The carboy that ate kihei !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuffalupagus

Reaction score
I started two new batches this weekend (saturday)

one was an all apple brew consisting of 4.5 gallons of Martinellis applejuice and 6 16 ounce cans of concentrate and two teaspoons of yeast nutrient- pitched Red star montrachet in there - all is going fine (I've done a recipe like this before with two cans less concentrate -came out phenominal even young - trying to up the Apple flavor and ABV with the concentrate as opposed to sugar)

the other brew I started is possesed by demons though...
2 gallons treetop and 2 gallons of safeway applejuice 4 pounds thawed frozen blueberries and four pounds of dark brown sugar pitched EC1118 in there - it's gone insane... I came home from work today and found the airlock full of red liquid... and it was making this godawful whistling sound! I think it was threatening me. I pulled the airlock to clean it and got a gyeser of red fermenting goodness right in the face!!! Since i can't put an air lock on it and keep it clear until the deamons depart the brew - I quickly disassembled my racking syphon, installed the end of the tubing on a fresh airlock, stabbed it into the bung - and stuck the end into a gallon bottle of water. it's still blasting evil into the makeshift blowoff tank! I think I've discovered a method of making blueberry flavored biofuel... time will tell - whatever the end result... I think it's going to be a real panty dropper, weather it's palateable or not.

what was your gravity on this

sounds yummy :mug:

donno :tank: - I go by the seat of my pants - don't have a hydrometer.
I just throw stuff togeather till it stops bubbling - give it a few months
and give it a test swig on bottling day... so far I haven't brewed anything that was too gross to drink.

I did, however create a pretty vicious dry apple wine with notes of rum/butterscotch (due to turbinado sugar) using EC1118 and that only had 2 pounds of added sugar in it... a 20 ounce bottle of it gets you pretty buzzed, two will get you drunk... so at 4 pounds od sugar and the fact that EC1118 is pretty tolarant of ABV this pissed off blueberry brew might be pretty dangerous if it's not to hot to drink.

well, it's still bubbling away madly - but at least the deamons have left the carboy, and I'm again able to run with a standard airlock on there - it's still whistling pretty loud... but it's not filling the airlock with red goo.
I think I can cancel the priest and excorcisim.

Wow i am interested in to see how this stuff comes out. Sounds like it should be tasty

How big a carboy are you using?

5 gallon #2 water bottle ( I know this will offend purists but there are NO homebrew shops in Hawaii that are still open, and shipping a glass carboy is about $130 dollars, not including the carboy itself... a "better bottle" is 50 to ship.) so I roll with what I can get on the cheap.

I've filled to just above the bottom of the bottle shoulder - those with 6 gallon carboys who try this may not have the same issue I had with overflow.

I intend to rack this to a secondry over 5 additional pounds of frozen blue berries after 4 weeks, and top off the carboy with blueberry juice (If i can find some here... I think a store in Pa'iia has some but it's 8+ dollars a quart...)

I'll keep you all posted

I gave this sucker it's first racking - I was afraid that it might get funky - I left a little more headspace than i like to -and there was a $hitload of bleached out (they looked like some sort of effed up ALBINOS ofter the EC-1118 got done with them) floating on the surface - I was afraid the ones on top they start to go off -since EC 1118 is so frigging quick I figured it would be safe to rack after two full weeks instaead of the intended four.

so I pulled out a freshly sanitized 5 gallon water bottle and dumped an additional 4 pounds of blue berries in there - used my paintball tank to purge air out of the carboy in favor of an all Co2 atmosphere- and commenced to racking
first i filled a 6 ounce wine glass with the concoction for a taste test - Whew!!!! gonna need some mellow time -I think it has some potential, but ABV is through the ROOF! I had a second glass just to confirm my findings and now I'm slightly drunk - and I'm a 220 pound male with a decent tolerance level built up... anyway... its a monster.
after I siphoned off all of the liquid I could from the primary - I topped off the carboy to the top of the bottle shoulder with 3 quarts of pure blueberry juice, re installed an airlock, and intend to let it sit for at least a full month and a half before messing with it again.
will update with further developments when available.

Snuffalupagus - Where are you finding Martinellis applejuice without having to sell your first born?
I'm terribly sorry to hear about you loss of blueberry cider, it shall be missed. :)

Snuffalupagus - Where are you finding Martinellis applejuice without having to sell your first born?
I'm terribly sorry to hear about you loss of blueberry cider, it shall be missed. :)

only lost a quart... and most of that was krausen/exploded blueberries -but don't worry though -moste of it hit me in the face and I got to taste it... pretty foul since it was only day 2 or so...

I decided to treat myself and go with the martinellis (usually use treetop)
but safeway has martinellis for 10.00 a gallon so i bought 5... discovered that Star market has it for 9.00 a gallon.

Back