The cheapest brew set up I could build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage Iron

Reaction score
St. Croix River Valley in Western Wisconsin
A friend of mine was over this weekend and asked how much I spent to set up my brew set up. (He knows I'm new at this as well, so as we sat sipping beers on the porch, he wanted to know what it cost.)

I put together a Google doc with prices and links to all of my equipment. I'm fairly certain this is everything. Most everything should have a link you can click on to find where it was purchased. The goal here was to build the cheapest brew set up with a keezer. Hopefully this helps other newbies looking to get into the hobby.

Here's the link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bi8fn3QFP7D5HOJm3krfFx-g7L9P8TkNbzi2SMNdADw/edit?usp=sharing

As a footnote, here is the keezer I built with the parts listed above:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...gs-in-a-5-0cu-ft-freezer.647150/#post-8251714

Last edited:
Haha I would have mentioned the word "kegging" somewhere in your post. All the cost is for beer dispensing and I guess you only brew with extract & untreated tap water? Well at least I have a better idea of cost if I want to start kegging. :)

Also if you're getting free brew kettles, burners, propane, and fermenters... send me a few of each please & thanks!

Kegging... There, I said it. Lol

You are correct on one front. I started with extract brews, but have now moved to BIAB using the Home Depot 5-gal paint strainers. Water is good untreated cold Wisc tap water.

“FREE BURNERS” is a relative term. The burner, pot, and propane take was only free because I’ve owned it for the past 15yrs. One could argue that I should have included it in my “costing” but then we could start saying the same about the water faucet, the light switch, and the rinse water too. Lol

I think this is a great idea. If the point is to create ab equipment list with prices for potential new brewer, I think it would be more helpful to list an average price of a kettle and burner. Also maybe break it out between brewing equipment and packaging.

Also if you're getting free brew kettles, burners, propane, and fermenters... send me a few of each please & thanks!

Oh, I forgot to mention the free fermenters. Those are truly free. NB has a deal every 6 months or so. "Buy two brew kits, get a free Big Mouth Bubbler". The first one I got with two extract kits, the second one I just got with two all-grain kits. It seems to be a decent fermenter for the price (LOL). Now that I have a pair of them, we're pretty much set up, but I may score another one the next time they have the deal to get an "extra" if one get's messed up.

I think this is a great idea. If the point is to create ab equipment list with prices for potential new brewer, I think it would be more helpful to list an average price of a kettle and burner. Also maybe break it out between brewing equipment and packaging.

Thanks. The main reason I didn't list a kettle and burner is that there seems to be so much variation in what one can buy, that it's tough to nail down an "average price". As an example, I already had this generic turkey burner and pot. We got it from Wally World about 15yrs ago. The burner is good, the pot is large, but aluminum. If I didn't have one, and was buying for brewing, I'd be searching out the biggest SS pot with a spigot and therm as well as strong burner I could afford. That would have cost a LOT more to buy than my $35-ish "turkey cooker". I also use a fiberglass "welding blanket" wrapped around the kettle during the mash to keep temps relatively stable. Do I include that as well? In my head it just became a question of where to stop with what one "needs' to partake in this fun hobby.

I like your idea of organizing the supplies into two categories:
1) Brewing
2) Packaging

You need 4 fermenters at a minimum to have a workable pipeline. This is assuming your typical grain-to-glass time is a month before packaging. If ur kegging, 4 fermenters is enough but if you bottle like I do, another two will keep the beer flowing through the two-week bottle conditioning time. I'm starting to hate bottling because of this and look forward to building a 4-tap keezer.

11 gal brew pot and a burner for $120. http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2018/0...ner-more-119-27-best-price-free-shipping.html.

I still use picnic taps, which I prefer to a real tap. They’re easy to sanitize and basically disposable when the ball lock or hose wears out. Also, raid a local brewery or baker for free white 5 gal buckets and go to Home Depot for a gamma seal lid for keeping star San and grain. Gamma seals are about $7.

Back