The Baby-Bottle-Nipple MLT Gasket Method w/pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre9er

Reaction score
So I had a 22qt. cooler sitting around that we sometimes use for camping, a day at the lake, etc. It's really too small to bring much though, so I figured, why not make a mash-tun?!?

Like most/many people I ordered the bulkhead kit form bargainfittings.com, all very high quality stuff I might add. However my cooler didn't originally have a spigot, so there was no pre-existing rubber gasket, and the walls had a lot of flex between them.

I read, and I read, and I tried this and that...I coated the threads with ptfe tape, I assembled the parts every which way...it kept leaking (underneath the nipple between the cooler wall and nipple, which meant liquid in the insulation).

I saw where a few people had used baby bottle nipples for a gasket on the inner wall of the cooler. Finally last night I picked up a two pack. These are the smaller nipples, not the huge 3" jobbies.

Here is an illustration of where I cut the nipple and then a few pics of the assembly. I can happily report no leaks!
The little flange left by cutting the nipple this way actually seats it in the SS washer. I'm using 1/2" hardware, too, FYI.

The PVC goes between the two cooler walls. You make the outer wall hole slightly larger. It's a 1/2" PVC union, actually, but I'm told 3/4" PVC works too. So from outside to inside the assembly goes:
Ball valve, SS washer, PVC/Union,inner cooler wall, baby-bottle-nipple gasket, ss washer, locknut.

babybottlenipplesm1.jpg

47184d1328802045-no-leak-mlt-bulkhead-design-forumrunner_20120209_094042.jpg

47185d1328802064-no-leak-mlt-bulkhead-design-forumrunner_20120209_094102.jpg

47186d1328802072-no-leak-mlt-bulkhead-design-forumrunner_20120209_094110.jpg

I've got nipple gaskets on HLT, MLT, and Keggle. No leaks, and they work extremely well. Plus it was so much cheaper to make my own than to buy a weldless fitting. But it did take some experimentation to get to the solid, no-leaking version.

Awesome! I wish I had thought of this sooner. I've got a whole grocery bag full of baby bottle stuff that we just haven't gotten around to throwing out yet. Time to raid the nipples...

Just noticed on that picture of baby-bottle nipple (I found that doign google search)...don't pay attention to the black dotted lines or numbers. They came with the image. The red dashed line is where I cut it.

Latest posts

Back