The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would turn the cast iron upside down. That would put the pizza higher with no sides blocking and possibly brown the top better on the grill. (lid close of course) maybe flip the pan over right before sliding the uncooked pizza onto it.

What I do know about cast iron is that it is a righteous conductor of heat. Putting a cold CI pan on the grill might slow the cooking process for a few minutes until the metal heats up. Perhaps cook the pizza on an inverted pan as CD suggests and preheat the CI with the grill before adding the pizza.

That pizza looks awesome btw.
Yeah, that's not a bad idea, but what I love about the cast iron is I can make it in there and not have to transfer the pizza. Plus I like how the edges of the crust are crispy too.

When I've used one in the oven, I heated up the CI faster (with the pizza in it) over a burner on the stove for a couple minutes. I could try that before grilling too.

mtnagel: That is one AWESOME looking pizza!
Regards, GF.
Thanks. Tasted great too!

DSC_0102_zps25200a46.jpg

A simple San Marzano Tomato and mozzarella cheese pizza coming out of the wood fired oven.

That's a sexy looking pie LaFin :mug:

A few humble contributions to a great thread

1) Pesto sauce (home made), mozzarella, spinach, caramelized onions, artichokes, sausage
2) Tomato sauce (home made), mozzarella, spinach, caramelized onions, sausage, pineapple, blue cheese (goes very well with the pineapple), chipotle peppers
3) A simple sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni and pineapple.

other wife.jpg

mine.jpg

pepperoni.jpg

That's a sexy looking pie LaFin :mug:

A few humble contributions to a great thread

1) Pesto sauce (home made), mozzarella, spinach, caramelized onions, artichokes, sausage
2) Tomato sauce (home made), mozzarella, spinach, caramelized onions, sausage, pineapple, blue cheese (goes very well with the pineapple), chipotle peppers
3) A simple sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni and pineapple.

Very nice!

Have you tried taking them off the parchment after 2 minutes? It should slide right out.

I let mine rest on a rack. Keeps the crust crisp. Resting on parchment would keep steam in and moisten the crust a bit.

It must run in the family :D

I thought about it, but ended up keeping it to make it easier to move when it was done. Does it make a difference?

Yeah I think so. Gives the crust a little more depth directly on the stone. Its really easy to remove the paper after it's been in the oven for a minute or two.

I'll give both of those a try. I'm generally pretty happy with my crusts but always looking for a way to improve.

Grilled another no knead pizza crust. This time half pickle pizza (it's great; don't judge) and Buffalo chicken. Turned out excellent. Yes the thermometer says 550F+ on the grill.

riU5sp8.jpg

Only issue was I cracked my pizza stone :( Good thing it was a cheap one. So I decided to elevate the stone by placing it on top of my cast iron. But it didn't fit by a little bit so I had to move it towards the back, which has a small opening so it was contacting the back of the grill open to the air, so I wonder if the temperature differential was too much for it. It may still be usable as it was just the corner, but still sucks. Pizza was excellent though.

I'm all in as long as there's no ranch dressing or sour cream involved. :drunk:

While I am in AWE of the bleu cheese suggestion.........the only "White" **** to hit my pizza is (damned, wish it was heavy cream and parmesan...) jarred alfredo sauce. AWESOME on a bacon chicken za, where the bacon is placed RAW on top of the cheese....

While I am in AWE of the bleu cheese suggestion.........the only "White" **** to hit my pizza is (damned, wish it was heavy cream and parmesan...) jarred alfredo sauce. AWESOME on a bacon chicken za, where the bacon is placed RAW on top of the cheese....

Alfredo is good for making a shrimp pizza also.

What about a 'white' garlic olive oil scampi 'sauce'? Or a roasted garlic olive oil paste with some fresh herbs on top and maybe a bit of pancetta for added yum?

My goto for prime rib is a roasted garlic/salt paste with tons of thyme and rosemary and black pepper. Turns out unbelieveably good! I bet that same mashup on pizza with olive oil would be good!

Latest posts

Back