The Agony of the line pop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So there I was putting my HLT on the stand to start my sparge with 200degree water.. The hose popped out as I was hooking it up sending a stream of near boiling water down my side from armpit to waist. I was wearing flip flops (don't worry my feet are fine) I do however, have a line of blisters forming down my side, and even worse now I have to filter and reheat new sparge water.

My Point? If you use a cooler with a hose stuck in a stopper.. Check the integrity before using each time!

Thanks for the warning. We brew so often that sometimes we forget "safety first". I've never been injured badly, but had a few steam burns myself just because of not thinking.

Sorry to hear about your burns, though- make sure you get them looked at if you get too uncomfortable.

Those flip flops may have saved you from more serious burns. I've seen it happen back in my food service days; shoes can be a sink for hot liquid spills.

I still have a scar on my arm from a steam burn nearly two years ago; a lesson to drink moderately while brewing.

Those flip flops may have saved you from more serious burns. I've seen it happen back in my food service days; shoes can be a sink for hot liquid spills.

I still have a scar on my arm from a steam burn nearly two years ago; a lesson to drink moderately while brewing.
The sad thing was I hadn't started drinking yet :(

That's right up there with leaving the kettle valve open as you start the sparge and the valve is about crotch high.:eek:

I got my chest burned carrying sparge water last year. The pot didn't have a lid on it and I got a nice splash. Big blister and I still have a red mark.

200 degree water? Is it me, or is that a little hot?

Heh.

Forgot, I got burned Sunday.

My wort was about finished boiling, so I dropped in the IC. I was standing there, talking to my son and did no notice one IC hose was next to my foot...until the blast of steam and boiling water shot out.

HOT FOOT!!!

:eek:

Wait, so you just have a stopper jammed into the spigot opening on the bottom of the cooler. That sounds like an accident waiting to happen... again.

I know the feeling, I have a nice calf tattoo/branding from my propane burner. Be careful brewing and keep the imbibing to a minimum while brewing with dangerous equipment ;).

Latest posts

Back