The 2016 NHC - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's SOP for Nashville.

I just received my email that Austin was complete (I already knew they finished Saturday evening since I judged there).

Well, looks like I'll have to wait even longer to hear Nashville's results!

Thanks for submitting your entries to the Nashville judging center, and/or volunteering for the competition.

The judging for your competition began last weekend, but the judges were unable to judge all of the entries during that time. The competition organizers are doing their best to complete the judging as soon as possible this week. When all of the entries have been judged, the results will be verified by the AHA. You can anticipate about a week or longer after the conclusion of the judging for verification to be complete.

All score sheets from the competition are sent out by the Nashville competition organizers one to two weeks following the conclusion of the judging.

You will be notified again by email when the results from your competition are posted on the Winners page of the AHA website.

After all 12 First Round competitions are complete, your results—with a downloadable letter and any certificates earned by your entries’ scores—will be available in your record on the competition site. You will receive an email telling you when you can log into your record for this information.

Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,

John Moorhead, Director
Janis Gross, Director
National Homebrew Competition
Thank you for the heads up! It's nice being in the loop on these kind of things. I will wait until the end of the week now to start hitting refresh :)

I'm actually confused how Nashville continues to be a judging center when problems there happen every year.
This is my first year submitting so I didn't know anything about previous issues. I hate to hear about it tho. It is a very convienient location for me to drop off at. Hopefully they will be able to get it straightened out by next year so they can remain a judging site. Are all locations required to have the same ability to accept the same amount of entries? I wonder if it is an organization of volume thing or a lack of judges?

This is my first year submitting so I didn't know anything about previous issues. I hate to hear about it tho. It is a very convienient location for me to drop off at. Hopefully they will be able to get it straightened out by next year so they can remain a judging site. Are all locations required to have the same ability to accept the same amount of entries? I wonder if it is an organization of volume thing or a lack of judges?

Not sure. But most centers run smoothly it seems, except for Nashville. I'll be seeing for myself this year as I'm driving up to judge Philly on Saturday. Not my first time entering but my first time judging it. If my rank promotion comes in quickly enough I may try and judge finals if I can.

I sure wish I could speculate on my entries, but i just got an email fromthem, and the AHA just disallowed my entries. Not only that, but they're keeping my entire $56 entry fee. Because.

There goes several hours of bottling effort, too.

I'm actually confused how Nashville continues to be a judging center when problems there happen every year.

They had a fair amount of help also. Janis and a couple other high ranking judges I know traveled to help.

I'll be seeing for myself this year as I'm driving up to judge Philly on Saturday. Not my first time entering but my first time judging it. If my rank promotion comes in quickly enough I may try and judge finals if I can.

There's no reason not to register. Last year they made it sound like only National or higher judges were going to be able to judge, but I judged in Grand Rapids even though I was Rank Pending at the time. When it comes down to it, if they tell you they don't need you, you just get a free day.

They had a fair amount of help also. Janis and a couple other high ranking judges I know traveled to help.

There's no reason not to register. Last year they made it sound like only National or higher judges were going to be able to judge, but I judged in Grand Rapids even though I was Rank Pending at the time. When it comes down to it, if they tell you they don't need you, you just get a free day.

Yeah, I think they're judging on Thursday, yes? I'll register anyway. I may get lucky and be National by then anyway. But the seminar list looked lackluster to me this year, so I'm not worried about hitting most of them. So taking a day to judge instead, especially entries that made finals (although from what I understand that doesn't mean a whole lot, many seem to be either excessively aged IPAs or excessively rushed rebrews, yes?), sounds like a good plan to me.

I sure wish I could speculate on my entries, but i just got an email fromthem, and the AHA just disallowed my entries. Not only that, but they're keeping my entire $56 entry fee. Because.

Why? Bottle rule infraction? I get the impression that where many comps will let small bottle rule infractions slide (marked cap, taped entry label, etc), NHC is pretty hard about it? Given the size of the comp and the logistics, I could see why.

That blows! Waiting the extra few weeks for the Denver judging only to have that happen is a kick to the sack. Did they give you any indication what was wrong? They must've been sorting them, and found a problem, I guess, but the least they could do is tell you what the issue was.

What was the reason? I assume it had to be something about the bottles you entered being against the rules?? Or, did they arrive late?

Yeah, I think they're judging on Thursday, yes? I'll register anyway. I may get lucky and be National by then anyway. But the seminar list looked lackluster to me this year, so I'm not worried about hitting most of them. So taking a day to judge instead, especially entries that made finals (although from what I understand that doesn't mean a whole lot, many seem to be either excessively aged IPAs or excessively rushed rebrews, yes?), sounds like a good plan to me.

Yep, Thursday. My experience has varied. Judging category 9 in Grand Rapids was great. Category 15 in San Diego? Not so much. Many rushed rebrews. Fingers crossed, I'll be excluded from judging IPAs anyway. That's how things go right? The ones you expect to advance never do, and the ones you think are going to get lost in the shuffle wind up doing well. lol

I'll probably volunteer to judge the morning session at the NHC Finals. I'd rather go to the seminars in the afternoon.

I judged Dark Lagers at the NHC Finals in GR two years ago. One of the beers was probably the worst beer I've ever judged. It had butyric acid in it. Smelled like vomit and tasted like fecal matter (or was it the other way around?). Why even send that in? It was the first time I've judged the Finals and I was surprised the beers weren't better than they were.

I'm rebrewing my beer for the NHC Finals on Friday. I'm starting to think I may have waited too long.

What was the reason? I assume it had to be something about the bottles you entered being against the rules?? Or, did they arrive late?

They didn't like the size of my bottles. So whatever, they have rules and follow them to a T. Even though the rules don't say your fees will be confiscated if your entries are disqualified.

That's fine. I've never actually been disqualified from a comp for bottle size, but it's their comp. But, all I'm asking is half my fee be refunded.it seems a bit of an over reaction to keep the entire fee. Or is it just me?

Probably just you. Bottle size rules were pretty clearly specified. In fact, it's the first bullet under "How to Enter This Competition"

"1. What kind of bottle is required?
Beer, mead and cider entries must be in sealed, food-safe containers that meet these criteria:

Hold a minimum of 10 ounces (296 ml) in volume.
No more than 2.75 inches (7 cm) in diameter and no more than 9 inches (23 cm) in height, to ensure that they will fit in standard longneck case box slot.
Must be free of ink, paint, or paper labeling other than the competition entry label. Obliterate any lettering or graphics on the cap with a permanent black marker.
Bottles not meeting the above requirements will be disqualified."

Refund policy is also pretty clear:
"Refund Policy: Refunds will be issued on an extremely limited, case-by-case basis, upon request and pending review by the AHA. Refunds will be authorized only for prohibitively extenuating circumstances that prevent paid entries from being submitted, and only in the event that the refund request is received prior to February 23, 2016. No refunds will be given after February 23, 2016. Contact the AHA National Homebrew Competition Director, Janis Gross, before February 23, 2016 to request a refund."

They didn't like the size of my bottles. So whatever, they have rules and follow them to a T. Even though the rules don't say your fees will be confiscated if your entries are disqualified.

That's fine. I've never actually been disqualified from a comp for bottle size, but it's their comp. But, all I'm asking is half my fee be refunded.it seems a bit of an over reaction to keep the entire fee. Or is it just me?

I guess it matters where you send them. We had several bottles in St. Louis that could have been disqualified but none were. One entry even came in swing tops!

Probably just you. Bottle size rules were pretty clearly specified. In fact, it's the first bullet under "How to Enter This Competition"

"1. What kind of bottle is required?
Beer, mead and cider entries must be in sealed, food-safe containers that meet these criteria:

Hold a minimum of 10 ounces (296 ml) in volume.
No more than 2.75 inches (7 cm) in diameter and no more than 9 inches (23 cm) in height, to ensure that they will fit in standard longneck case box slot.
Must be free of ink, paint, or paper labeling other than the competition entry label. Obliterate any lettering or graphics on the cap with a permanent black marker.
Bottles not meeting the above requirements will be disqualified."

Refund policy is also pretty clear:
"Refund Policy: Refunds will be issued on an extremely limited, case-by-case basis, upon request and pending review by the AHA. Refunds will be authorized only for prohibitively extenuating circumstances that prevent paid entries from being submitted, and only in the event that the refund request is received prior to February 23, 2016. No refunds will be given after February 23, 2016. Contact the AHA National Homebrew Competition Director, Janis Gross, before February 23, 2016 to request a refund."

This is true, but where do they say they'll keep your entry fee of your entries are rejected? Any other comp has refunded my fee.

Reserving the right to disqualify for bottle violations is clear. As is the refund policy. If you sent something that didn't qualify, you should have known better. Sorry mate, but if you violated the rules, that's on you, not them.

I've never seen a competition take bombers. They are a nightmare to deal with. And these bottles took up a spot that could have been used by another brewer, which is why they don't refund money.

I've never seen a competition take bombers. They are a nightmare to deal with. And these bottles took up a spot that could have been used by another brewer, which is why they don't refund money.

What? You've never seen a comp take bombers? Are you serious? I've never seen one not take them. I can see your second point, though.

Reserving the right to disqualify for bottle violations is clear. As is the refund policy. If you sent something that didn't qualify, you should have known better. Sorry mate, but if you violated the rules, that's on you, not them.

I agree completely they have the right to DQ my entries.

Can you show me where the rules state they will keep the fee in the event of a DQ? Like I said, I've always gotten a refund when my entries were DQ'ed.

What? You've never seen a comp take bombers? Are you serious? I've never seen one not take them.

I've only ever seen one. The one I'm organizer for. We take up to 750s, but we're really small, and it's focused on big beers and Belgians so people tend to bottle in large format bottles. Most comps specifically state a physical size for space reasons. In other words, they want them to fit in a standard case box so they can be stacked in a cooler.

I agree completely they have the right to DQ my entries.

Can you show me where the rules state they will keep the fee in the event of a DQ? Like I said, I've always gotten a refund when my entries were DQ'ed.

They state that no refunds will be issued after a date that precedes the entry due date. Ergo, no refunds. It's pretty plain.

I have only seen a few competitions allow bombers. Almost all explicitly say that it's 12 oz only, some even saying 12 long neck only.

It's hard to find any sympathy when you didn't follow the rules. I've got a few beers that would be great to send for comps. But they're in bottles that routinely aren't allowed, ergo they don't get sent.

What? You've never seen a comp take bombers? Are you serious? I've never seen one not take them. I can see your second point, though.
So is it ignorance or stupidity you are basing your argument on? Did you not read the bottle rules or did you read them and think they didn't apply to you? You are correct in the fact that they did not directly say refunds would be made to DQ'd entrys but they did say that refunds would be made at extreme discretion until a specific date in February. Therefore, entrants who did not meet the specified submission criteria (you) after the date would not receive a refund. Am I missing something?

Bombers. I sent in bombers last year with no issue. It just seems excessive to keep my entire fee, for the honor of having my 2 year old lambic thrown in the trash.

If it makes you feel any better, most comps give away extra bottles to staff or local club members helping with the judging. They probably wound up in someone's fridge and not the trash.

All the comps I enter are pretty specific about bottle size. Its the same reasoning as not being able to use non generic caps, or having distinguishing marks on the bottle. Your entry could be identified by the type of bottle and in theory give an advantage if a friend who judges knew you put the entries in bombers.

Wait.... "always gotten a refund when your entries were DQ'ed"?????? This has happened multiple times to you? If I had been DQ'ed from comps several times, I have to say - I would do a lot better job of reading the rules in the future so I did not get DQ'ed anymore.

Sorry your entries were not judged...that would suck for sure. But everything was very clear in regard to bottle rules and the fact that once you enter, and take up spots in the contest that other people now cannot use, you are not getting your money back. There is really nothing here that you have a right to be upset about.

They state that no refunds will be issued after a date that precedes the entry due date. Ergo, no refunds. It's pretty plain.

I have only seen a few competitions allow bombers. Almost all explicitly say that it's 12 oz only, some even saying 12 long neck only.

It's hard to find any sympathy when you didn't follow the rules. I've got a few beers that would be great to send for comps. But they're in bottles that routinely aren't allowed, ergo they don't get sent.

Right. Because I was supposed to know on 2/28 that m my entries would be DQ'ed on 4/1.

Right. Because I was supposed to know on 2/28 that m my entries would be DQ'ed on 4/1.

Yes. You were supposed to know that. Because it says it very clearly in the rules that the bottles you were sending weren't allowed, and if you sent them you would be disqualified.

There's no more point discussing this.

If it makes you feel any better, most comps give away extra bottles to staff or local club members helping with the judging. They probably wound up in someone's fridge and not the trash.

Yea, that's good to know. There were some previous gold medal winners in there.between the $56, the effort, and the high hopes, it sucks.

OTOH I did just win first and second at a local contest last weekend. Suck it, NHC!

I've only ever seen one. The one I'm organizer for. We take up to 750s, but we're really small, and it's focused on big beers and Belgians so people tend to bottle in large format bottles. Most comps specifically state a physical size for space reasons. In other words, they want them to fit in a standard case box so they can be stacked in a cooler.

Interesting. In the 20 or so comps I've entered over the last 3 years or so, I've always entered bombers.

Ugh. I had written my entry numbers on the caps to avoid myself putting the comp labels on the wrong bottles. Mine were submitted to Chicago, so I guess I'll wait and see. If they are indeed rejected, it's totally my fault, so no expectation of a refund. 1st timer. Only entered 2 as a dip of the toes into competitions.

I guess it matters where you send them. We had several bottles in St. Louis that could have been disqualified but none were. One entry even came in swing tops!

As long as the bottles adhere to the 2.75" width and 9" height, they would be acceptable under the rules. And now someone from the comp gets to go home with some cool swing top bottles.

Ugh. I had written my entry numbers on the caps to avoid myself putting the comp labels on the wrong bottles. Mine were submitted to Chicago, so I guess I'll wait and see. If they are indeed rejected, it's totally my fault, so no expectation of a refund. 1st timer. Only entered 2 as a dip of the toes into competitions.

I do this as well, but always remove the writing on the cap with nail polish remover after I put the comp labels on.

Latest posts

Back