The Frugal Gourmet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is irony in how much a bunch of homebrewers love Alton. Amber Waves of Grain was just bad all around.

But, I still love the guy. Good Eats guy, that is. Feasting on Asphalt or whatever it was called was horrible.

Alton Brown? Since I no longer have cable have missed him. Querky dude, nerd? Love his shows. I think his beer brewing episode, he missed a few points. Pretty much most of the facts about brewing. But he did try to at least give the public something they wouldn't have known about in general. Only thing I thought of when I saw that episode aside from him messing up terms and stuff.. Is he this in accurate about his cooking? I don't think he is but it made me wonder.

I think I learned to make bread from the Frugal Gourmet. One of his books had a bread baking section, might have been the first one I'm not sure now. By far I am nowhere close to a chef or master breadmaker. I thought I was at one time but that was just youthfull delusion.

Still though, the Frug got me into bread making. Simple flour, yeast, water recipe; just like on the fleishmann's yeast package. And it worked! Three simple ingredients and you make bread.. it was pretty cool, fullfilling, satisfaction.

Then I got a little more into making bread. Found a book by Daniel Leader. That guy did "kick it up a notch". (food enthusiast of the tv show Emerald will recognize that phrase)

I'm close to 50. When I was around 27-38 years old I was into bread making. I had a real nice sourdough starter living in my refriderator for many, many years, and made some delicious levans from it. Then I lost interest.. funny how life changes.

Julia, Jeff, and Justin all helped teach me to cook. I have cook books from all three.

One of my favorite cookbooks though is The Classic Pasta Cookbook by Giuliano Hazan (check the reviews!). Really helped me perfect Italian cooking. The thing I really like is the text explains what you will see/what to look for while you are cooking so you know when to proceed with the next step/finish.

It also taught me the importance on not cutting back on the oil/fat (at least with Italian dishes). They are important for the cooking process, not just the flavor. If you want less fat, then eat the dish less often, but make it right!

I also like Baking with Julia as that cookbook also give good descriptions, like looking for the dough to make a slapping noise (making brioche) so you know you have the consistency right.

I liked the old Alton. He's gotten a little too anal retentive for my tastes these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I watching "Ask This Old House" a while back, Tom Silva was disassembling an old deck so he could build a new one. He got to where the old deck met the house and started pulling off the aluminum flashing. Apparently the person who built the deck ran a little bit short of flashing because there was a flattened aluminum pie plate filling a gap. As Tom pulled the pie plate out, I swear he said "The f*** is this?" Gave me a chuckle.

Wow!, I guess I am old. I loved watching Graham Kerr, Julia Child, (And who remembers the Dan Akroid spoof?) Jeff Smith, Paul Prudohm, the other Cajun cook that always had his on-yun, and a little more "whyt" wine when he cooked, who's name escapes me. Emeril in the white tile kitchen, rather boring but still informative. My go to bread recipe is still Alton's "Basic Bread" recipe. I kinda liked his Challah bread recipe, but the one I use now is all mine from start to finish. Does anybody remember the first two songs played on MTV? NO Google cheating!
There were so many cooking shows, over so many years, that really influenced my wanting to cook because I loved the smile on people's faces when they really enjoyed something I had made.

Glad you brought this topic up.

The Frugal Gourmet got me into cooking big time. I loved his shows and books, and gave me a better understanding where the foods came from and how to prepare them. Julia Child may have started it, but Jeff Smith made it accessible, in a straight forward, no-fussy kind of way.

Besides Jeff and Julia, there were quite a few other cook shows I liked:
  • James Barber (The Urban Peasant) - "Make the best of what you have"
  • Martin Yan (Yan Can Cook)
  • Clarissa Dickson-Wright and Jennifer Paterson (Two Fat Ladies)
  • Alton Brown (early shows)
  • The Iron Chef (original series)
  • Justin Wilson - only saw his shows a few times
  • Chopped - That show really grew on me
  • Iron Chef America (ICA) - only a few chefs I deem worthwhile, won't mention names, you know who I'm talking about

How about Graham Kerr - the Galloping Gourmet? Clarified butter, cream, fat and wine!

I grew up watching Graham Kerr,Julia Child,Jacques Pepin etc. My dad was in the industry so I was always surrounded by many great Chefs. I studied under Dominque D'Ermo, John Peavy and a few others. My dad was involved with developing CIA and Johnson and Wales- where I received my Culinary degree. I think that's why my wife married me, for Valentines Day she bought me my beer kit and I can already see many similarities from the cooking world to the brewing world.
Those shows were an inspiration as a kid, Jeff Smith just seemed like a very nice and caring person. I loved the frugal gourmet but it broke my heart when he got into trouble

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My sister and i used to watch him and the galloping gourmet a ton when i was little.

if anyone is interested on catching up...
The Frugal Gourmet and others are on hulu

Your weekend is now lost :)

That was the first one. I have no idea what the second one was. Probably Talking Heads.

Yeah, #1 was "video killed the radio star", #2 was pat benatar "you better run".

Alton brown's early shows were great, but he became a charicature of himself. I still refer to the techniques in his earlier shows, but my first reference has become Harold Mcgee's "on food and cooking". Interestingly, it was an interview with Alton Brown when I first heard about that book.

I totally forgot about two fat ladies.... To me, their food was soooooo unappetizing, but they were a blast to watch.

Latest posts

Back