The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got home from Deep Ellum bar. Great beers. Lots of German styles. Max the owner tapped a 20L keg of an unfiltered Helles. Amazing.

They are actually playing hockey again? I gave up on hockey last year during the strike.

I gave up on baseball in 1994. I gave up on NHL in 2005 during the lockout. If that wasn't the exact year, well, I'm old and years all blur. Still, I hated watching how the fans got screwed on that one. Last year's lock out was just more water under the bridge. Of course, it sucks because I like hockey a lot. Oh well, stuck with college and olympics and my own old guy league....

Just got home from Deep Ellum bar. Great beers. Lots of German styles. Max the owner tapped a 20L keg of an unfiltered Helles. Amazing.

I've got to get there next time I'm in town. I've heard of it but haven't been there yet. My go-tos are CBC and Lord Hobo over in Cambridge. I used to live a block away from both. Miss doing the crawl there.

I've got to get there next time I'm in town. I've heard of it but haven't been there yet. My go-tos are CBC and Lord Hobo over in Cambridge. I used to live a block away from both. Miss doing the crawl there.

I'm really starting to like this bar. I'm partial to German styles, so It's a place for me. Plus the food is pretty good. trust me, you'll need the food, with all that killer beer.

Should the crawl start only on the way home?

Next time you are in Cambridge, hit up Atwoods or Meadhall. Atwoods has a really nice patio space out back (of course, it helps if you go during warmer weather...).

I'm really starting to like this bar. I'm partial to German styles, so It's a place for me. Plus the food is pretty good. trust me, you'll need the food, with all that killer beer.

Their online menu looks pretty good. I've been looking for German food & beer places. I used to hit Jacob Wirth's a lot, but last time I went it looked like they were trying their hardest to become an Applebees wannabe. Service and food went to hell.

Their online menu looks pretty good. I've been looking for German food & beer places. I used to hit Jacob Wirth's a lot, but last time I went it looked like they were trying their hardest to become an Applebees wannabe. Service and food went to hell.
Whatever you do avoid the new "Germanesque" place in Union Square, Somerville. They took good German food and turned it into a plastic hipster version. Their beer list is ok but I was served my Schwartzbier in one of those heavy margarita glasses. I am a total Teutonphile and firmly believe in German bier culture and that place offended my soul.

I think SWMBO is still fuming mad. I just have to mention the name and she'll go off on a legitimate 50 minute rant about how that place is an abomination.

In terms of Beer, this place has a much better selection that JW.

Whatever you do avoid the new "Germanesque" place in Union Square, Somerville. They took good German food and turned it into a plastic hipster version. Their beer list is ok but I was served my Schwartzbier in one of those heavy margarita glasses. I am a total Teutonphile and firmly believe in German bier culture and that place offended my soul.

I think SWMBO is still fuming mad. I just have to mention the name and she'll go off on a legitimate 50 minute rant about how that place is an abomination.

You might be talking about Bronwyn. I went there last week. I heard good things, but it was just ok. It was way over priced. I think a friend and I had 3 beers each and a pretzel for 80 bucks. They are doing an Oktoberfest this weekend. I'm gonna try it again on Saturday. We will see.

I've only been to JW once but I was less than impressed. I don't expect the servers to be awesome brand ambassadors but I do expect them to have at least a clue about beer basics. I asked a question about which Jack's Abby they had as their "seasonal" and he started describing it in the most generic terms. I asked, "what is the name?" He couldn't tell me and just deferred my question. He then couldn't read the directions from his bartender about which beer was which and misserved all the beers at the table. Fortunately we know a bit about beer and were able to sort it.

You might be talking about Bronwyn. I went there last week. I heard good things, but it was just ok. It was way over priced. I think a friend and I had 3 beers each and a pretzel for 80 bucks. They are doing an Oktoberfest this weekend. I'm gonna try it again on Saturday. We will see.

That is the place. The Wurst plate is so morally offensive, were I drunk enough I would think about firebombing (hi NSA). Expensive, crap, and arrogant. Serious fail!

I live in East Cambridge. Bring me $80 and I'll provide you plenty of beer, better food, and the opportunity to watch me make my Winter Solstice Stout for entertainment.

That is the place. The Wurst plate is so morally offensive, were I drunk enough I would think about firebombing (hi NSA). Expensive, crap, and arrogant. Serious fail!

How the eff can a restauraunt eff up a Wurst plate? Get good sausage and kraut, pan it, serve with with good mustard and maybe some German potato salad (more or less). Not much to create unless they are actually making the sausage, mustard, kraut, etc.. Source the ingredients right and it should practically make itself.

EDIT: And yeah, Jacob Wirth's was never a top tier beer place, but you could get a good wurst plate there and some decent mainstream beers, pretty decent service. It used to be a somewhat nice place, semi-fancy but not pretentious. Now it is crap. They had some dude walking around in a cowboy hat yelling into a microphone, some sort of "entertainment".

German Wurst is usually very simple and easy. Do exactly what you say and get some Wurst, fry them and serve with mustard. Not them, they decided to make their own. So instead of nice little Wurst you end up with what looks like a Jimmy Dean cut of Wurst that is gritty and a slice of Wurst. Yes, not an actual whole Wurst, you get a single slice. It costs you $30 or so for four slices of Wurst. They deserve to be flayed for that alone but then they go that extra mile and make sure to put their own flair on the Wurst so that it tastes like someone took a perfectly good Wurst and added the exactly wrong ingredient in large quantities.

They are the Coors Light of German Restaurants. And that probably insults Coors Light.

Not them, they decided to make their own. So instead of nice little Wurst you end up with what looks like a Jimmy Dean cut of Wurst that is gritty and a slice of Wurst. Yes, not an actual whole Wurst, you get a single slice. It costs you $30 or so for four slices of Wurst.

It was probably made from grass-fed alpaca or vegan free-range pigs or some such crap.

paulthenurse said:
What IS funny is that you've been hiding from this thread since SWMBO wouldn't let you come to Masstoberfest, but the moment the conversation turns to talk of hot tubes of meat you come rushing right back.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Yup.

Wow... I am making a big long list of all of the people who suck and am simply clicking back through posts of this thread and recording names.

HELLLLLLLOOOOOOO?!?!?!?!?

No one?!?! No one at all is going to recognize the national holiday that today SHOULD be????

You people are effin ridiculous

Cape Brewing said:
Wow... I am making a big long list of all of the people who suck and am simply clicking back through posts of this thread and recording names. HELLLLLLLOOOOOOO?!?!?!?!? No one?!?! No one at all is going to recognize the national holiday that today SHOULD be???? You people are effin ridiculous

National talk like a trucker day? 10-4 good buddy.

Back