The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could probably build one cheaper than that but you couldn't slow smoke BBQ or grill in it.

Yes, you can. You can do an amazing amount of things with a brick oven, including those. The only drawback is the amount of time to get the oven to temperature (high) for pizza, then allowing it to cool down to do breads, roasts, etc. etc. They are giant heat sinks and it takes a while to change the temperature.

My oven is a forno bravo, the one with with the insulated door.
When I make pizza I usually start the fire at 3:30 PM and its ready to bake by 5:30 or 6:00. I rarely use the oven the next day, but if I do, it's at least 500° and some days hotter, especially if I'm doing Neo pies instead of NY pies. I have a really tall chimney, if I was to guess, about 18 feet or more tall. I think that the height helps to draw in fresh air. One of these days I'll do some other baking in it. I think you can simulate a steam oven with a pan of water in it.

TD.

My oven is a forno bravo, the one with with the insulated door.
When I make pizza I usually start the fire at 3:30 PM and its ready to bake by 5:30 or 6:00. I rarely use the oven the next day, but if I do, it's at least 500° and some days hotter, especially if I'm doing Neo pies instead of NY pies. I have a really tall chimney, if I was to guess, about 18 feet or more tall. I think that the height helps to draw in fresh air. One of these days I'll do some other baking in it. I think you can simulate a steam oven with a pan of water in it.

TD.

Mine is a hand built "Pompei" oven from plans on the Forno Bravo site. There's at least 4 inches of insulation around it and retains enough heat to cook something as long as three days after pizza night. I've roasted all my Thanksgiving turkeys in it since 2010, bread, apple pie, covered side dishes etc. I've used it as a smoker once the temp drops to about 275 with just a small pile of lump charcoal and wood chips off to one side. I sometimes spread some coals in front near the opening and set a Tuscan grill over them for steaks and burgers. If the oven is hot, steaks take as little as maybe 2 minutes a side! There's really nothing you can't do in a wood fired oven.

This is a "leftover pizza" and is fairly experimental (actually turned out pretty good). It's rosemary dough with small dollops of leftover mashed potatoes, burgundy peppercorn tri-tip (affectionately known in San Diego as 'Cardiff Crack'), lightly bbq sauced, and cilantro. Topped with fresh avocado

View attachment 1465964921421.jpg

Interesting combination. How'd it taste?

Turned out pretty good actually. The steak lends itself naturally to be eaten with mashed potatoes (which I normally am not a fan of on pizza but I figured I would try it) and the store that sells the beef also grills it in their deli and makes sandwiches with BBQ sauce so its pretty normal. The cilantro just seemed like the right addition. All in all I enjoyed it AND I used up my leftovers.

It did seem a little gluttonous to be eating that while my wife had an acai bowl though :D

I was just thinking the mashed potatoes might've been more interesting if they were chilled stiff first, then formed into small patties & fried in butter till browned, then arranged on the pizza? Common street food in Bratislava, Slovakia where mom's side is from.

I was just thinking the mashed potatoes might've been more interesting if they were chilled stiff first, then formed into small patties & fried in butter till browned, then arranged on the pizza? Common street food in Bratislava, Slovakia where mom's side is from.

That does sound freaking awesome! I was so lazy while cooking though last night, plopping the mashed potatoes down was about all I could muster up :D

Well, I knew it had to happen someday. Rust never sleeps. Today, my trusty rusty portable pizza oven succumbed to the elements. I was trying to move it out front for an off-site event this weekend when it just fell apart under it's own weight. I swear I could feel her soul pass through my body as I gently guided her to the ground. So it is with a heavy heart that I must say, Fare thee well old friend. I knew you well!

oven%20701.jpg

dead oven.jpg

dead oven2.jpg

A good auto restoration shop could probably ressurect your old rusty iron maiden for a nominal fee or and afternoon of free lunch made on it....

TD

Actually, I found the exact make and model on Amazon for $138. I'm thinking about it. I still have the upper portion. Just need the base unit.

Well, I knew it had to happen someday. Rust never sleeps. Today, my trusty rusty portable pizza oven succumbed to the elements. I was trying to move it out front for an off-site event this weekend when it just fell apart under it's own weight. I swear I could feel her soul pass through my body as I gently guided her to the ground. So it is with a heavy heart that I must say, Fare thee well old friend. I knew you well!

I got a kick out of this.
The thing on top is okay right?

Yeah, the dome is fine and that was the tricky part. The bottom is an easy mod if I can find or buy one. Just have to decide if I really want to. I don't use it as much as I used to. It's cool as hell though, and I couldn't tell you how many people told me it made the best pizza they ever had! I like to think that I had something to do with that too! lol

2nd attempt with no knead. Need moist towel so top doesnt dry. Excellent again. Very easy to stretch. Difficulty in it sticking to peel. My pizzas are never pretty I don't know how to make a circle. Best pic i could muster

Mine are usually all over the map. Circles do not exist in our house when pizzas are being made

I thinks it's salvageable. A little super glue, bubble gum, and bailing wire and you're back in business

Has anyone here who has done the no-knead recipe found the amount of salt to be too high? I normally use 2% but this recipe calls for 3.2%. Thats over 6000mg of sodium for 500g of flour.

ok that's the dough i made.... oven is heating up now.

5200-5500mg of sodium per pizza. this shoud be delicious!

Ok so this no knead recipe pissed me off. I spent years perfecting my traditional kneaded dough recipe and this blows it away. Much much easier to make too. The texture in this pizza is amazing.

Kid's pizza:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466293964.397284.jpg

Adult's pizza (pepperoni, mushroom, black olive):
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466293949.151105.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466293977.601272.jpg

Only challenge I had was handling of the first (pepperoni) pizza dough. I wasn't used to the non-uniform structure and had a few thin spots and a few thin spots. Also wasn't a great circle. The second one i was more careful and nailed it.

Okay. Now I have to try the no knead dough. Can somebody point me to a recipe please. Sounds like sacrilege, but I keep hearing great things about it. Need to give it a try.

Sorry, the one posted is it. Here's a screenshot for you. The interesting thing is no sugar and such a small amount of yeast. A packet of yeast would make 8 recipes! In the video I'm not even sure he measures the water. He just adds it to a come together cover it and let it sit.

View attachment 1466358700792.jpg

I made the no knead recipe posted above with 1.00g instant yeast instead of ADY. It doubled in 7 hours, i shaped it, and then baked it off 2 hours later. House was exactly 72-degrees. YMMV.

Thanks for that guys. Much appreciated and will definitely give it a try. I have lots of pastrami as of today. Seems like it would work well on a pizza!

Thanks for that guys. Much appreciated and will definitely give it a try. I have lots of pastrami as of today. Seems like it would work well on a pizza!

Let us know how the pastrami turns out. It's on my list of things I'd like to experiment with.

We make "reuben pizza" all the time. It's delicious!!! :rockin:

Latest posts

Back