The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That one is a little over done, this is a little better

IMG_0062.jpg

I am sure the pinwheel one tasted good, those others look fantastic!

*Pitched a shutout on the last page with B&WOG avatars ;)*

Last edited by a moderator:
Gah! Not available for Amazon Prime, and $8 shipping. I'm gonna buy it anyway, because that loaf looks great!

BTW Rex, you are making my day every time you post.

I forget where I bought it , just pulled up Amazon because they have it, don't they have everything!
Happy to brighten up your day, you should have stopped by, would have been better:mug:

made a few za's tonight, hopefully these are my last non-sourdough pizzas!! the first one was cream cheese pepperoni and mozzarella. The second one is homemade spicy salsa for the sauce, jalapenos and mozzarella :D

2013-10-03 17.57.10.jpg

2013-10-03 18.09.55.jpg

finsfan said:
made a few za's tonight, hopefully these are my last non-sourdough pizzas!! the first one was cream cheese pepperoni and mozzarella. The second one is homemade spicy salsa for the sauce, jalapenos and mozzarella :D

Sourdough pizza is the best

Looking good but i think you could use a little more heat or a stone, what temp are you using? I max mine out at 550 and allow it to preheat for an hour or so.

yeah my oven also maxes out at 550. I first pie i let the crust bake for 4 minutes before adding toppings, the second one I didnt. I was a little impatient tonight only let the deep dish stone heat up 10 minutes. I didnt realize it took an hour to heat up!

yeah my oven also maxes out at 550. I first pie i let the crust bake for 4 minutes before adding toppings, the second one I didnt. I was a little impatient tonight only let the deep dish stone heat up 10 minutes. I didnt realize it took an hour to heat up!
When your oven indicates it is up too temp it is only sensing air temp, it takes a good bit for solids to get up to temp. I actually have two stones stacked on top of each other.
The more thermal mass the better.

ChefRex, that picture of the sourdough pizza is haunting me in my sleep. I must have it. I've long wanted to get into making wild loaves, and I think this will be my big year. I've read a lot about starting a culture from a bunch of grapes, and being in wine country this is the perfect place and time of year to get that moving. You've inspired me, my friend.

So as far as dough goes, does everyone just let it rise on the counter or do any of you use a proofing oven? By proofing oven I mean the cheap skate way where you turn your regular oven on low and put the dough in it to rise with the oven door open a crack.

N7KMS said:
So as far as dough goes, does everyone just let it rise on the counter or do any of you use a proofing oven? By proofing oven I mean the cheap skate way where you turn your regular oven on low and put the dough in it to rise with the oven door open a crack.
You don't want to do that. The lowest most ovens go is 175, and even that is not reliable and that's WAY too hot as I'm sure you're aware of as a brewer. I think what you're thinking of is leaving the oven light on to produce a little radiant heat. I never do, because it's not necessary on long fermentations. But you certainly could if you were making yeast bread dough in the morning on a cold winter day and wanted it to be useful in the evening.

Does the light really put ff enough heat for that to work? I guess with the door shut it might keep it a bit above room temperature. If a guy were to use his upright freezer turned temperature controlled fermentation chamber with a heating element what would be a good temperature to set it at for use as a proofing oven? 76-80 would be too high for beers, but would it be ok for getting a fast rise on bread or pizza dough?

N7KMS said:
Does the light really put ff enough heat for that to work? I guess with the door shut it might keep it a bit above room temperature. If a guy were to use his upright freezer turned temperature controlled fermentation chamber with a heating element what would be a good temperature to set it at for use as a proofing oven? 76-80 would be too high for beers, but would it be ok for getting a fast rise on bread or pizza dough?
That would be good, but are you determined to make the dough and use it in the same day? Most people find that dough is vastly better after at least 24 hours, and I actually let it ferment in my 38 degree refrigerator for that period. And it depends on what kind of a bulb you have. Some oven bulbs can contribute quite a bit of heat.

Sour dough breads i generally let sit on the counter till it starts fermenting then if i have the time it goes in the fridge for a day or two. Pizza is a little quicker, I have a problem following rules. Todays doughs were a starter last night but the dough was all done today.
I work in the time frame i have and what feels right. It carries over to my cooking , baking, brewing and life in general.
The problem with this is duplication is difficult but i don't get stuck in ruts:D

cheezydemon3 said:
Mother Effer..... How did you brown that calzone so perfectly?

Oven cranked to 450 degrees and wait 20 min.. Kinda funny.. Was flipping thru channels.. Saw giadia de laurintis making this pizza dough.. She was hot and the pizza looked good.. So i used the recipe.. Turned out awesome..

Oven cranked to 450 degrees and wait 20 min.. Kinda funny.. Was flipping thru channels.. Saw giadia de laurintis making this pizza dough.. She was hot and the pizza looked good.. So i used the recipe.. Turned out awesome..

She's hot until she tries to smile.

giada-de-laurentis-0604p28-m.jpg

That woman has more teeth than the entire Osmond family and she wants you to see every one of 'em.

ChefRex said:
Sour dough breads i generally let sit on the counter till it starts fermenting then if i have the time it goes in the fridge for a day or two. Pizza is a little quicker, I have a problem following rules. Todays doughs were a starter last night but the dough was all done today.
I work in the time frame i have and what feels right. It carries over to my cooking , baking, brewing and life in general.
The problem with this is duplication is difficult but i don't get stuck in ruts:D

This.

I've got enough dried down sourdough to ship to anyone that wants it... Just send me a PM

That would be good, but are you determined to make the dough and use it in the same day? Most people find that dough is vastly better after at least 24 hours, and I actually let it ferment in my 38 degree refrigerator for that period. And it depends on what kind of a bulb you have. Some oven bulbs can contribute quite a bit of heat.

Yeah, I usually start wondering what to do for dinner around 3:00 so I'm thinking if I could do a fast dough I could be making pizza that night.

Still having enough dough left over from the calzones and learning October is national pizza month i present one more.
Damn this forum i'm getting fat.

DSCF0052.jpg

I have to limit my pizza making. If I just will-nilly made whatever I wanted, I would make pizza every day.

I am in great shape, but all of the pizza was making me grow a belly.....well.....that and the homebrew. Guess which one got cut ;)

Back