The Ghost Simcoes Past

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthBay

Reaction score
So since simcoe seems to be gone for the rest of the year, what do you guys think about zythos as an alternative?

Fwiw, im pairing it with citra in an iipa

Ps: stupid phone. (shaking fist angrilly at droid swype technology)

Sounds delish! as Rachel Ray would say. I think it could work nicely. Alpha Acids are a touch lower in the Zythos but in the right range. Go for it.

zythos didn't even come close to simcoe for me, i liked the flavor but it wasn't even close to simcoe. zythos is a blend i won't be buying again.

I just made an ipa with zythos and was not impressed. Falconers flight was much better, not the FF 7 c's but the regular FF. It has simcoe in it. It's much closer to simcoe than zythos.

Maybe a mix of zythos and chinook? Or chinook and amarillo?

Never used falconers flight before

will be doing my first substitution this week with Zythos instead of Simcoe. i guess i never really heard about Simcoe being out of stock until i tried to order it for my springtime saisan. What did happen?

Apparently there was a bad harvest last year. So likely won't see it again til october.

I just bought some Simcoe from my LHBS on Friday. Check their website brewyourownbrew.com, they almost always have them in stock.

Well, I've got my needs met. But in case it comes up again, it doesn't sound like people like zythos as a replacement

I've used the citra before. I made an all citra apa. It's really citrus-ey. I haven't used Zythos, but I've got some that I'm going to use in an IIPA with chinook and centennial.

I sniffed some zythos in the LHBS and I'm convinced that the blend contains citra and/or galaxy. It has a that unistakable tropical fruit aroma. I didn't get much resin or pine notes from it, so I agree with the others that it wouldn't be a close replacement for Simcoe. I thought there was a little citrus too, in zythos. Maybe Summit or one of the "C" varieties. Galaxy might account for that.

Sure, zythos would go fine with citra, but I think it would be too similar, so I'd opt for something that would round out the flavors and complement it. Maybe Amarillo or something more floral, like Willamette.

Perhaps it's too late, but I just bought six oz. of Simcoe from William's Brewing two weeks ago.

THANK YOU!!! I've been looking for Amarillo, Citra, and Simcoe for quite some time now. Just order the max I could from them. Thanks again!

Back