Getting a seal on cooler mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daggermark

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here and looking for some advice on how to make my cool-box mash-tun watertight. I've done 3 all-grain batches so far, so pretty much a novice! Hoping this is the right place for my first question...

As the title suggests, I've converted a cooler into a mash tun, and drilled a hole through it for a nipple/ball-valve. But I really struggle to get a proper seal on it. I've watched a bunch of similar conversions and it seems the answer tends to be - stuff loads of ptfe tape round it, which doesn't seem right to me!

Firstly, I guess its worth noting I'm from the UK, so all my fittings are BSP.

I started out with a BSP parallel-thread nipple, as I thought it would be easier to tighten it down to the specific wall-width of my cooler. As you probably know, parallel thread isn't watertight, so you have to stop water entering the thread in the first place. I tried to put a compression coupler on the end of the nipple inside the tun, with a fibre tap washer inside it. Fine - no water entering the thread. The next problem is getting it to seal against the wall of the cooler - I put an o-ring between the coupler and the wall of the tun, but the rim of the coupler isn't wide enough to retain the o-ring, and it deforms when tightening the nut on the outside - leaky tun.

I then tried to put a metal washer between the coupler and the o-ring, to give more surface area. Trouble with that, liquid could get down between the metal washer and the metal coupler, onto the thread, and so once again I have a leak.

So I moved to a barrel-nipple - these are tapered thread, so it doesn't matter if water enters the thread as the nut will always tighten down to form a seal. This was easier on the inside - just tighten a flanged backnut onto the nipple, put an o-ring next to it, easy. But on the outside, its another story. The barrel nipple has to be exactly the right length to get a seal, as far as I can tell. Too short, and you cannot tighten the outer nut enough to prevent back-flow leaks. Too long, and you cannot tighten it enough to pull the o-ring against the inside-wall of the tun.

Any ideas? Is loads of tape really the way forwards?

I still have my 10 gallon Rubbermaid mash tun, on which I used one of HBT member @Bobby_M's cooler bulkheads with a ball valve on the outside and it never leaked. The key is having a solid integrated flange on the inside to compress the flat silicone washer against the cooler liner so there's no way for fluid to get through. This is his barbed version - it came out well after the threaded version I used, but otherwise same idea. There's no threading for wort to follow.

1593568770932.png

I shudder to think of the shipping cost from NJ, but if similar fittings are available in the UK I highly recommend checking them out.

Cheers - and welcome to HBT! :mug:

Hey - thanks for the idea, that looks exactly the type of thing I need. I was considering welding a nut and washer to the nipple, but if I can just buy the part that would be ideal. I'll get searching!

Watch Bobby's video. Be sure to use plenty of PTFE tape on the thread where the locknuts are engaged. Reinforce the wall of the cooler so it doesn't flex. I ended up using JB Water weld 2 WaterWeld Epoxy Putty part epoxy in mine (tough as nails). Dig out the insulation and pack the cavity with about 1/4" to 1/2" material radially. Water will never seep into the cooler walls and degrade it.

He has to use teflon tape because he's using a threaded nipple fitting where the liquid will travel along the threads and there's nothing to block it. I hate having to change teflon every brew. Has anyone tried a barrel nipple or bulkhead fitting?

Latest posts

Back