The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming up on 24 hours without power. The pole went down right around the corner and there has been a guy sitting in a gas company truck keeping idiots from driving down the road and electrocuting themselves pretty much from the beginning.
I was out trimming the orchard this morning and some Jackwad drove up and started berating the guy in the van for not getting out of the van and fixing the pole. He got himself arrested. Highly entertaining. I went over to the guy in the van after and asked how he was doing. He laughed and said “I work for the friggin’ gas company! All I know about electricity is that if the switch is up the power is on.”

We laughed about ‘poop for brains’ getting driven away in the back of the cruiser and laughed even harder when the tow truck pulled up to tow his SUV away.

Well I thought I was smart,...

I went to paint a truck I had spent a few days sanding & prepping and realized had no activator for the primer sealer.

My screw up, but in the old days this would have been a one part product. At least I reviewed instructions before I shot it, must be getting a little wiser..

It is sad the way they are allowed to misrepresent junk retail generator ratings like that. 4KW "peak output" means almost nothing, not the same as a 4KW continuous, load factor 1.0 gen set. Of course the later cost and weigh a lot more, but will usually use less fuel, run quieter and be there when you need it.

In the long run, an 1,800 RPM 4 pole set is the way to go, over a 3,600 RPM two pole screamer. Mil surplus, or old fixed up Onan a good way to go if you don't want to drop over $3-4K. You can do it for less if you're somewhat of a mechanic.

I can run boiler, hot water, well, laundry(gas dryer), dishwasher, fridge, freezers, lights(most are LED), and a couple of moderate window ACs of a surplus 5 KW set.

Last edited:
Rig Pizza Oven to this

upload_2020-4-16_8-4-52.png

I think a smart phone operated wood fire kind of misses the point, self sufficiency wise...

On that note, I got through entire winter without turning on any of the heat zones in house, probably put 8 cords through the wood stove, though looks like we are not quite done with it yet. Maybe I should sweep the floor soon....

Yes I'm board, local health depts are debating whether to extend work ban until end of April. As of next Monday, that will be a month with no income and work piling up, meanwhile possibly infected 2nd home owners keep streaming on island from NY, NJ, CT, etc.

Big excitement today, went to grocery store for first time in two weeks, fortunately everyone being more serious about masks and distancing this time. Going to get a truck inspected this afternoon, going to put on lift now and pre inspect, as usual. Two trips out of yard in one day,... whoopty..do,... and yes I am drinking more in the evenings.

Day 19 working from home; I swear I hear my altbier keg giggling at me from the basement, maybe through the forced air ductwork...

Today seems like it will be the first day I truly conform and never even step outside the door. Nice to have a day off. Some

However, there seems to have been a fundamental shift in the living room paradigm. Somehow I've lost control of the remote. WTF? Why am I sitting through a series about sexually frustrated British midwives and nuns in the late 40's? And why have I learned the names of the charectors?

This f'ing flu better hurry up and kill me or I'm going to kill either me or her.

Probably me. I clearly ain't man enough to kill her.

Today seems like it will be the first day I truly conform and never even step outside the door. Nice to have a day off. Some

However, there seems to have been a fundamental shift in the living room paradigm. Somehow I've lost control of the remote. WTF? Why am I sitting through a series about sexually frustrated British midwives and nuns in the late 40's? And why have I learned the names of the charectors?

This f'ing flu better hurry up and kill me or I'm going to kill either me or her.

Probably me. I clearly ain't man enough to kill her.
I recommend a medium to high dose of alcohol.

Duh fuq?
****. I NEVER could have stumbled on that on my own. You’re like a f’ing genius! Alcohol? Who would have guessed?.

She just had me watch a movie about the f’ing geek that either developed Facebook or stole it from two other f’ing butthurt geeks

I’m just mad I didn’t hang around in my ex’s sisters dorm way back when with $100 in my jeans.

IMG_20190324_132506177.jpg

I make wooden crates for my bombers. If you don't get the dimensions exactly right (no drinking during assembly), one or more "pockets" can be very tight fitting. Tonight, after a few fine Belgian ales, (and not watching some foo British flappers) I was putting away some washed bottles, and I had an epiphany. (A marvelous discovery for Paul).

Are you ready? THE BOTTLES ARE NOT ROUND!

If you put a bottle in and it starts to bind up, pull it back out and turn it a bit, and it fits fine!
I'm assuming my compartments are reasonably square, of course.

I think I need another beer to ponder further epiphanies tonight. My confidence in machine made mass molded bottles is shaken.

Hate them long posts. The gnats are drinking my beer! They don't carry covid, do they?
I could be sacrificing my body on the altar of science to find out, but they are pretty small.
Ok, done deal.

It is sad the way they are allowed to misrepresent junk retail generator ratings like that. 4KW "peak output" means almost nothing, not the same as a 4KW continuous, load factor 1.0 gen set. Of course the later cost and weigh a lot more, but will usually use less fuel, run quieter and be there when you need it.

In the long run, an 1,800 RPM 4 pole set is the way to go, over a 3,600 RPM two pole screamer. Mil surplus, or old fixed up Onan a good way to go if you don't want to drop over $3-4K. You can do it for less if you're somewhat of a mechanic.

I ain’t. At least on machines. People? Yes. Gasoline engines? Not so much.
Would you mind translating that into something a relatively stupid third grader would understand so I might have a chance?
Do you REALLY think I don’t have a better understanding of immunity than old soldiers hanging out in the American Legion basement drinking beer, waiting for a chance at glory? (Which, BTW, was an allusion that bordered on genius.)

Can you do that?
No. You also can’t cheat on your taxes. But you already knew that.

Remember NotCapeBrewing, the lesbian wolf hunter? That was an inspired bit of keyboard tickling there. Who was the f’ing mod that hunted her down? I think it was Yoop? Couldn’t get mad at her but damn, did she step on something that could have been great.

No. You also can’t cheat on your taxes. But you already knew that.

Remember NotCapeBrewing, the lesbian wolf hunter? That was an inspired bit of keyboard tickling there. Who was the f’ing mod that hunted her down? I think it was Yoop? Couldn’t get mad at her but damn, did she step on something that could have been great.

Waddaya mean you can't cheat on your taxes? Have I been doing something wrong?
I'll accept that I'm reasonably sane, but I kinda wonder about Hoppy. Have you seen her Viking hat? She's probably one of those Renaissance re-enactors or something.

Thank you Paul for thinking I'm sane and reasonable.I need some Bog beer.
I was sitting out on my deck this afternoon enjoying a few end of weekend project beers. And I got gobsmacked when I realized that your label is pretty much a tribute to me. Let’s face it, you patterned your brand after my pizza oven. I’m so touched and flattered. I wish your mom was more modern and could accept that we could have raised you together despite your illegitimacy.

8B2931D5-2DF7-4F7F-9495-C22259C9DEA0.jpeg

I ain’t. At least on machines. People? Yes. Gasoline engines? Not so much.
Would you mind translating that into something a relatively stupid third grader would understand so I might have a chance?
Do you REALLY think I don’t have a better understanding of immunity than old soldiers hanging out in the American Legion basement drinking beer, waiting for a chance at glory? (Which, BTW, was an allusion that bordered on genius.)

If you want explanation about generators, I can try, people, on the other hand,,,we won't get into that, as is too depressing and obvious to bare explanation. You probably won't have time to read this, but since I've been idled by the local powers that be, I have time to write.

Power factor= % of time machine is rated to run at 100% rated capacity. So if it is designed to hold up under continuous full load, it has a power factor of 1. Many "standby" generators are rated for less, such as .8 or less.

Units that have advertised "peak load" rating; that is max amount of power unit can produce, for a quick moment, such as a electric motor's starting load, but is not sustainable at that. A less kind interpretation is the load unit will make just before is blows up, fries a circuit, etc.

Mechanical generators make power by basically being an electric motor in reverse, a controlled magnetic field, instead of using power, they make it. Two magnetic poles are the minimum number that can produce a continuous field in rotation.

In this country, the electric grid runs at 60 cycles per second, or 60 hertz(Hz). A two pole generator needs to spin at 3,600 RPM to put out power at 60 Hz. Running at less than 60Hz will likely damage or fail to run most electric devices (although resistance loads like incandescent lights and simple heaters will work, but at reduced capacity). A four pole generator only needs to run at 1,800 RPM to make 60 Hz, so it is less work for drive motor, so it runs quieter, uses less fuel, and generally will last much longer.

Most industrial and critical use generators are four pole units. Many portable, occasional use and all "el cheepo" generators are two pole.

There are some older well made 4 pole gasoline sets out there, but most made today are diesel or natural gas/propane. Diesel is the way to go, unless you happen to be on utility supplied natural gas (and you somewhat trust the utility to be there when you need the generator).

There, I thought you looked like you needed a nap. Keep up the good work.

You've burst my bubble. I've been planning for awhile on buying a DuroStar 10k generator off Amazon. Just went and looked at it again, and no specs given for generator, but engine rpm slipped in at 3600 revs, so I'm assuming a 2 pole. Looking at similarly sized generators on Amazon, not a single one gives any specs on the generator portion, (one did mention all copper windings,but at ~$1000, I would hope so), but they all pump up the engine specs, dual fuel, fuel efficiency, noise levels, electric start, CARB compliance, how many plugs and voltages, etc.

Last edited:
I doubt you will find a decent new 10KW set for less than $3 or 4K, and it will be two pole, new four pole units cost a lot more. For occasional or emergency use, 2 pole is fine, but stay away from lower end imports. The quality control and construction on these can be truly terrible.

If I was in market for one, I'd go to Northern Tool rather than Amazon, they list specs and are more likely to stand behind what they sell.

If you are really into it, get something like these, though they do weigh over 800#s. I got mine on surplus auction, but that is a crap shoot and more involved than just paying for it. Some sellers buy surplus and then fix and test, which is not a bad way to go sometimes. I bought a surplus pump from the seller in first listing, transaction went well and he has a good reputation on another forum I am on.

I have both of these models, the older air cooled ones are usually less money and more rugged and basic in design, easier to work on, but quite a bit louder. If you are buying a surplus military generator, make sure you do not get a 400Hz unit, unless you are on an aircraft ground crew. 10 KW versions also available, bigger than that the military ones are 3 phase only. Military sets are under rated, and usually can produce around 25% more than rated power.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MILITARY-M...148286?hash=item2f3553d0be:g:s~wAAOSw8ZhdVr1Q

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MILITARY-M...381672?hash=item4d90890928:g:zYcAAOSw5cNYI9RL

Or something like this, but notice this particular one is 3 phase only, so you probably don't want that. These older Onans are very well made, but would not pay much for one I had not seen making power, unless I got it cheap and was ready to fix it. I have one of these I was given in gas/propane, but have not messed with it much as it uses 3x more fuel than the diesel ones to produce the same power.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Onan-6-5-N...367571?hash=item288ce2d453:g:dpMAAOSw1wpdp6hv

Sorry massholes, thought I was answering a question. I don't expect playing with generators to be in most folks realm of interest, so I was trying to share knowledge. Have been put in place for making a couple of sober & helpfully intended posts. I will try not to let it happen again.

I know from your posts all of your vacations are better than mine, I have not had one since '99. I doubt all my generators cost me as much as one of 'trippers annual forays to tropical islands, not to mention the second home & tish. {;

Back