The 2016 NHC - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our club had two awesome members hand deliver. :rocking:

Too bad I brewed marginal beer. It's in the "zone".. but just barely.

I "judged" mine and I figure about:

36 for the american brown. (nothing really screams american about it)
36 for the DIPA (brewed on 4/20 I think it's too old for what it will be up against, right now it tastes great, but in 10 days not sure.)
38 for my Amber. Solid beer might do better than a 38 just depends on how they feel about the hops.
I hit a home run with my ipa rebrew. Hopefully it will be well received in the competition. If not I still get to enjoy the rest of the tasty brew myself. Win win!

Sent mine second day air last week. It was delivered at 10:30 am on the second day... so, all went well I think. I was happy with all 3 of my rebrews. So, hopefully the judges agree.

It was pretty sweet being able to live close enough and deliver my entries. Just too bad my wife did it for me when she drove up to visit her parents and I couldn't checkout the brewery since I stayed home.

I'd like to, probably won't. Conference is expensive enough. Add in hotel and airfare and it's way too much.

This year I can take public transit the whole way (metro to bus to light rail but commuter train was also an option), and crash at my friend's place instead of a hotel.

Are they done judging already? I have an award letter link on my finals page that says I took 3rd in American Pale Ale.

Are they done judging already? I have an award letter link on my finals page that says I took 3rd in American Pale Ale.

Some of the judging is likely completely done by now...

Sometimes they accidentally release results prematurely. You should "screen shot" it quick, as they'll likely close it off again until after the awards ceremony on Saturday.

If it's true, congrats! :mug:

Mine is filled in.

NHCPDF.jpg

I'm stunned. I didn't expect scores until they announced winners on Saturday night! Will we get scoresheets for Final round also?

AJB_2nd.PNG

44, Nice. Pretty big drop off from 2nd to 3rd.

Thanks! Again, I'm stunned. :) Well done to you as well! :mug:

If it's anything like the first round, the beers may have been served at different temps, resulting in greatly different scores, but if you advanced to mini-BOS, yours could have shined brighter than higher scoring beers. For example, I got 1st at Austin with a 34.5 while 2nd got a 43. Toby G actually judged that round and said that the beers at the beginning of the flight were much colder than those near the end, so that impacted the scoring, though obviously the judges advanced those they felt had merit.

I'm not saying this is what happened at Final Round, but it's possible.

Although my letter didn't have any score on it I did notice it was worded different from the two that placed here. Mine said "thank you for competing in the final round" where the two winners here said " congratulations on medaling in the final round" and it dosent have a place for placement only score. Maybe I'm looking too much into it or i didn't place and their easing me into disapointment lol

Letter is gone but still shows my score of 39.5 and 3rd place (Spec Cider).

Did beer BOS yesterday. Some damn fine beer there. Two of 26 missing because brewer only sent 2 bottles.

Congrats to everyone that won.
Cheers--
--Michael

Letter is gone but still shows my score of 39.5 and 3rd place (Spec Cider).

Did beer BOS yesterday. Some damn fine beer there. Two of 26 missing because brewer only sent 2 bottles.

Congrats to everyone that won.
Cheers--
--Michael

Bet those 2 folks are kicking themselves...

I'm kicking myself. my DIPA only scored a 35.5 which is about where I placed it because it was a bit too old. Made Mini-BOS. I know if I would have waited another week or two it would have been perfect. My other beers scored a 41 3rd and a 32.5 (which to me it was the best of the 3)

Are you sure these are correct? Mine shows the exact same letter that was available after 1st round results were released but the date on the letter says today. Results aren't posted until after the banquet

Are you sure these are correct? Mine shows the exact same letter that was available after 1st round results were released but the date on the letter says today. Results aren't posted until after the banquet

Did you make sure you're in the FINAL url. It changes the URL for me when I login. I have to put the final back in.

They are correct, these scores are different from my first round.

My other two were 36 for blonde ale and 30 for czech dark lager. No indication they made Mini BOS. I thought the czech dark lager would do better than it did. But, the blonde was probably about where I would have put it. Always hope for them to do a bit better. I think this is the 3rd time my Dortmunder has made mini BOS in the finals... just can't break through.

My other two were 36 for blonde ale and 30 for czech dark lager. No indication they made Mini BOS. I thought the czech dark lager would do better than it did. But, the blonde was probably about where I would have put it. Always hope for them to do a bit better. I think this is the 3rd time my Dortmunder has made mini BOS in the finals... just can't break through.
Should try putting the NE ipa in next year! Still waiting on my score from it

Should try putting the NE ipa in next year! Still waiting on my score from it

Maybe..... Perhaps it will even have its own style at some point:)

With only 5 entries, I always have trouble getting away from my core group of 8 or so beers I tend to enter the most: Dortmunder, Helles, Scottish 70, Dark lager (of some sort), British bitter, british mild, porter, blonde......

Always leery to use up an entry on IPA/APA as it has historically been a ****-show of entries.

Latest posts

Back