The emergence of Corporate Homebrew Shops...and otherworldly pricing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People seem to be getting riled up and having trouble being civil. I think people have had their say and am closing this. Remember, unlike much of the rest of the interwebs, this is a community that encourages members to treat each other with respect and civility. Name calling, trolling and excessive antagonism gets posts deleted and threads closed. If members seem unable to follow the rules, after being reminded, they are invited to leave.

Speaking as someone with a degree in Economics and Business, the beauty of the free market is that we all, whether we realize it or not, vote with our wallets every day. I would encourage everyone, including OP, to support businesses who treat them well, with good customer service and reasonable prices.

Personally, I don't think whether a Homebrew shop has multiple locations or a strong online presence or a large marketing budget is relevant in whether they are worthy or unworthy of my support. I used to shop at a NB brick and mortar location when I lived in Milwaukee, because it was on my way home from the office, well-stocked, and had reasonable prices and fairly knowledgeable staff. Back then I was new to the hobby, and had a group of friends who would brew together on a regular basis, and being able to pick up an NB kit worry-free, from a large number of options was just what I needed. I realize most know them as just an online retailer, but I think of them as a regional chain (MN and WI) that's also done well shipping nationally through their catalogue and website, due to my personal experience with them.

After moving to Houston 3 yrs ago and spending the first year driving across town to the closest LHBS, and brewing alone, I missed the convenience of NB store. I was excited when 2 years ago, a new LHBS opened up on my side of town, and the owner wisely started reaching out to his customers about starting a homebrew club for N-Houston. Because of the club, I have am now part of a community of people I otherwise would have never met, who share my enthusiasm for homebrewing, and learned so much about brewing! It has GREATLY increased my enjoyment of this hobby, from brewing alone when i first moved here. The shop owner knows alot of the craft breweries in the area, and has helped the club get private brewery tours, and some professional brewers to teach classes at the shop, serve as judges for club homebrew contests, and even hand out samples at club events. None of these personal interactions or experiences could come from an online retailer, and makes his shop more valuable to us locals than just the items on his shelves. Its a gathering place, a focal point for the homebrewers in this area.

Could i find better prices online? Perhaps, but I CHOOSE to buy my grains, hops and yeast from the local shop at his reasonable prices His store is clean, convenient, well-stocked, and he is very knowledgeable and helpful to anyone who walks in.

If he was a sketchy jerk who's store smelled like cabbage and the shelves looked like a 1970's Eastern European Grocery store, I would NOT shop there, because I make a point of not doing business with people I don't like or trust, wherever possible

Some people have a long drive to their nearest LHBS, and i feel very fortunate that is not the case for me anymore, and want it to remain that way. Regardless, I have NO problems with supporting NB or any of the "big players" in the homebrew supply industry (or anyone who else who orders from them). After all, they all started out with one store like this local shop at some point, and its not by accident that they became regional chains and/or online megastores, and that we now have choices of where to buy, which drives prices down everywhere. I order online on occasion when LHBS hasn't had something I'm looking for, or for bigger non-ingredients purchases like corny kegs where I extensively price-shop before ordering. I would guess that most who buy online price-shop like me, so if one online retailer is passing on their marketing costs to customers in the form of higher prices, the easy solution is to buy from one of the many competitors who are selling for less.

Support the companies that give you the best value, whatever that means to YOU. You may value different things more or less than me, and choose differently as a result. However, Ive had good experiences at all the Brick and Mortar, and online stores I've shopped at for homebrew supplies, and really have no cause to throw (figurative internet)rocks at any of them. Some are good, others are great!

Latest posts

Back