The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391925124.032172.jpg

I've throwing in a pinch of this to feed the yeast. The first two ingredients are dextrose and ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). Anyone else use vitamin C to feed the yeasties?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've throwing in a pinch of this to feed the yeast. The first two ingredients are dextrose and ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). Anyone else use vitamin C to feed the yeasties?

No, but, my super high end pizza flour has vitamin C added as a "dough conditioner".

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing 4 pizzas this weekend for a dinner party, heres the planned pies:
Gyro Pizza with an Avocado Tzatziki sauce
Tequila Beef Fajita with Salsa and grilled peppers and onions
Garlic Shrimp and pesto
Caribbean Jerk Chicken with a mango habanero sauce

Not doing any pizzas with a classic red sauce this weekend. First two I have done before and come out great, the 3rd one is pretty safe and should be good, but the last one is an experiment and excited to try it.

Doing 4 pizzas this weekend for a dinner party, heres the planned pies:
Gyro Pizza with an Avocado Tzatziki sauce
Tequila Beef Fajita with Salsa and grilled peppers and onions
Garlic Shrimp and pesto
Caribbean Jerk Chicken with a mango habanero sauce

Not doing any pizzas with a classic red sauce this weekend. First two I have done before and come out great, the 3rd one is pretty safe and should be good, but the last one is an experiment and excited to try it.

Any with cheese? They all sound interesting!

I'm having a pizza party this Sat. All inside kitchen pies. It's just too damn cold and snowy to fire up the outside ovens. Detroit style, N.Y. style and something in between. Toppings yet to be determined. Probly nothing too fancy though. I know my fan-base pretty well. I'll try to get some pics..

I just watched a few videos on it and the dough that it made looked pretty damn good for how simple it is. I will see next week.

Mine kneaded well but another memory came up, the demise of mine was leaving it unsupervised and having it walk off the counter, just a heads up.

Thats what I thought. I am not a fan of kneading or mixing by hand, so im hoping this works as well as it says it does. Do you think I can use sourdough yeast with it?

That's the same one I use as well. Works really good for sour dough as you can leave it in the machine for the long rises. I had a system down at one time where I would mix up some dough one night during the week, let it rise over-night, knead via machine again the next morning then let it rise again while at work. You can repeat this as many times as you like until you get desired texture, pizza seemed to work best with 2-3 rises. Just use the artisan dough cycle, it will not bake at the end and don't let it knead the whole time on any rise after the first. I really need to get another culture going this spring.

Excuse the fact that this is again a cell phone pic, and also excuse the fact that the family ate it before I got a pic of the pie after it was done cooking. This was 80/20 bread and corn flour, 70% hydration crust. Cheese was Monterey Jack, White Cheddar, and Romano. Sauce was leftover from my last couple pies.

1392337269268.jpg

I have a Zojirushi bread machine, I highly recommend it if you can get together the cash for it. Kneads like a champ and lots of customizable features to make things just how you want. I haven't been using it as much lately as I've been doing more rustic styles of bread but I've put literally hundreds of pounds of flour through it without a hiccup. You definitely do get what you pay for with appliances.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Excuse the fact that this is again a cell phone pic, and also excuse the fact that the family ate it before I got a pic of the pie after it was done cooking. This was 80/20 bread and corn flour, 70% hydration crust. Cheese was Monterey Jack, White Cheddar, and Romano. Sauce was leftover from my last couple pies.

What type of pan are you using? Iv'e never done a pan pie, do you preheat the pan and drop the pie in? Or build the pie in the pan?
The biggest cast iron I have is a 10" fry pan and the same in a dutch oven, been meaning to do bread in the oven just hasn't happened.

It's a 13" cast iron skillet. I toss the crust and build the pie in the pan, then cook it at 425F. The cheese was pretty thin on that one because I wasn't sure what to expect for greasiness from the cheddar, but I am making another today that I'll go a little heavier on.

I also have a stone that I like using, but since I just got the skillet a few months ago I'm still going through my honeymoon phase with it.

It's a 13" cast iron skillet. I toss the crust and build the pie in the pan, then cook it at 425F. The cheese was pretty thin on that one because I wasn't sure what to expect for greasiness from the cheddar, but I am making another today that I'll go a little heavier on.

I also have a stone that I like using, but since I just got the skillet a few months ago I'm still going through my honeymoon phase with it.

That's what my buddies mom always used when she made pizza way back when we were kids. I always enjoyed having pizza there, I had always wanted to make one like that but forgot about it till I saw your post. Thanks.

Thanks!

The bottom crust came out slightly undercooked unfortunately, but it was still yummy!

I ordered a pizza stone. I will definitely be doing this again. I made the crust dough in a bread maker and it worked out well.

Back