The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I tried that at 800F with a metal insulated stone and still too much char on the bottom vs the top. Think ill just hold off till we move in a year and just build an oven.

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

When you get the deck of a regular pizza oven up to 800º the dome is usually 1000º+ Not sure what happens in the egg, but at these temps, the crust on the bottom is set in about 25-30 seconds and then you "dome" the pie by using a piel to lift it toward the dome, and then let it down to rotate to cook the upper part of the pie until its done. the whole process should take between 50-90 seconds. This is the Neapolitan style, which is usually done with a different type of dough.

If you're looking for a New York Style, try getting your egg at about 600-650º and see if that works better. Buy a couple homer buckets and buy a sack of All-Trumps High Gluten Flour (store in homer buckets with lids), which works great for NY style.

If you try to do NY style at 800 degrees, you will burn the bottom before the top is done.

Check out www.pizzamaking.com

TD

So check this out. I ordered 22lbs of the Napoli 00 flour from amazon. It didn't arrive after 12 days so I clicked the customer service chat link to get a refund. Rep told me that the shipment was lost and instantly refunded my money. I asked her what to do if I received shipment. She said "keep it, sorry for the inconvenience". It arrived last week! Just mixed a batch and there is a clear difference between this and bread/AP flour. Much finer... I'm excited!

Caramelized Onions....the most overlooked, cheap, easy, gourmet topping there is.

Start onions sliced thin ina little olive oil on low heat.

1399385015549.jpg

Chopsticks are for BAD ASS chefs.
1399385043820.jpg

So much flavor....
1399385072863.jpg

Whole Wheat calzone. Kneaded 25 minutes....FANTASTIC crust!
1399385099528.jpg

GF right on cue...."The caramelized onions make SUCH a difference!"

:mug:
1399385131169.jpg

^^ looks good bro! I use onions the same way but what I like even more is braised leeks. They have less moisture than the onions so they get a little bit crispy and burned up on the pizza and get this amazing flavor unlike anything else. And congrats on your ill gotten Caputo HD :mug:

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Im not sure how mine will turn out tonight. I have been trying to get wetter dough, but I think this stuff is too wet. We will find out

Im not sure how mine will turn out tonight. I have been trying to get wetter dough, but I think this stuff is too wet. We will find out

It's hard to make pizza dough that's too wet. Your really not asking too much of it, it doesn't have to hold a shape. I've pushed it to 100% hydration, and it still works beautifully. You have to work it quite a bit to build some strength in the dough because the gluten matrix is so sparse, but it makes it really easy to form the crusts.

Do you guys use a stone to cook the pie in the oven? I'm looking at the Emile Henry pizza stone. Spendy but is it worth the money?

I use a stone and do many others here. Some just use baking sheets and there are iron pizza pans as well. I wish I would have got a bigger stone and not a pizza. The square ones fit much more food if you're into baking bread as well.

Do you guys use a stone to cook the pie in the oven? I'm looking at the Emile Henry pizza stone. Spendy but is it worth the money?

I bought a stone for $8 at a restaurant supply place and it works like a charm.

/post from ChugachBrewing's dough recipe thread, his dough is beautiful and he helped me make my best pizza in my very very short pizza/dough making career (5-6 doughs in this brief career).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/bagels-pizza-bread-418135/

Dude, not sure what else to say besides that this is the best dough Ive ever made. Thanks for schooling me on the ways, these were without doubt the best pizzas I have ever made. My wife was floored. I could do a better job with the crust, it might be a little big, but I am still learning. Leaps and bounds better than any pizza I have ever made, it was amazing how the folds changed the texture of the dough. I probably did 6-8 folds throughout a 12 hour cold ferment.

Thanks again for all the help!

I made a white pie and a pepperoni, not pictured I topped the white with an arugula salad. I used Peter Rheinhart's no cook sauce recipe for the red.

photo2_zps7e3612a9.jpg

photo3_zps181aa3da.jpg

photo4_zps0a8bbf40.jpg

Roni pie

photo5_zps153664c6.jpg

/post from ChugachBrewing's dough recipe thread, his dough is beautiful and he helped me make my best pizza in my very very short pizza/dough making career (5-6 doughs in this brief career).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/bagels-pizza-bread-418135/

Dude, not sure what else to say besides that this is the best dough Ive ever made. Thanks for schooling me on the ways, these were without doubt the best pizzas I have ever made. My wife was floored. I could do a better job with the crust, it might be a little big, but I am still learning. Leaps and bounds better than any pizza I have ever made, it was amazing how the folds changed the texture of the dough. I probably did 6-8 folds throughout a 12 hour cold ferment.

Thanks again for all the help!

I made a white pie and a pepperoni, not pictured I topped the white with an arugula salad. I used Peter Rheinhart's no cook sauce recipe for the red.

photo2_zps7e3612a9.jpg

photo3_zps181aa3da.jpg

photo4_zps0a8bbf40.jpg

Roni pie

photo5_zps153664c6.jpg

If youre looking to make the edges of the crust thinner try this...once you have your dough flat use your knuckles to stretch the crust (dont stretch the middle...it will stretch on its own) this will not only give you a thinner crust but a more even crust. The easiest way to do this is use high gluten flour (if you arent already) which allows you to stretch the dough more than you thought was possible :) Also, when you are forming the dough before you stretch it, try forming the crust first and then the middle. Just my 2 cents but that is one fantastic looking pie!

If youre looking to make the edges of the crust thinner try this...once you have your dough flat use your knuckles to stretch the crust (dont stretch the middle...it will stretch on its own) this will not only give you a thinner crust but a more even crust. The easiest way to do this is use high gluten flour (if you arent already) which allows you to stretch the dough more than you thought was possible :) Also, when you are forming the dough before you stretch it, try forming the crust first and then the middle. Just my 2 cents but that is one fantastic looking pie!

Great tips, I'll try it out this weekend. I am quite a noob, especially my bench work so tips like this are pretty valuable to me. Ive been watching youtube videos on handling dough, Ive learned a bunch but have a long way to go.

This pizza was great, but the crust was a little out of control, but the flavor was awesome.

Tried my hand at spent grain dough for the first time after my saison brew day. Also tried a pizza that I thought up while making kielbasa..
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400949563.638426.jpg this one is spicy Italian with Caramelized onions and red pepper, simple but good
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400949622.228293.jpg
Here's the interesting one.. I made a sweet spicy mustard sauce with olive oil and the juice from some sauerkraut, and it has kielbasa and sauerkraut on it with some finely chopped kielbasa that I fried up to have the feel of bacon bits.. As odd as it sounds it may be my new favorite! The sauerkraut wasn't as in your face as I expected and my sister even thought it could use more

^^ very intriguing! I've thought of putting kraut on pizza as well, but didn't have the guts. Maybe I'll do a potato/brat/kraut pizza. Today I'm making bread.

^^ very intriguing! I've thought of putting kraut on pizza as well, but didn't have the guts. Maybe I'll do a potato/brat/kraut pizza. Today I'm making bread.

There's a little bar up in Wisconsin that we've been going to for years and one of his specials is a kraut and ham pizza. It's great, get it everytime I'm there.

I only had one stick in the beginning when the pan was new and I forgot to oil it. 100 pies later, not an isse at all.

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

Ahh. I don't use a pan unless it's for deep dish, though thinking about getting a pan for Detroit style pizza.
I sometimes get sticky dough if the humidity is really high, then I cut down on % hydration a couple points, go up a few points if its really dry. Other time is when kids want to help and either take too long putting toppings on, or poke at the dough with their fingertips. They're getting better though, and can usually fix before putting into oven.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I used to never use a pan either... and was opposed to the very idea until I tried it out at a friends house. The advantage is you can stretch the dough thinner, keep it in a round shape (which I know doesn't affect flavor, but I like it...) and most importantly, don't have to give a thought to sliding it on to the stone. I let it "set" by baking 3-5 min, then slide it directly onto the stone and it achieves a crispy crust.
As for the hydration, I've been kicking it pretty high, and just use flour/corn meal at stretching time to keep from anything going awry. I think the higher hydration yields a much chewier and crisper crust with more structure.

If you're trying to dial your dough in , as I am still after 2+ years, parchment paper is your friend. In fact, it really just takes all the worry out of getting the pie off or onto the peel w/o messing everything up in the process. If I ever do get my poo together to the point where I don't have to worry about the basics constantly, then I'll circle back around to the nuances of it all.

If you're trying to dial your dough in , as I am still after 2+ years, parchment paper is your friend. In fact, it really just takes all the worry out of getting the pie off or onto the peel w/o messing everything up in the process. If I ever do get my poo together to the point where I don't have to worry about the basics constantly, then I'll circle back around to the nuances of it all.

I've got the dough dialed. 75% hydration seems to be it, then incorporate flour/corn meal as you shape to keep it from sticking. I tried parchment paper, but wasn't a fan of how the bottom of the crust came out. I can definitely see the benefits though it you're worried about things sticking/getting messed up.

You guys have had me drooling over all these pictures. Haven't made pizza in a while (since the last smoked salmon one, I think) so we're gonna have one sometime soon! Traditional, mostly - pepperoni, salami, sausage, black olives, onions, Serrano peppers, artichoke hearts, and lots of cheese.

I've never payed attention to percent hydration.. In fact I start with a general amount of flour and water and add more until it feels right. I knead it and mix by hand so I just keep adding till it's right.

Back