The Definitive "Best Recipe" Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I was thinking: wouldn't it be nice to have a definitive thread, a singular location, where we can all post our favorite recipes? It seems to me like a good way to spread quality recipes. I honestly don't care if it's yours, as long as you credit the author.

So, let's have at it. What are your favorite 3 recipes?
ven.gif

Chairman Cheyco said:
Isn't that what the recipe database is for? Or have you been posting your worst recipes there? :drunk:

All my recipes suck equally, so that's not an issue.

Really, having people post their three favorite recipes isn't the same as a wholesale recipe database. Let's say someone has 30 recipes in their database. Some might be better than others.

Hmmm. I suppose it's really going to depend on what kind of beers you like.

My most often brewed is a simple amber. 9-10 lbs 2-row, 1-1.5 lbs crystal, N. Brewer and Cascade hops. Great every time!

I also really like the vanilla porter. You can make it a bourbon vanilla porter if you want. Big beer and a really rich flavor. It's like drinking a meal. I need to make this one again, maybe towards the end of summer! See here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8944

Recently I brewed AHS's Blue Moon clone. Honestly, it's got to be one of the best beers I've ever made. Everyone who's had one has raved about it. Plus, it's cool because not everyone has had or knows what a Belgian Wit is.

Cheesefood said:
This stinks of a "What should I brew?" thread.

Not really. I'm on hiatus for awhile, and even when I get back to brewing, I have about 3 or 4 recipes in backlog. Just curious is all.

I think what he wants to do is rank and vote on the recipes in the database...

Wouldn't it be easier to have an option to vote and rank the recipes in the database?

Deadyeti,

That'd be a nice feature, though this isn't a democratic thing. Just posting your 3 personal favorites, in your opinion. I'm not looking for votes from anyone here. But judging by the not-so-warm-and-fuzzy reception I'm getting, I don't really care.

DeadYetiBrew said:
I think what he wants to do is rank and vote on the recipes in the database...
Wouldn't it be easier to have an option to vote and rank the recipes in the database?

But then you don't really get anyone's individual opinion on what they like best. I get when Evan's trying to do. I like hearing people talk about the beers they like the best, especially ones they've brewed themselves. I couldn't vote on most of the recipes in the DB because I haven't brewed them or tasted someone else's result of the recipe.

I understand what he's doing, and it wouldn't be bad, it would just be lists of peoples favorites... The only thing is my favorite recipe is always changing as I brew.

Lutheran Porter
SG 1.067
effeciency 75%
IBU 37

9lb Pale 2 Row
2lb Crystal 30L
1lb Chocolate
.5lb Black Patent

Chinook 60min
Mt Hood 10min
Mt Hood 0min

Nottingham Dry Yeast

Pumpkintastrophe

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale 56
Batch Size (Gallons): 5 gal
Original Gravity: 1.071
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 32.3
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 19.7
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days
Additional Fermentation: 3 weeks bottles

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%
Est SRM: 19.7
IBU: 32.3
ABV: 7.1
OG: 1.071
FG: 1.017
Pre-Boil: 5.72gal
Post-Boil 5.00gal

Mash:
9lb Pale 2 row
2lb German Wheat
1lb Vienna
.75 Crystal 120L
.5 Special B
4lb Cooked Pumpkin (100% canned pumpkin)

.5oz Northern Brewer 60min
.5oz Norther Brewer 20min
.5oz hallertauer 60min

Spices:
1oz Cinnamon Stick
1oz Ginger Root
.75oz Sweet Orange Peel

1pkg Safale 56
7grams of Coopers yeast
1tsp Yeast Nutrient

BADCOW Stout
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast
Yeast Starter: 2 days, 1 cup DME
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.020
IBU: 36
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: F'in Black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 168F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days @ 170F

8lb Maris Otter
1.5lb Flaked Oats
1lb Chocolate Wheat
.25lb Roasted Barley
.25lb Special B

.75oz Target 30min
1oz Fuggles 60min

1 Cup Lactose Secondary
4 Tablespoons Belgian Dark Cocoa Powder Secondary

1/2 Cup Lactose Bottling TIme
4 Tablespoons Belgian Dark Cocoa Powder Bottling Time

Mashed at 154 for 60 minutes
Batch Sparged with 186F Water

Name Interpretation:
C.O.W: Chocolate Oatmeal Wheat
BAD = BD = Belgian Dark (chocolate)
COW = lactose additions

That milk stout sounds tasteeee. BTW, I've always wondered about lactose...never used it, but I have some at home that I'm planning on trying out on my next stout. When is the best time to add it? Since it's powdered, does it cause problems mixing/dissolving when you add it to room temp beer in the secondary?

I never add it unless I boil it in some water first. I added some add switch from primary to secondary, swirled, tasted... good. Tasted again before bottling, was not quite what I wanted, poured a little into my priming mix boil (DME, lactose and a bit of cocoa). Was spot on.

Back