The beginnings of Brew McQ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also going to be wired up and ready for testing the beginning of next week!! My GFCI breaker and 50' of 10/3 10 gauge wire has shipped, so I'm super excited about that...

(I only need ~25' of wire to get to the brew bench, however, we will be installing an electric water heater in the next couple of months as well, so I'll need the other half for that.)

A quick update...

All wired up and GFCI-safe ($100 for that breaker, it had BETTER be safe.. lol). I did run into a few problems along the way, of course, but got them all sorted out.

Nothing super exciting, picture-wise, but I've attached some just because. :) Please feel free to ignore the readout on the CP PID... that's what it spit out when I first turned it on.. :)

Today will be more tinkering with the PID and doing what I can to figure out all its ins and outs.

I need to re-mount the pump as well as figuring out where exactly I want/need to mount my chiller.

I think we're going to try a couple 5 gallon batches next week... see how everything goes and to tweak my process a bit more. Then it will be time to ramp up to 10 gallon batches!

Oh, sh*t! I almost forgot! I have a couple plastic conicals airing out on the deck! There was the "plasticky smell" in them that most people have described, but when I sniffed them on Sunday, there was no more smell. I should probably build my ferment "rack" and get them set up to start fermenting at some point... :rock:

IMG_20130923_164334_164.jpg

IMG_20130923_180612_568.jpg

1236728_10202162017680372_2000759327_n.jpg

Window fans are NOT sufficient! Where have I heard that before..? LOL

On the plus side, I set up a big fan behind me (about where I was standing to take this photo)) and that cleared out the steam nicely.

551196_10202162055041306_442522910_n.jpg

Brought her up to a boil then dropped the duty cycle in manual mode... 85% appeared to keep a really good rolling boil. I will tweak further with actual wort.

1236258_10202162098842401_936229669_n.jpg

Time to get in some pumping action... so with everything running, everything ran. I then pressed the E-stop and heard the breaker trip and everything shut right down. Awesome.

It took some doing to figure out the PID. Quite a learning curve for me, which is odd since I'm a "gadget guy". But finally with the help of reading and re-reading the manual over breakfast as well as the invaluable (and thorough) information at Kal's site, I finally managed through autotune and getting this thing to work... a number of times, I was just randomly pushing buttons to get the friggin thing to go... I wish I'd kept better notes.

The settings I changed:
Sn: 21
Pb: (I didn't need to change this one.. it was within 0.5 degrees, so close enough)
FILT: 5
A-M: 1
COOL: 10

I followed the Autotune directions per Kal's site. While it was autotuning, I reorganized my toolbox and sorted out the millions of terminal connections I've acquired over the course of this build. I didn't time how long it took, but it was quite awhile.. maybe 30-45 minutes? Dunno.

But it would appear that I am now able to heat water, maintain a boil and hit target temps. That, I believe, is half the battle.

Will update with conicals later.

1277760_190133604504160_876757706_o.jpg

Just needs a little trim around the backsplash and caulking behind the sink... but there is now running water in the brewery.

I don't have my BIG sprayer nozzle put in yet. The 6' hose I was going to use has a leak... so I need to find a short length of hose, when all the stores have put away their garden stuff..

An update on the Irish Red and the Milk Stout:

1374725_10202243071746673_469936719_n.jpg

Another week in the keg and that should be some GOOD stuff.

I almost hate to say this, but I paid only $75 for that AWESOME sink.

There was another one just like it, about 4 posts down on Craigslist.. they were asking $300. I might try to talk them down so I can put that sink in the kitchen.. it would be tres cool, especially since we're trying to move our kitchen to lots of brushed stainless...

Edited to add: They've bumped the price of it up to $500. Seriously!??

Very nice brewery build!

Consider me subscribed!

Thank you!

I almost hate to say that you've come in on the tail end of things. At the moment there's a lot of little things left to do.. I have a bucketlist of "tweaks", since 99% of the major construction is done.

At the moment I've been cutting up some trim.. getting ready to stain it. Hopefully, since the humidity has been in the low 50's, it'll set quickly and I can hang it up tomorrow... should be pretty nice once that's done.

1375048_10202257396944794_1261501583_n.jpg

1378612_10202257397464807_278849881_n.jpg

The trim is all cut and stained.

1390758_10202257595669762_87636368_n.jpg

Doors to the shop got the ol' Navy treatment.. If something is too dirty to bother cleaning.. Paint it!

Someone needs to invent an "insta-dry" paint. And stain. I really want to get that stuff nailed up.. should look pretty nice when it's all up.

I hope.

navy treatment ... lol.

better than the airforce treatment ... pay someone else to do it.

in the army, we just hide it .. and get some beer.

Brewery Update - I cut and stained the trim yesterday. It was still tacky this morning, but I really wanted to get it on the walls... doesn't look great, and I HATE the color, but for $5 for the gallon, I wasn't going to argue. I typically have a very, very hard time painting wood.

But anyway..

1382349_190825927768261_440260525_n.jpg

Next to the brew bench, looking towards the furnace room and stairs. I do have a door for the furnace room, but it's currently in use. Once I get a door to replace that one, I can bring it downstairs, paint it and hang it.

1383304_190825931101594_1638853564_n.jpg

From the furnace room. I have a good-sized cabinet to hang on the left hand side. Will need Tessa's help with that though. I also need more lighting on the half.

1379950_190825564434964_1438058489_n.jpg

Looking from the furnace room towards the workshop.

1377365_190826647768189_230464509_n.jpg

The view from the stairs.

1381490_190827017768152_53416162_n.jpg

My "industrial sprayer". The hose nozzle fits into a holder in the joists, keeping it out of the way until I need it.

So, my punchlist for the semi-near future:
  • Hang the cabinet.
  • Door to the furnace room.
  • Paint the floor.
  • Cove base around the bottom.
  • Lights!!
  • Conical fermenter stand.
  • Finish ferment closet walls.
  • Outlet covers.
  • Additional storage (empty cornies, where the bulk grains will go, etc.)
  • Better ventilation.

It's just a never-ending process.

So, since you are a golden god, does that mean you're almost famous, and what is the name of that Elton John song from the bus scene? I wish I had your space and know how. Great build, I'm a little jealous. Okay, really jealous.

Long time, no update... been busy with work and snow removal and brewing.

I pulled the trigger on a couple plastic conicals a good number of months ago, and I'm just now getting around to making room for them in my ferment closet... which meant building a shelf, and having to move my STC control panel.

Just assume that I've taken all moisture control precautions and appropriate insulating measures, etc...

I cut the holes at 18-5/8", or so I thought... they're pretty close, but not perfect, and there is *just* enough space for the conicals to slide through them if I apply some pressure to them... okay, the "pressure" being "me laying on them", and I'm pretty certain I won't have 235# worth of beer fermenting in them, but better safe than sorry.. I saw where someone had used pipe foam insulation (the one on the right) which seems to work well, but I have 40' of 3" firehose (retired) in my garage somewhere. I'm going to line the holes with that.

There should be plenty of room for yeast/trub catcher underneath, as well as a spigot so I can gravity drain them straight into kegs.

Yes, those are the STC-1000 instructions on the wall over the control panel. :)

IMG_20140405_131041_673.jpg

IMG_20140405_131055_901.jpg

IMG_20140405_131114_107.jpg

Nice upgrade to the fermentation chamber.

Not to worry, I keep my STC instructions close by also. I also have a quick paragraph I found somewhere on HBT that explains the instructions in understandable English. ;)

Long time, no posting.. been busy this spring with yard work, kitchen remodel and brewing.

Just pulled the trigger on some stainless bling for my conicals. Going to be doing up a double brew day in the next week or so and fill one of those bad boys up.. really looking forward to it.

Cheers!

Looking good! I really need to get back to brewing more often. I really need to finish building my EHERMS system. I am almost finally caught up on projects. Just have to rebuild the mower carb and then I think I can sneak a little time in for brewing and rig building.

A walk in fermentation chamber would be cool, but I'm not sure it's practical for me. I sometimes have 2 beers fermenting at 1 time and I think I can fit that in my current freezer set-up no problem. Only thing is the small fire I had inside the freezer due to my stupidity. It still works, but it doesn't look real good and it has a nice smoky aroma. Luckily the beer is locked up tight in a fermentor and not susceptible.

I wish I was close to getting caught up on anything... and it's looking like a major career path change for me in the near future as well, so I don't know how that's going to affect everything...

The ferment closet was a necessity. I'm tired of not producing *consistent* beer... Constant ferment temps should help. The electric setup is supposed to help, but I'm still at a loss trying to get things calibrated and working like they should be, which makes brewday pretty friggin stressful... all the money I've poured into this hobby is suppsed to make things easier and more consistent, but honestly, my Irish reds now aren't any more consistent than when I was boiling on a turkey fryer and fermenting in the bathroom. I suppose at some point I'll figure it out.

Only thing is the small fire I had inside the freezer due to my stupidity. It still works, but it doesn't look real good and it has a nice smoky aroma.

Your "Smoked Ale" should be amazing then. ;-)

I wish I was close to getting caught up on anything... and it's looking like a major career path change for me in the near future as well, so I don't know how that's going to affect everything...

The ferment closet was a necessity. I'm tired of not producing *consistent* beer... Constant ferment temps should help. The electric setup is supposed to help, but I'm still at a loss trying to get things calibrated and working like they should be, which makes brewday pretty friggin stressful... all the money I've poured into this hobby is suppsed to make things easier and more consistent, but honestly, my Irish reds now aren't any more consistent than when I was boiling on a turkey fryer and fermenting in the bathroom. I suppose at some point I'll figure it out.

I am experiencing the same, although I admit my system is not really being fully used yet. I brewed a few batches in the kitchen this winter/spring and I think it was more comfortable using the old methods.

I brewed a Blonde ale on my electric rig sans BK controller and it seems to have turned out fine. I think it will be better once my rig is complete and I can tweak my software to match my system.

I'm sure you will get to that point eventually too.

I'm considering a BCS... but, as with anything else, any brewing system is only as good as the brewer who is telling it what to do.

I need to spend some quality time with my PID and one of those $95 thermometers and really narrow down my temp ranges. I also need to move my thermoprobe so that it sits in the middle of my mashing grains.. I think that will help... I know that a lot of brewers recirculate during mash and have the thermoprobe on the outlet of the BK, but I'd rather know what the temp of my mash is, not the temp of the freshly-heated water coming out.

The other problem I have is my pump.. I simply don't trust it to not cavitate and burn out... especially when it's making odd noises. So while I initially started out recirculating, I've stopped that practice, and have "resorted" to the old timey system of shutting off my element and wrapping my kettle with a sleeping back and letting it mash that way, which, of course, is giving me more predictable results.

I'll be wrapping my kettle in some of that water heater insulation at some point.

I'm also going to be soon investing in a 100 quart stainless pot. My SWMBO is giving me sh*t about it though: "you're just going to buy a new pot so you can drill holes in it!" lol But I want to be able to do 10-gallon BiaB batches, and I'm thinking a 25 gallon pot should work nicely... I might even be able to squeeze in a 15-gallon batch with a smaller grain bill (Blonde Ale, perhaps)... and I know those "15-gallon" conicals will actually hold 19 gallons, so wouldn't it just suck to be dropping 3 kegs worth of beer per batch.. lol

I'm rambling.. I know. At work and bored (thankfully).

Don't judge. I've brewed everything from stovetop extract to full-blown 3v setups. I like my BiaB. :)

I've been trying to get grants, but no one is willing to give me money.. ;-)

Oh, nothing against BIAB, but I thought you had a manifold or something already. I've brewed BIAB a few times inside for smaller batches. Works fine. I'd rather use my cooler tun with manifold though.

I keep toying with the idea of going back to 3v... can't really bring myself to do it yet though..

I still have my old manifold and mash tun cooler, although I would need to upgrade the cooler for 10- and 15-gallon batches... so that's all in a holding pattern, stored safely in the back of my head somewhere. :)

Biab ftw. Less to clean. And with a steam basket it mashes the same as it would in a cooler. I got the 20 gallon bayou. But the steam basket doesn't have a lip

Nice to see you back!

I never really went anywhere... Lol

But our is nice to be tinkering with brewery stuff again.. Got one of my conicals nearly completed and waiting for the bank account to recharge a bit so I can pull the trigger on a 100 quart BK... Moving up to 10 and 15 gallon batches. Win.

Latest posts

Back