The ABV Race for IPAs - Getting too High?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparger

Reaction score
This may be heresy to some, but I'm interested in whether the trend of ever increasing ABV in American IPAs is trully resulting in better favor/balance or not. Is this more about marketing than substance? For example, I've made double Pliny clones, and NB's Kama Citra sessions, as well as a few all chinook IPAs sessions. For my unsophisticated palate, 1.06 OG is all I need to reap the benefits of the super hopped beers. Are these heavier ABV versions really necessary over a lighter session IPA? Perhaps this question brings into play whether the IBUs are getting over the top too, which may be driving the ABV climb. My moderate ABV IPAs made with moderate dry hops and unfiltered kegged beer typically are super flavorful and fresh. The diminishing returns on 3-5 more pounds of grain (grainfather setuo) just dont seem worth it to me - especially when I can drink more of the session stuff without it going to my head. Perhaps this question shows my ignorance - I'm no expert. I certainly do appreciate the experimentation going on.

That's the American way, everyone has to be more extreme than the next guy. The great thing is, you can make what you want, and not make what you don't want. :mug:

In my personal opinion, yes. But what do I know. High IBU's are not my preference and I'd prefer to keep the abv as low as possible while maintaining flavor.

I'd rather have 2-3 beers while hanging out than perhaps only 1.

Hell if it were possible to make non-alcoholic beers with just as much flavor that's what I'd be doing.

One of the wife's and my favorites is that NB Kama Citra but I gotta say I love a big brew. Mabe just a passing fancy but that's where I'm at. Only drink one or two in a day but love a warming hefty brew.

Back