The 2016 NHC - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took 1st in Cat 20 (Sour) with a lambic in San Diego. I'm dying to get my score sheets back. My Helles didn't do so well...it scored 31.5

I see that I advanced to mini-BOS but don't see the results. Should they be posted on the competition website or will the results of mini-BOS come with the score sheets...whenever they end up coming?

I took 1st in Cat 20 (Sour) with a lambic in San Diego. I'm dying to get my score sheets back. My Helles didn't do so well...it scored 31.5

I see that I advanced to mini-BOS but don't see the results. Should they be posted on the competition website or will the results of mini-BOS come with the score sheets...whenever they end up coming?

You might get a placement in mini-BOS on your scoresheet, they might just check the box, they might do neither. There's no requirement to tell you how you did in mini-BOS unless it's top 3.

You might get a placement in mini-BOS on your scoresheet, they might just check the box, they might do neither. There's no requirement to tell you how you did in mini-BOS unless it's top 3.

I was guessing that if I had placed at all in mini-BOS that it would state the place rather than "yes" in the column on the website.

I was guessing that if I had placed at all in mini-BOS that it would state the place rather than "yes" in the column on the website.

The website just says that you made mini-BOS, and generally unless you place that's all the information that you'll get. Most comps the only way you know is if they check the little box on the scoresheet. All depends on how thorough the judges/stewards for that category are. I check the box on the scoresheet ("this beer advanced to mini-BOS") on all applicable beers when I judge, period, for any competition. Some judges don't bother even though they should. So you may get nothing. My advancing Mild had neither placement nor the mini-BOS box checked on the scoresheet. My Ordianary Bitter had both the mini-BOS box checked, and also had a placement (4th) in mini-BOS listed.

I've never listed placement in mini-BOS outside of 1st 2nd 3rd, and few judges I've encountered do. Typically when actually doing the mini-BOS, we're not recording that unless it's so incredibly close that we are giving honorable mention(s). Beers kicked out of mini-BOS are just discarded.

The website just says that you made mini-BOS, and generally unless you place that's all the information that you'll get. Most comps the only way you know is if they check the little box on the scoresheet. All depends on how thorough the judges/stewards for that category are. I check the box on the scoresheet ("this beer advanced to mini-BOS") on all applicable beers when I judge, period, for any competition. Some judges don't bother even though they should. So you may get nothing. My advancing Mild had neither placement nor the mini-BOS box checked on the scoresheet. My Ordianary Bitter had both the mini-BOS box checked, and also had a placement (4th) in mini-BOS listed.

I've never listed placement in mini-BOS outside of 1st 2nd 3rd, and few judges I've encountered do. Typically when actually doing the mini-BOS, we're not recording that unless it's so incredibly close that we are giving honorable mention(s). Beers kicked out of mini-BOS are just discarded.

I hate honorable mentions. I'd wish they'd do away with it. When I make mini-BOS and don't place, I'm okay with it. Honorable mention to me means that some judge fought a little bit, but didn't fight quite hard enough for my entry. :)

I hate honorable mentions. I'd wish they'd do away with it. When I make mini-BOS and don't place, I'm okay with it. Honorable mention to me means that some judge fought a little bit, but didn't fight quite hard enough for my entry. :)

I don't give them often. But there's been times where either we're literally picking 3rd vs 4th only on personal preferences, and we've been trying to figure it out for a long time and simply cannot give a good valid objective reason why one isn't placing. I'd say less than 5% of categories I've judged.

There definitely are a few Toby Gs in the world, but as far as I'm aware, I was the only one judging beer in Austin. The casting director definitely wasn't there. Which category?

I can tell you another factor in score differentials that we ran into in Austin: temperature. The cold room at 4th Tap was extremely cold. The first few bottles in a flight were usually at a disadvantage due to that. But for mini-BOS, they would have all been on a level playing field since all of them were served at the same time.

Do you belong to one of the Houston clubs?

The category in question was American Pale Ale. Both entries I submitted (the other was a Berliner Weiss) were judged at the beginning of the flight (2nd for APA and 1st for BW). I did expect some higher scores so hearing that the earlier positions may have been scored lower is at least a possible reasoning for that. The 1st place in the category does make up for the mid-30s score though! :mug:

I'm not in a local club at the time being but have been considering trying one out for a while. My fairly busy schedule makes it difficult, which is why I gravitate towards The BN as they fit my schedule better. ;)

I placed second in Austin with my American IPA (Category 16), however my Wit (Category 19) with a score of 47.5 did not place. Super excited to score that high, must have been same great competition in my region.

There definitely are a few Toby Gs in the world, but as far as I'm aware, I was the only one judging beer in Austin. The casting director definitely wasn't there. Which category?

I can tell you another factor in score differentials that we ran into in Austin: temperature. The cold room at 4th Tap was extremely cold. The first few bottles in a flight were usually at a disadvantage due to that. But for mini-BOS, they would have all been on a level playing field since all of them were served at the same time.

Do you belong to one of the Houston clubs?

Just FYI @barrooze my apa was 7/8 in the flight got a 44 and a 42 for a 43 average first round. You should come hang out at the next barley coherent meeting, it should be on 5/21 at 6pm @ brew it yourself.

My rebrew should be there, it would be cool to compare.

Question for those who have experience with judging specialty barrel aged beers. Have you found that the majority of the winners have actually aged their beer in a barrel (say bourbon barrel) vs using oak chips that have soaked in bourbon in a secondary. Reason I ask I'm looking to do a big stout that I'm looking to age. Trying to see if it's worth the trouble of procuring a barrel and all the things that come with it. Seems to be a ton of judging experience here so I thought I would start here first. Trying to fill the time until the next deadline in this competition :)

Just saw Chicago results, Jeff Carlson took 4 out of the 6 possible spots for cider,

This must be the same Jeff Carlson that has accumulated 74 GlintCap medals in the past 11 years

Does anyone know Jeff? I want to meet this guy!

I placed second in Austin with my American IPA (Category 16), however my Wit (Category 19) with a score of 47.5 did not place. Super excited to score that high, must have been same great competition in my region.

How is this possible?? A 47.5 not advancing wtf? I mean I believe you but what the eff?

How is this possible?? A 47.5 not advancing wtf? I mean I believe you but what the eff?

Agreed. That's the highest score I've ever heard anyone get. Even the best commercial beers judged in the "calibration" section of Zymurgy judged by some of the best judges never score over 45.

I would say the two most likely scenario's are:

1.) First bottle truly was spectacular. However, the second bottle - used in mini BOS had something wrong with it and was not as good for some reason.

2.) The judges who were judging the flights and passing the good beers on the Mini BOS were not very experienced. Perhaps experienced enough to pass along the good beers, but not experienced enough to really judge and score as well. As a result, the scores were simply inflated more than they should have been in a particular flight compared to another......Then, when more experienced judges sat down to do the mini BOS..... the 3 best beers were moved on.....and this wasn't one of them.

Or.... perhaps a combination of both of the above.

I scored a 46 in the final round of NHC and it took 3rd. I was happy it placed, as I would've been shocked that the judging pool at final round NHC would score something a 46 that wouldn't place in mini-BOS.

:off: I have been happy to see scores for placing entries dropping a bit (based on what I've seen and who I've talked to).....I think score inflation was happening at some of these bigger competitions and I didn't like hearing how many 40+ entries were not placing...

My entry that got a 2nd place in the first round this year scored a 33.5...

Final round entries are due May 18-27! Really doesn't give us much time to rebrew. I guess I'm brewing this weekend.

I would say the two most likely scenario's are:

1.) First bottle truly was spectacular. However, the second bottle - used in mini BOS had something wrong with it and was not as good for some reason.

2.) The judges who were judging the flights and passing the good beers on the Mini BOS were not very experienced. Perhaps experienced enough to pass along the good beers, but not experienced enough to really judge and score as well. As a result, the scores were simply inflated more than they should have been in a particular flight compared to another......Then, when more experienced judges sat down to do the mini BOS..... the 3 best beers were moved on.....and this wasn't one of them.

Or.... perhaps a combination of both of the above.

I am guessing it was probably #2 as this makes the most sense to me. I am not upset, just shocked that I could score so high and not move on. I am glad that there are some people out there that enjoy my beer :)

lol...that's exactly what I told another judge at a mini-BOS. To me, it's kind of like adding insult to injury. "Yeah, your beer was good, but not good enough to actually get a prize." I'd rather just not know. Kicked last or kicked first, it's all the same to me. Still got kicked.

The category in question was American Pale Ale. Both entries I submitted (the other was a Berliner Weiss) were judged at the beginning of the flight (2nd for APA and 1st for BW). I did expect some higher scores so hearing that the earlier positions may have been scored lower is at least a possible reasoning for that. The 1st place in the category does make up for the mid-30s score though! :mug:

Yeah, their cold room had to be at or just below freezing. Some styles that's fine, but for the more flavorful stuff, I find it's fairer to judge warmer. There's also the natural tendency for judges to be stingier at the beginning of a flight "in case a better beer comes along later."

I'm not in a local club at the time being but have been considering trying one out for a while. My fairly busy schedule makes it difficult, which is why I gravitate towards The BN as they fit my schedule better. ;)

If you're in Pearland, the Bay Area Mashtronauts are probably closest to you. I'd also put a plug in for the Foam Rangers, at the very least to attend the Dixie Cup in October. I know guys from both.

My entry that got a 2nd place in the first round this year scored a 33.5...

guess it depends on a lot of variables.. i had a 34 and 39 this year...both mini bos, neither placed in the first round though. congrats on the 46! what style?

So I looked at my certificates and some say silver and bronze but are not listed as winners. What does that mean, is this like every kid that plays gets a trophy sort of thing?

So I looked at my certificates and some say silver and bronze but are not listed as winners. What does that mean, is this like every kid that plays gets a trophy sort of thing?

That's basically it. They're based on what score you got and I don't know why they bother with them to be honest. They don't mean anything.

Thanks. I can see certificates for entries that actually placed, but to give them for every entry does seem sort of meaning less.

Especially when they send ribbons for entries that place in the first round and medals for those that place in the 2nd round.

Did not realize placing entries in the first round got ribbons. I went back and looked at the contest website and found an explanation of the certificates. Looks like it is not a everyone get ones thing, but pretty close, 25 points and above.

Did not realize placing entries in the first round got ribbons. I went back and looked at the contest website and found an explanation of the certificates. Looks like it is not a everyone get ones thing, but pretty close, 25 points and above.

That might be new. The used to give them out for every score. I thought below 25 it was just a "certificate" not even wrong.

Or maybe I'm remembering incorrectly who knows

As long as I've been entering, they give out gold, silver, and bronze certificates, which are based on a range of scores....

Entirely meaningless with regards to placing in the competition...

At least they make them available electronically now - they used to send hard copies of the certificates...

As long as I've been entering, they give out gold, silver, and bronze certificates, which are based on a range of scores....

Entirely meaningless with regards to placing in the competition...

At least they make them available electronically now - they used to send hard copies of the certificates...

I could have sworn I got one in the mail for a beer that the judges absolutely hated and gave a 19 a few years ago. (wasn't a beer that would ever do well in comps, peat bomb Scottish 90/- aged on oak soaked in Laphroaig, entered it as a specialty beer, knowing full well it was an acquired taste, smoky scotch drinkers loved it, everyone else hated it)

What are everyone's plans for next year's competition? Anyone brewing anything now for next year? Will you resend anything that places in finals this year?

Didn't have anything go through to the finals this year, but had two go to mini-BOS: a Hef and an Old Ale. The Old Ale got a 38, and both judges commented that it would get better with age (I did only brew it in December) and I should submit it again next year... So that's the plan!

I could have sworn I got one in the mail for a beer that the judges absolutely hated and gave a 19 a few years ago. (wasn't a beer that would ever do well in comps, peat bomb Scottish 90/- aged on oak soaked in Laphroaig, entered it as a specialty beer, knowing full well it was an acquired taste, smoky scotch drinkers loved it, everyone else hated it)
Did kinda the same thing. Sent in an experimental smoke bomb and got a 23. Wasn't crazy about it myself. Found a friend who loved it and gave it all away. He described the consistency as pepto bismal lol. I still question his judgement.

My Chicago score sheets arrived today. The note at the bottom of the summary page surprised me.

20160430_134758.jpg

Yeah, I got my sheets on Monday from Nashville. The type of sheets they use in NHC judging aren't the best for feedback, but the feedback I got and my scores were good.

I have two beers heading to the final round, too. (A saison and a mixed-fermentation sour). Which is nice.

Ribbons arrived today; I'm sure everyone else's will arrive soon.

Good luck to those that advanced
--Michael

Back