The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adeering said:
Just thought I add to this thread a couple tips Ive picked up from the many pizzas I made and one of my own.

When adding sugar to your dough, replace it with wither LME or DME, the more complex sugar takes longer for the yeast to break down. So you get a double rise out of it, the first rise (around an hour to rise) the yeast break down all the simple sugars, work the dough and let it rise for another 45min and you get a second rise. I picked up the tip from my favorite cooking show "Good Eats" and have found i love the dough.

This does work remarkably well. Since I've been brewing AG I sparge a bit extra to use in the dough instead of water.

Sampled Headbanger's pies last night.

That pellet grill is magical! completely reproduces the effect of a wood fired oven, but with far less mess and a lot more control.

Wish I had taken a few pics, but the food, the homebrew, and the company were FANTASTIC.

cheezydemon3 said:
Sampled Headbanger's pies last night.

That pellet grill is magical! completely reproduces the effect of a wood fired oven, but with far less mess and a lot more control.

Wish I had taken a few pics, but the food, the homebrew, and the company were FANTASTIC.

Now you're just bragging!

I'm about to get real with Chef Rex's culture that he graciously endowed me with a full month ago. It took off nicely in a half cup of flour/water, and we made pancakes with it Sunday morning to give it a test run. This weekend I'm going to see what she can do on some pies.

image-1960459312.jpg

bottlebomber said:
I'm about to get real with Chef Rex's culture that he graciously endowed me with a full month ago. It took off nicely in a half cup of flour/water, and we made pancakes with it Sunday morning to give it a test run. This weekend I'm going to see what she can do on some pies.

Don't forget to make English muffins....

cheezydemon3 said:
Honestly a few names came up that we wouldn't mind cooking and hanging out with and yours was one, Melana.

Aw... If it weren't for some spending curtailment I was supposed to be out that way this week!

THIS THREAD SHOULD NOT BE ON MY SECOND PAGE OF REPLIES! Probably the best pies ive made so far thanks to ChafRex sending some awesome sourdough yeast :D Thanks again man!

First one was for the girlie, standard pepperoni. The second one was for me and was left over chicken and peppers from fajitas earlier this week. The third is the same as the second except almost twice as much chicken, peppers, and mozzarella and will be saved for football on sunday :mug: ChefRex gets all the credit for these!

The last picture is my idea of pairing food with beer :drunk:

2013-11-21 18.00.03.jpg

2013-11-21 18.15.20.jpg

2013-11-21 18.32.53.jpg

2013-11-21 18.38.05.jpg

2013-11-21 18.48.21.jpg

finsfan said:
THIS THREAD SHOULD NOT BE ON MY SECOND PAGE OF REPLIES! Probably the best pies ive made so far thanks to ChafRex sending some awesome sourdough yeast :D Thanks again man!

First one was for the girlie, standard pepperoni. The second one was for me and was left over chicken and peppers from fajitas earlier this week. The third is the same as the second except almost twice as much chicken, peppers, and mozzarella and will be saved for football on sunday :mug: ChefRex gets all the credit for these!

The last picture is my idea of pairing food with beer :drunk:

Agreed. ChefRex is awesome.

Oh yeah! I remember seeing those back when they were posted. Brrain didn't make the connection though. Thanks!

Now i remember. My brain is having issues this morning. Any way you slice it pizza is always good.

I occasionally hear someone ask "Do you like chicago style or New york style??? I HATE new york style!!!"

"You confused me with someone who likes to argue over stoopid ****. I like FOOD" :)

For dietary reasons (heart disease), regular pizza is off the menu :(. Adjust, adapt, and overcome they say, and so I did.

2011-08-27 13.05.39.jpg

Local bakery pizza dough, olive oil wash, tomato sauce, minced garlic, sliced romas, diced green peppers, sliced bella mushrooms, sliced onions, sliced black olives, lean Canadian bacon, turkey pepperoni, diced grilled chicken breast, low fat mozzarella and cheddar, and fresh basil on top, baked at 550 for 11 minutes for a chewy crust or 12 minutes for a crispy one.

2013-05-27 22.36.53.jpg

I based this one off of America's Test Kitchen's attempt at a Chicago style deep dish (Video Blog attempt), with the dough made from scratch, but they didn't use enough toppings for my taste. After the dough was formed to the pan, I put the cheese in, and then poured a thin layer of sauce (caramelized onions, sautéed bella mushrooms, tomato sauce) inter-layered with the list of toppings from the above pizza, save for the onions and mushrooms that were already in the sauce. Topped with grated Parmesan. Instead of making two smaller pies per their recipe, I made one big one, three inches thick, half of which was the crust.

For dietary reasons (heart disease), regular pizza is off the menu :(. Adjust, adapt, and overcome they say, and so I did.

View attachment 161794

Local bakery pizza dough, olive oil wash, tomato sauce, minced garlic, sliced romas, diced green peppers, sliced bella mushrooms, sliced onions, sliced black olives, lean Canadian bacon, turkey pepperoni, diced grilled chicken breast, low fat mozzarella and cheddar, and fresh basil on top, baked at 550 for 11 minutes for a chewy crust or 12 minutes for a crispy one.

View attachment 161795

I based this one off of America's Test Kitchen's attempt at a Chicago style deep dish (Video Blog attempt), with the dough made from scratch, but they didn't use enough toppings for my taste. After the dough was formed to the pan, I put the cheese in, and then poured a thin layer of sauce (caramelized onions, sautéed bella mushrooms, tomato sauce) inter-layered with the list of toppings from the above pizza, save for the onions and mushrooms that were already in the sauce. Topped with grated Parmesan. Instead of making two smaller pies per their recipe, I made one big one, three inches thick, half of which was the crust.

how is that not regular pizza?

I saw some new brand of pizzas at Giant Eagle that got me to thinking. They were seafood pizzas! Shrimp,clams oysters,scallops,that sort of thing. With some creamy rich fontina cheese on a spent IPA grain crust!:rockin: Or maybe smoked guda from laughing cow.

I saw some new brand of pizzas at Giant Eagle that got me to thinking. They were seafood pizzas! Shrimp,clams oysters,scallops,that sort of thing. With some creamy rich fontina cheese on a spent IPA grain crust!:rockin: Or maybe smoked guda from laughing cow.

Really? Now I'm going to obsess until I make this. Your ideas make me cook things.

Finally got to make some pizzas this evening, it's been months since I've had time to do something like this in the kitchen. I made a couple of margaritas, a mushroom and olive for the kids, and then for myself I made one with roasted corn and garlic cloves, sweet red peppers, aji amarillos and jalapeño peppers, and firehouse cheese curds. My wife asked for me to create something different so for hers I used red potatoes, roasted leeks, mozzarella, reggiano, and goat cheese and then I put some paper thin honeyed Meyer lemon slices on it and finished with balsamic. It looks simple but it turned out awesome, maybe my favorite. I was a little off my game with working the dough so I gave up and used a rolling pin (gasp!) which I know affected the texture, but it was still some of the best pies to come out of the conventional oven. Thanks again Rex for the culture, I can't wait to turn it loose on some bread.

image-3880959017.jpg

image-1107143622.jpg

image-2768235108.jpg

image-3914978369.jpg

image-1211450330.jpg

mccumath said:
Smoked mozzarella, smoked vintage sharp white cheddar, herb brined chicken, prosciutto, olives with a white basil/Parmesan sauce. Mmmmmmmm! And BB - No Coaster!
You're living the life man! Dammit I want pizza every time I see it :mad:

Back