/cell structure was fantastic. On thin, it's hard to see but was well developed with a minimal gel layer(goo between the baked dough and sauce).

View attachment 1503191932412.jpg

View attachment 1503191946921.jpg

View attachment 1503191957042.jpg

View attachment 1503191969038.jpg

View attachment 1503191982050.jpg

View attachment 1503191994491.jpg

View attachment 1503192012870.jpg

View attachment 1503192024071.jpg

About a month ago, the BigHair went lo carb, so I went too

we're reduced to this... Pizza Quik on lo carb tortillas

But after not having pizza for a month, that was the best GD pizza EVER!

No pics. The shame of it

I'm calling dibs on being the resident thread BBQ pizza guy. Made two pizzas. Both the same. Smoked pork (put it in the smoker at 6am today) with BBQ sauce, black beans, onions, olives and cilantro. Realized afterward that normally I use shredded cheddar but the mozz worked just fine.

The one on the white cutting board was a 4 day cold ferment with multiple punch downs (is that a thing? Haha) and the one on the blue board is a 1 day ferment. 4 day had better cell structure and a little more flavor but the 1 day seemed to get better rise in the oven

View attachment 1503286654216.jpg

I'm calling dibs on being the resident thread BBQ pizza guy. Made two pizzas. Both the same. Smoked pork (put it in the smoker at 6am today) with BBQ sauce, black beans, onions, olives and cilantro. Realized afterward that normally I use shredded cheddar but the mozz worked just fine.

The one on the white cutting board was a 4 day cold ferment with multiple punch downs (is that a thing? Haha) and the one on the blue board is a 1 day ferment. 4 day had better cell structure and a little more flavor but the 1 day seemed to get better rise in the oven

I'm guessing the one day still had some fermentation to go thru. The heat hits the yeast they go crazy for a matter of seconds and blast a fart of co2 and create rise that way. Still go for the slow fermentation. More flavor right?
I would rather get the flavor slowly in the fridge and let the rise come from a super hot oven/stone etc. Strictly from steam eliminating into gluten pockets.
However whatever tastes better is the clear winner and I'm just blabbing...

I'm guessing the one day still had some fermentation to go thru. The heat hits the yeast they go crazy for a matter of seconds and blast a fart of co2 and create rise that way. Still go for the slow fermentation. More flavor right?
I would rather get the flavor slowly in the fridge and let the rise come from a super hot oven/stone etc. Strictly from steam eliminating into gluten pockets.

I gotta stop posting drunk.

Today's pies. Taking a break from my sourdough obsession (morbidly failing). Rusty but it came out good...

Looks delicious. Perfect char
What's your dough recipe? I'm getting a little tired of NY style, blasphemy, I know.
You've got a great rise. I just can't get fluffy out of it. I'm thinking I need to go higher hydration and some bread or AP flour in the mix but not 100%

In other za news, The Pizza Show season two has started on viceland!

Ya you're correct. The longer one definitely had more flavor which I would prefer over a more aggressive rise. I usually try to get over a day ferment, but in this case I did a 1 day cuz my brother offered his presence with his gf and I had to scramble to make a second dough. That being said, it was a pretty cool experiment

Pizza show, what? I've got nothing on my dvr but reruns of s.1... Boo direct tv.
That pizza was 60% hydration, .5% idy, 2.25% pink salt, 1% evoo (staggered mix). I use wort instead of water though. Makes for a bit stickier dough but it's fun to use, believe it was a Belgian single ish base. Cold ferment 4 days.
And both of those pies looked scrumptious kev, that inspired me. Worthy experiment.

Pizza show, what? I've got nothing on my dvr but reruns of s.1... Boo direct tv.
That pizza was 60% hydration, .5% idy, 2.25% pink salt, 1% evoo (staggered mix). I use wort instead of water though. Makes for a bit stickier dough but it's fun to use, believe it was a Belgian single ish base. Cold ferment 4 days.
And both of those pies looked scrumptious kev, that inspired me. Worthy experiment.

Well, the first two episodes are on vice.com, so I assumed that they had hit the TV, but maybe not
Anyone who hasn't seen it, it's a solid reality series. I'm not huge on reality TV, but this kills DDD in my opinion. Frank really knows his stuff.
https://video.vice.com/en_us/show/pizza-show

Well, the first two episodes are on vice.com, so I assumed that they had hit the TV, but maybe not
Anyone who hasn't seen it, it's a solid reality series. I'm not huge on reality TV, but this kills DDD in my opinion. Frank really knows his stuff.
https://video.vice.com/en_us/show/pizza-show

"The Pizza Show" did a segment on my friend's pizzeria recently and should be airing sometime this fall, I believe. Caputo Cup winner, Norma Knepp, owner of Norma's Pizza at Root's Country Market in Lancaster Co. Pa.

Looks really good, got a recipe?

I just used a pizza dough recipe but scaled down slightly (not enough).
200g flour
116g hydration
5g salt
3g evoo
1g idy
Rested in fridge overnight. Then cranked up the oven and baked on a pan until brown.
It was pretty good but I would probably scale further to maybe 160g of flour. You don't need to worry about a cornichione (crust rim), just roll it out as thin as you can.

So it's hot as f in San Diego right now so I decided to grill my pie instead of oven the house to death. Apparently grilling removes the intelligent gene that tells you not to grab onto the steel to see if the bottom it's burning. This pizza better be good...

View attachment 1504319288207.jpg

@kev211 - OWWW!! I'm glad it turned out well anyway!

We're north of you and it was 99* here yesterday - WAY too hot for central coastal CA - inland a few miles at my Dad's it was 110*!! Yoicks.

We're gonna ORDER a pizza tonight as "more of same" is predicted weather-wise. No AC here, it doesn't warrant the expense of installing it for the 3 days a year we get this crap!

@kev211 - OWWW!! I'm glad it turned out well anyway!

We're north of you and it was 99* here yesterday - WAY too hot for central coastal CA - inland a few miles at my Dad's it was 110*!! Yoicks.

We're gonna ORDER a pizza tonight as "more of same" is predicted weather-wise. No AC here, it doesn't warrant the expense of installing it for the 3 days a year we get this crap!

Ya I feel ya. We don't have ac either but I finally caved and bought one of those portable ones. Not for me, but because my wife thought the dog was getting hot haha. But I'm pretty much over these 90+ degree days, and only 3 miles from the beach...

That looks great

I've not tried one of these yet, any tips for cooking it in the WFO? any differences in floor temp etc?

What I normally do is get my WFO to 900* and cook a bunch of quick Neapolitan pizzas first. Then I let the oven cool down to 500* to cook up some Sicilian pies. I also use bread flour for Sicilian pies and caputo flour for Neapolitan pies.

Not for me, but because my wife thought the dog was getting hot haha...

Same here. We got one for the dog too. Then we come home and he's napping in the bathroom...
Stupid heat. Over it as well. At least we got those coal miners back to work! Oops wrong forum...Made a sourdough pie. Think I'm calling it on that experiment too. Too much difficulty for such a small difference in depth of flavor. My starter is uberstrong though maybe I'll start making bread and pancakes more.

View attachment 1504484029740.jpg

I had some carne asada marinating but I had a hankering for pizza. So I made a carne asada "taco" pizza. I made a seasoned sour cream sauce topped with carne, grilled corn, black beans, cheese, cilantro and onions. Turned out pretty great for a 5 hour ferment.

Back