The $500 CraigsList Blichmann 14g and tayfun h35g procom 1/3hp 2,6000btu/hr glycol build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustthisnsx

Reaction score
Perhaps a long-running fault of mine.....but I've always turned to CL for deals over retail. Whether that be car parts, paintball ish, gun stuff or even brewing stuff... I can't help it! But like anything CL you should be ready to put some work into it to bring it back to life. Follow along if you want to see and contribute some much-needed input on a glycol build!

So a touch of background, skip if you like pictures ;) I've been brewing out of buckets for 10+years but a recent accident pushed me to look at how I can reduce lifting during brewing and fermentation. I chart pH and gravity slopes daily on new beers and lifting buckets from of a deep freeze was no longer an option. Looked at the conical and brew bucket options out there as casters seemed like a simple way to roll wort from the brew stand. BUT they are bloody expensive new! Turned to the used market and stumbled on some SS 7g w/ blowoff units from the Dallas area for $200 each and settled on $350 for the pair. Totes would have been $40 and grayhound an additional $80 for the pair. not a bad deal at all but this would have have been 2X every part and dual FTSs... $$$ Then I stumbled on a Blichmann 14g for $300 even, SOLD.

IMG-2642.JPG
IMG-2697.JPG
IMG-2695.JPG
IMG-2690.JPG

Next up was the glycol chiller. Lots of DIY options and then there are homebrew specific ones from $800 penguin or ss brew tech units above the 1K mark. Couldn't justify that kind of coin, so back to CL. Found a number of MicroMatic and UBC units but still well above $500. Then I stumbled over a Tafun H35G 1/3hp Procom 125ft run unit on OfferUp which was recently reduced from $600 to $300, offered $225 and got a bit! Took a look at it and it was MINT! These systems are typically used in a taproom where the taps are with remote cold storage or in this case, a past life at Jamba Juice.

IMG-2716.JPG

Now for the FUN part in combining these two units! GOALS are to utilize this for regulating 14g conical fermentation temps at ale, lager and cold crash temps as well possibly cool a trunk line of just a few feet from a fridge outside the garage to taps inside. The only other brewing application I've seen of this unit was chilling a 3bbl conical... and that looked to have had big 1/2 lines. I'll post if I can locate the post again. If my math is correct the SS systems are just about 2,000 btu/hr and the pump does 10L/min or 41g/hr whereas this does a minimum of 90g/hr at 2600btu/hr! Like I said, overkill and overpressure! But how to reduce the flow and pressure? Thus far, I've yet to attempt anything but the possible options as I see it are as follows. Let me know if you have a better idea!
- abandon the large pump and buy a SS Brew Tech or a similar submersible pump. Abandon is a harsh word as I'd likely repurpose it for a canner ;)
- somehow slow the motor driving the pump
- add a restrictive oriface in line (assuming the pumps bypass can handle that much backpressure)

For temp control, I'd likely try and mirror the programming of the FTS with an existing STS-1000 I have and adding a side mounted FTS coil to the conical. Let me know your thoughts! Until then, I'll be brewing Kveiks w/o any temp control!

IMG-2766.JPG
IMG-2807.JPG

Last edited:
Abandoning the trunk line pump has its just too powerful! Went with this lil guy which is basically the same unit like the SS brew tech FTSs. Grabbed two gallons on UBC glycol to get a ~30% mix in the 5g reserve, based off what I read on 'EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT GLYCOL A Brewery Glycol System Guide'

Now on to the immersion coil. There are these or the ss version. I've seen some mounted to the lid but that kinda looks like a PITA... also saw some mounted to the side. any thoughts?

Anyone ever insulate their Blichmann Fermentor? The only one I've seen is from Blichmann and looks like a dipper...

Abandoning the trunk line pump has its just too powerful! Went with this lil guy which is basically the same unit like the SS brew tech FTSs. Grabbed two gallons on UBC glycol to get a ~30% mix in the 5g reserve, based off what I read on 'EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT GLYCOL A Brewery Glycol System Guide'

Now on to the immersion coil. There are these or the ss version. I've seen some mounted to the lid but that kinda looks like a PITA... also saw some mounted to the side. any thoughts?

Anyone ever insulate their Blichmann Fermentor? The only one I've seen is from Blichmann and looks like a dipper...
My first brew fermenting with a glycol system based on a trunk line chiller with the factory pump, I ended up popping the cool zone brew jacket. Lol, when cool zone says 9psi max, they mean it! 3gal glycol all over my floor. What a mess.

Those gear pumps for the trunk lines are crazy strong.

My first brew fermenting with a glycol system based on a trunk line chiller with the factory pump, I ended up popping the cool zone brew jacket. Lol, when cool zone says 9psi max, they mean it! 3gal glycol all over my floor. What a mess.

Those gear pumps for the trunk lines are crazy strong.

EWWWW! haha that had to have been a mess! probably worse than beer.... What did you use for lines? material and thickness?

Made a bit of progress.
Tracked down the submersible pump like those on the FTSS.

Also scored a SS coil which will be drilled and mounted within the conical.

Got some quick disconnects as recommended on another thread.

And cleaned the chillers bath, eww! But it’s all better now.

Next up, wiring the stc-1000... since mine is just a single vessel, my guess is that this just triggers the pump rather then a solenoid when multiple fermentors are being used.

Oh and mounted the TV... one TV off the ground, snowboard and bike on the ground as that’s where they one hung lol
E7A47C52-0DBC-4FE3-A407-EA112F1D388B.jpeg
0CAD180E-7610-4EC2-BE56-2CF718933645.jpeg
60799F38-78A1-4050-9A7E-47DF6BF6D369.jpeg
CDFBF18F-2249-42B4-8C1E-ECFB468A1582.jpeg
2F8B82C0-BED9-46F5-8C7D-9CB6E327D911.jpeg
D05E6D1C-D251-4F79-891F-943133C92F01.jpeg
96CE6FB2-F4B0-4D0E-821C-32E844591D54.jpeg

Awesome read, keep it comin. Love the polished kegs, they are gorgeous.

Holidays came up so this got put on the back burner... BUT it's time to get some temp controlled comp beers in the FVs. Conical happened to be full of peaches and a Saison, so I did what anyone would do... and added an FFTS coil to a plastic bucket lol. It was a good test run for the glycol chiller though as the pump sourced pumped pure water just fine with a 12VDC 800mH power supply, but once 30% glycol was introduced, there wasn't enough power to move fluid. tried half a dozen other power supplies until I landed on a 2000mH unit which partially work well.... Anyone know what the SS systems mH output is to the pump? I say partially as if the pump is submerged to the bottom of the glycol reservoir, pressure drops off. If it is moved to the upper 1/3 of the tank, the pressure is good :? Anyone else experienced this?

IMG_9696.JPG
IMG_9701.JPG

IMG_9683.JPG
IMG_9680.JPG
IMG_9685.JPG

Latest posts

Back