The Assassassin ( My ferm chamber)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassassassin772

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I decided it was time to build a Fermentation Chamber. I totally forgot to take pictures while I was building it so I will just explain the process. I had a dorm fridge given to me so I gutted that out pulling the evap, compressor, and coil. I built from the floor up. I basically built a house structure. I built the whole unit with 4 inch thick walls with the outside being OSB, the walls filled with R13 bat insulation and the inside covered with 3/4 inch foil coated foam board. After completing the shell I taped and caulked all cracks. I used aluminum tape similar to what is used for duct work. I placed some polyurethane coated OSB on the floor for rigidity. For the door I used a 2x4 frame filled with insulation and covered with the foam board on the inside and the OSB on the outside. I used weather stripping to help seal the door. For heat I use a 25' heating cable used for reptiles taped to the inside walls ( it works great). To control temps I used the Ebay aquarium temp controller.

All in all the thing works great. Its dimensions are 41.5"x25"x38" the refer guts work great to cool it, the cable works great to heat it, and there is hardly any loss of temp. I will let you all know how low it will go in a few weeks once i cold crash my brown Ale. I will also get pictures up tomorrow. If you have any questions feel free to ask

Sorry for the delay but here are the pictures of the Assassassin. I didn't pull it out because I didn't want to disturb the Brown ale sitting in it. Enjoy

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

So far it's worked flawlessly. Temps hold amazingly well. The aquarium temp controller hasn't missed a beat. I am forever in debt to all who have posted their previous builds as it help a ton

What watt heating cable did you use? Can you control both heating and cooling with your controls? Really like your build. Is it big enough you could ferment two buckets or carboys?

don't know the wattage. It is a standard terrarium heat rope. I can control both heating and cooling. The temp controller is wired for both 1 plug heats and 1 plug cools. I got the idea and the wiring instructions from the thread in this forum. I can hold 2 buckets. I really wanted to build it bigger but this size is all i have room for. the way i built it i can easily remove a side and build it out if need be.

Back